Active Writeable in-game Map?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
atarumoroboshi18

Active Writeable in-game Map?

Post by atarumoroboshi18 »

I'm wondering if there is anything like this. Essentially, it's a map that can be brought up in game and you can write on it or place icons on top of it. You can use icons or letters like Xs, Os, etc. or write in text at anywhere you want on the map. Don't know if I've ever seen something like this before and just wondering.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Active Writeable in-game Map?

Post by wildweasel »

Doom has this functionality built in by default, actually; press the M key (by default) while the map is open to drop a numbered marker where you're standing.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

That function is incredibly limited, however. You can't clear only one marker. It always clears all of them. And you're also limited to 8 or 9 if I recall correctly. Overall it's a trash feature and I'm not sure why it even exists. Plus it's clientside so you can't even mark something for other players to see in multiplayer.

Try this instead: viewtopic.php?t=61643
It's not exactly what you're asking, but it serves a close purpose.
atarumoroboshi18

Post by atarumoroboshi18 »

So this isn't exactly what I requested, but it's fairly close. viewtopic.php?f=43&t=73743 I asked about maps/markers in the Ashes Afterglow thread and ZikShadow decided to whip up a mod called 'Extended Markers'. It's a new menu that needs to be bound, but it allows you to drop different icons on the map to denote things like ammo, health, points of interest, etc. It looks like it could be extremely helpful for big maps.

Return to “General”