[Fixed] [Strife] Mauler weapon not registered after picking up

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

[Strife] Mauler weapon not registered after picking up

Postby LushKava » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:05 pm

During a play-through of Strife, after picking up the Mauler weapon for the first time, I noticed that it is not properly registered as belonging to the player.

1) Load save21 (the link for which is below)
2) Walk through the portal that's visible directly ahead
3) Turn 90 degrees to the left and jump through the opaque wall section
4) Pick up the Mauler
5) Press the Z key; the pop-up inventory makes it appear as though the weapon has yet to be collected
6) Switch to another weapon; switching back to the Mauler by pressing "7" is now impossible

As the save is too large to be attached here, here is a link to download it which is good for 7 days. I'll retain a copy in case it is needed thereafter.
LushKava

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Strife] Mauler weapon not registered after picking up

Postby LushKava » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:26 pm

Apologies; I just realised that the save isn't clean. To successfully load it depends on a mod that I'd entirely forgotten that I'd added (SmoothStrifeWeapsV01). That is, until I tried to load the save with a cleanly re-generated gzdoom.ini. Now it occurs to me that the bug might be in the mod rather than GZDoom, though I'm not sure. I'll try to find out.

That aside, trying to load this save using a 'clean' GZDoom install reveals an unrelated bug, which is that the application segfaults hard (running commit e8f007c6c here). It seems that the save loading routines are affected by multiple memory-safety hazards.
LushKava

Postby LushKava » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:39 pm

OK, it's definitely the mod that's responsible. Sorry for filing this against GZDoom. As noted, I had initially forgotten about it. This can be closed but please do note the crash bug mentioned in the preceding comment, for which the provided save is a valid test case.
LushKava

Postby Rachael » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:21 pm

I'm not going to close this if there is an issue with the crashing - it's preferable to resolve those even if it is the mod's fault, if possible (though it may not always be possible to fix those).

Can you use Mega.nz to upload the file so it stays more permanent and this can be investigated?
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby LushKava » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:06 pm

Indeed, GZDoom should not crash. That's a point that I made in the other thread; an application should (ideally) not crash on invalid input, be it because the save system was revamped, a mod is no longer being loaded or anything else. To formally reject the input would be preferable.

Here's a MEGA link, as requested, and here's the mod. In the absence of the mod, attempting to load this save causes a segfault. The only thing that I can add is that the use of this mod affects the saved weapon class names. Not wanting to throw away my progress, I attempted a naive edit whereby the "Smooth" prefix is removed from the class names referenced by the JSON files but it didn't help. As for the Mauler bug introduced by the mod, I'll notify the author.
LushKava

Postby _mental_ » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:32 am

Crash is fixed here.
_mental_

Postby LushKava » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:01 am

_mental_ wrote:Crash is fixed here.

With that, I was able to respond to the console messages and get my save file back into a usable state. Thanks.
LushKava

Return to Closed Bugs