A non-snowy version of this texture?

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Enjay

A non-snowy version of this texture?

Post by Enjay »

Does anyone know if there is a version of this texture available that doesn't have snow on it?

The above came from Eternal Doom (the original team TNT one, not that cheap modern knock-off ;) ). I've had a good look through the resources but I can only find a FLAT in the non-snowy form and, obviously, that only covers 1/4 of the wall:

and it's not a good match for any of the other quarters. Given that the non-snowy flat exists, I guess that the whole 128x128 patch may have existed at some point. Does anyone have it?

[edit] I just had a go at re-creating the non-snowy version. It's not that good, but I could just about get away with using it:
an attempt was made.

However, I suspect that the original would still be quite a bit better - or if anyone else wants to have a go at their own version (or improving mine) that would also be welcome.
Gez

Re: A non-snowy version of this texture?

Post by Gez »

Does it have to be as much as possible the same texture? Like you're doing a map that's visited in different seasons? Because you could for example use OBRCKB01 or OBRCKB02 from OTEX:

Image Image
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm actually trying to make the inside and outside of the same building - snowing outside and not inside (because roofs ;) ). So the snowy texture would be used on the outside of the building, and the non-snowy one on the inside: two sides of the same wall. There will also likely be some places where one is placed close to the other (e.g. under an overhang that protects from the weather) and I might try to do a fade from one to the other too. So, they do have to be a close-ish match.

Having checked my own edit in game, it's nowhere near good enough. The bricks are not distinct enough and the whole thing just looks messy.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Maybe do the reverse, make a snowy version of an existing clean brick texture?

(shoddy non-artist attempt with one of the OTEX examples)

8-)
Gez

Post by Gez »

I think I found your texture. Your snowy version is 3BRICK16 from Eternal Doom 4: Return From Oblivion, right? I didn't find it in eternall.wad nor in retres.wad.

It seems to be based on 3BRICK1A.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

That's a bingo!

You're absolutely right about the Eternal Doom version - sorry, I should have specified. And now that I have the name, the texture was indeed in there all along. :oops:

Thanks very much for tracking it down.

Also, thanks Cali for your version. I actually quite like that too, so I'll hang onto it in case I need a different snowy texture (quite likely). Thank you. :)

[edit] I just noticed that imgur named Cali's file cOLDf3H.png. Seems appropriate. [/edit]
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Warning, my version may not tile properly :laff: I did it really quick-and-dirty at work, with some clever filters and layer blending in GIMP, and didn't bother pixel-pushing or testing it. If you want something more proper I could take another shot at it later. Glad you like it though!

8-)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

As far as tiling goes, a couple of the side seams where the snow is in the cracks could do with a little blending. That's easy enough. The top/bottom join could do with a little bit more work, but should be doable.

Return to “Resources”