GZdoom 4.4.2 Freezes (Intel Graphics)

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

GZdoom 4.4.2 Freezes (Intel Graphics)

Post by Guest »

My new laptop with an "Intel UHD Graphics with Thunderbolt for Intel 10th Gen Core i5-10400H" (dell spec), periodically freezes during game play in GZDoom. It freezes in any IWAD I choose, thus not just during a certain game or level. Sometimes I can go a full day with no freezing, other days it freezes 3-4 times in a row after a few minutes of play. My old laptop with an Intel HD Graphics 4000 never locked up. I am using GZDoom 4.4.2. I don't know what else to post to give more details. about the issue.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GZdoom 4.4.2 Freezes

Post by Rachael »

This is a known issue, and one we have absolutely no control over. Intel Graphics drivers are extremely shitty and break at even the very slightest provocation. GZDoom cannot control this - they just break, seemingly for no reason, causing the freezes that you describe.

Sorry - but there's nothing we can do. Some users have reported changing to different driver versions helps. You can try Vulkan too ... it might help, it might not.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: GZdoom 4.4.2 Freezes

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Rachael wrote:This is a known issue, and one we have absolutely no control over. Intel Graphics drivers are extremely shitty and break at even the very slightest provocation. GZDoom cannot control this - they just break, seemingly for no reason, causing the freezes that you describe.

Sorry - but there's nothing we can do. Some users have reported changing to different driver versions helps. You can try Vulkan too ... it might help, it might not.
I wanted to see how Vulkan works and it seems to work until I get a sudden crash at a random time in a game with this message:

Execution could not continue.

Could not submit command buffer: device lost

Not sure if that is still a result of the bad Intel graphics drivers still but it seems to be what the screen freezes are like for the OpenGL render, though at some point the crashes where happening more often I think because of all that was happening at once, got tired of trying to play it at that point...
Pillowz_Here

Re: GZdoom 4.4.2 Freezes (Intel Graphics)

Post by Pillowz_Here »

What mods were you using? Anything with major graphics changes? Because when I play PB, it freezes fairly often, but stuff like Final Doomer runs fine.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

Pillowz_Here wrote:What mods were you using? Anything with major graphics changes? Because when I play PB, it freezes fairly often, but stuff like Final Doomer runs fine.
Regardless of using heavy mods or just plain vanilla, their was always the problem of it freezing or crashing.
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

I wonder if this has to do with Intel's later generations, because I'm on a i7-6770HQ with a Intel Iris Pro 580, and I never had anything freeze or kernel panic.

I'm kept up to date on Linux kernel releases and Mesa releases too ontop of this, currently on Linux 5.10.16 (at the time of writing) and Mesa 20.3.4, most problems I ever have are polygons corrupting all over the place and textures and sprites turning into flashing, rapidly repositioning white, green and magenta squares.

Has anyone had GZDoom (and other games) freeze or crash their iGPU within Linux, or only on Windows? Are the drivers for Intel Graphics worse on Windows than they are on Linux?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

This is not relevant to Linux because the authors of the Linux drivers are open source contributors, not vendor drivers like it is with Windows.

The problem described in this thread have nothing to do with the open source drivers.
Calinou

Post by Calinou »

Two things that might be worth trying as a workaround:

- Use the software rendering backend within GZDoom's options.
- Alternatively, keep using the OpenGL rendering backend, but use a software OpenGL implementation to run GZDoom. (Download the Mesa library and place it next to the GZDoom executable, so that it doesn't affect your entire system.) This lets you keep the OpenGL-only features, but it'll be slower than the software backend. Being conservative with resolution and graphics settings is highly advised, as your CPU will be doing all the work that your GPU is supposed to do. Consider using a 4:3 resolution instead of widescreen to further improve performance.

For advanced users, the aforementioned software OpenGL implementation also has an OpenGL-over-Direct3D12 implementation that might be worth trying out. It's harder to set up though (see the repository README). This is also only viable for recent enough Intel IGPs with Direct3D 12 support.

Return to “Technical Issues”