DEH issue with Doom I / Ultimate Doom

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!

DEH issue with Doom I / Ultimate Doom

Postby James Flasch » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:06 pm

The latest version of GZDoom seems to have a problem with displaying episode-end messages from DEH files in Doom I / Ultimate Doom. Load up the game with any Doom I megawad that has a DEH file and that file (EX. Invasion.wad and Invasion.deh), IDCLEV to any episode's level 8 and exit the level and the default episode-end message will appear instead of the one in the DEH file. The attached log file is from a test run in which I started GZDoom 4.4.2 with the above files, started a new game, IDLCEVed to E1M8 and clipped straight to the exit switch, hit it, and got the default end-episode text instead of that in the DEH file. Strangely, this bug does not affect Doom II.

invasion.log
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Flasch

Re: DEH issue with Doom I / Ultimate Doom

Postby drfrag » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:48 am

This is the wad: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... ds/inva_19
First version affected by the bug is 4.0.0.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby _mental_ » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:04 am

With introduction of localization support, end episode texts are not identical to original messages. Double spaces were removed (ep. 1, 2, 4) and letter case was changed (ep. 4). I didn't check texts other than Ultimate Doom's.
_mental_

Postby James Flasch » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:57 pm

_mental_ - the bug is that end-episode messages in DEH files don't override the default messages as they should.
James Flasch

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:42 am

Letter case should not matter, but the double spaces should probably be removed before comnparing contents.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby _mental_ » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:08 am

_mental_

Postby 3saster » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:35 am

_mental_ wrote:Fixed.

Almost! C6TEXT (the intermission screen before MAP32 of Doom 2) is missing a \n at the end in GZDoom, so this fix misses that one (either the language lump should be updated, or more should be added to this code fix). Of the 22 episode texts across Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, TNT, and Plutonia, this is the only non-matching one not covered by this fix (every other episode text is either already correct or fixed by this patch).
3saster

Postby _mental_ » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:00 am

Adding more conditions to code is bad idea in my opinion. If we really need sophisticated heuristics here, I would rather do a fuzzy comparison, via Levenshtein distance for example.
_mental_

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:20 pm

I generally agree, but making an exception for line feeds at the end may be necessary because these are somewhat problematic within a spreadsheet.
Graf Zahl

Return to Bugs