[Fixed] [4.4.2] Memory leak

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

[4.4.2] Memory leak

Postby phantombeta » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:06 pm

This is not the same as this one that got fixed. It's either a different bug, or that one didn't get fully fixed.
Memory will climb at a somewhat fixed rate (determined by the amounts of whatever classes/actors/thinkers cause the leak) and the allocated RAM won't go down, even if you start a new game. (The only way to deal with it is by restarting GZDoom)
Using the "gc" CCMD to force the GC to run immediately - or even constantly - doesn't help at all, either, so there's definitely a memory leak.

This can be reproduced reliably by:
  • Spawning lots of instances of the "ZombieStormtrooper" actor in Hideous Destructor with the Ugly as Sin submod loaded, with UaS' "Advanced AI" module loaded.
  • Spawning lots of enemies in the lastest master of my mod, Se7evidas
Neither cause memory leaks in 4.3.3. There's definitely more mods that trigger the memory leak too, and I'll be updating this list as I find them.

Agent_Ash/Jekyll Grim Payne has also said that he's getting memory leaks with his mod in the Discord, Beautiful Doom, but I haven't been able to confirm this with him.
phantombeta
In the meadow of sinful thoughts, every flower's a perfect one

Location: Brazil, South America, Earth, Orion-Cygnus Arm, Milky Way
Discord: phantombeta#2461
Twitch ID: phantombeta_
Github ID: Doom2fan
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [4.4.2] Memory leak

Postby Caligari87 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:21 pm

For reference, here is all the code enabled by my "Advanced AI" module in Ugly As Sin, if it makes debugging/troubleshooting easier. Of particular interest might be the searching.zsc file, since I think that's what Ugly as Sin and Se7evidas might have in common. I think Josh's Universal Enhanced AI uses a variant of that code too, but I'm not sure if it causes this memory leak.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Kizoky » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:46 am

I can also confirm the "leak"
I spawned 200 actors from my mod, went up to 2GBs, I removed them and GZDoom was still using 2GB memory usage (I even changed levels), though it goes down for a while removes about 500mbs until it climbs up to 2GBs again, and this goes on and on
Kizoky
I smell like gravity

Discord: Kizoky#0375
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby _mental_ » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:34 am

_mental_

Return to Closed Bugs