Quaker's DOOM 2.3: A Quake Weapons mod for DOOM

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheOldKingCole

Quaker's DOOM 2.3: A Quake Weapons mod for DOOM

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Remember OSJCLatchford's Quake: Descent into Heresy? (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46438)

I thought, this is cool, but what if It was for DOOM? And being the Master Amateur reverse engineering hackjob I am,
I converted the mod for DOOM. Have fun bunny hopping and Rocket Jumping to victory!

Changelog:

Version NecroPoster
-He fixed the radsuit, everyone go thank him

2.3 Changes
-Fixed some of the Nailgun code (Thanks again Ac!d)

2.2 Changes
-Yeeted the Doom Balance Version
-Implemented Ac!d's Weapon and powerup Code (Thanks once again Ac!d)

2.1 Changes
-Fixed Super Shotgun spawn issue

2.0 Changes

- Player Sounds changed to Quake sounds
- Grenade launcher now spawns on chainsaw instead of Super Nailgun
-Super Nailgun now spawns on PlasmaRifle
-Super Shotgun is no longer available in DOOM 1 if using Doom Balance
-Basic Health item now spawns on stimpack rather than health bonus
-Health bonus included in mod
-Shotgunguys now drop 4 shells on death rather than a shellbox

1.1 Changes

-Doom II's super shotgun no longer spawns, and is replaced by a shellbox[/spoiler]

To Do:
Spoiler:
Trailer:

Link:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/0pqbf21w ... m.pk3/file

Credits
Spoiler:
Last edited by TheOldKingCole on Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 11 times in total.
MrRumbleRoses

Re: Quaker's DOOM: A Quake Weapons mod for DOOM

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

is there anything worth trying so far?
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

MrRumbleRoses wrote:is there anything worth trying so far?
The mod is finished on release so yes.
Just play with any wad or megawad you want and enjoy the quake weaponry
Carrotear
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Carrotear »

Is there a link or...?
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Carrotear wrote:Is there a link or...?
Oh shit I forgot
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

So I forgot to add the download link, so yeah, you can download it now
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

Aside from some sprites that I presume are still using Heretic's color pallette, this is solid! Nice port.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Wivicer wrote:Aside from some sprites that I presume are still using Heretic's color pallette, this is solid! Nice port.
Thanks, and Yeah, some of the sprites still use heretic's color palette, and I don't know enough about programming or modding to fix that at the moment. Someday I may comeback to it and fix it, but it won't be until I get more experience under my belt
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

TheOldKingCole wrote:
Wivicer wrote:Aside from some sprites that I presume are still using Heretic's color pallette, this is solid! Nice port.
Thanks, and Yeah, some of the sprites still use heretic's color palette, and I don't know enough about programming or modding to fix that at the moment. Someday I may comeback to it and fix it, but it won't be until I get more experience under my belt
If you're using SLAD3, then you can right click it, go down to graphics, then select "convert to...". Then from there, click the dropdown arrow on the left and select "Heretic" and then click the one on the right and select "Doom." Then just click convert. You can also do this with multiple images. Just make sure they all use the same palette and click "convert all" instead of "convert"

EDIT: Alright, now that I've played it a bit, here's some feedback! So far I've only played the Quake balance version.
Good stuff:
+ I enjoy the fact that you gave us the option to play it with either Quake or Doom balance. That's pretty nifty.
+ The spawns generally seem pretty fitting and there wasn't quite as much of an ammo issue as I thought there'd be.

Not so good stuff:
- The health bonuses give way too much health. Like, by level 3 of Doom 2, I had 200 health. The stimpack is also oddly not replaced, so I feel the health bonus replacement would do better as a stimpack replacement after you remove the ability for them to heal above max health.
- Ammo pickups are sorta imbalanced. At least for the shotgun shells. The shotgunners dropping 10 shells seems a little bit much, especially considering how effective the shotguns are.
- The player seems to still use the vanilla player sounds.

Personal nitpicks/suggestions:
~ Maybe put the grenade launcher on the chainsaw spawn? I dunno, I just feel like the super nailgun is more of a plasma rifle-tier weapon.
~ Do you have any plans to port over the enemies featured in Descent into Heresy? I always enjoyed using that addon.

All that being said, I did quite enjoy what I played of it, and I totally encourage you to keep this stuff up! It's always cool to see new modders develop. Good luck, and I'm excited to see where you take this.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

If you're using SLAD3, then you can right click it, go down to graphics, then select "convert to...". Then from there, click the dropdown arrow on the left and select "Heretic" and then click the one on the right and select "Doom." Then just click convert. You can also do this with multiple images. Just make sure they all use the same palette and click "convert all" instead of "convert"

EDIT: Alright, now that I've played it a bit, here's some feedback! So far I've only played the Quake balance version.
Good stuff:
+ I enjoy the fact that you gave us the option to play it with either Quake or Doom balance. That's pretty nifty.
+ The spawns generally seem pretty fitting and there wasn't quite as much of an ammo issue as I thought there'd be.

Not so good stuff:
- The health bonuses give way too much health. Like, by level 3 of Doom 2, I had 200 health. The stimpack is also oddly not replaced, so I feel the health bonus replacement would do better as a stimpack replacement after you remove the ability for them to heal above max health.
- Ammo pickups are sorta imbalanced. At least for the shotgun shells. The shotgunners dropping 10 shells seems a little bit much, especially considering how effective the shotguns are.
- The player seems to still use the vanilla player sounds.

Personal nitpicks/suggestions:
~ Maybe put the grenade launcher on the chainsaw spawn? I dunno, I just feel like the super nailgun is more of a plasma rifle-tier weapon.
~ Do you have any plans to port over the enemies featured in Descent into Heresy? I always enjoyed using that addon.

All that being said, I did quite enjoy what I played of it, and I totally encourage you to keep this stuff up! It's always cool to see new modders develop. Good luck, and I'm excited to see where you take this.
Thanks for the feedback. I have no plans to add the enemies from Descent into heresy as this was supposed to be a Quake weapons mod with Doom enemies.
Your other suggestions will be added in an update.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Ha, I actually started a mod like this with an old version of these weapons but never got around to making a proper release for it. I'll have to check this out.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

A new update has gone live which has slightly overhauled the game balance
Spoiler:
TheOldKingCole

Re: Quaker's DOOM 2.1: A Quake Weapons mod for DOOM

Post by TheOldKingCole »

A quick hotfix has been added
osjclatchford

Re: Quaker's DOOM 2.1: A Quake Weapons mod for DOOM

Post by osjclatchford »