Best tools to edit/make sprites

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Cabo_Fiambre

Best tools to edit/make sprites

Post by Cabo_Fiambre »

Hello, i'm pretty new in the forums, i don't know if this is this the best place to post this but i want to know wich is the best tool to edit/make some good quality sprites (palette is a big issue when i try to do this because i don't want to deviate from doom's color style).
Blue Shadow

Re: Best tools to edit/make sprites

Post by Blue Shadow »

I moved your post to a more appropriate location, since it's not a (resource) request per se.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

Cabo_Fiambre wrote:Hello, i'm pretty new in the forums, i don't know if this is this the best place to post this but i want to know wich is the best tool to edit/make some good quality sprites (palette is a big issue when i try to do this because i don't want to deviate from doom's color style).
Depends, there's a lot of tools suitable for the job. There's photoshop ($) and GIMP (free), you can use ASeprite ($ but highly recommended) or Graphics Gale (free). Paint.NET or Krita... there's a lot of options.

I'd personally go with ASeprite if you don't mind spending $15, or GIMP.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Personally I use Paint Shop Pro 7.04 which was the last version made by Jasc Inc. before Corel took it on and turned it into a hideous bloatware trying-to-be-photoshop-and-failing program. I have used it for so long and I am so familiar with it that I dread the day it will no longer run under whatever version of Windows comes along. I literally use it every day for all sorts of graphics work. It's very light, starts up quickly but is also complex enough for some of the fancier things. It handles palette's superbly. However, I'm not even sure if there is a legal way to get the full version these days.
Cabo_Fiambre

Post by Cabo_Fiambre »

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!
Cabo_Fiambre

Post by Cabo_Fiambre »

How do i make proper recolors (basic ones)? Something like this:
Attachments
UDM2A1.png
UDM2A1.png (1.97 KiB) Viewed 766 times

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”