Slayer's Rampage — v1.9c

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Endie
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Slayer's Rampage — v1.9c

Post by Endie »

"Keep rushing, and running, running, the drumming of the buckshot pumpin', got molten metal in my veins! click click boom boom!"

Gameplay Trailer - a small showcase of how the mod flows

Mod review by Gaming Pastime

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/a2mPSU6

First of all: GZDoom Only! due some funcions, such as weapon sway, the mod will NOT run in other source ports, such as Zandronum, Skulltag etc.

Welcome to Slayer's Rampage, a mod that try to enhance the gameplay

So if you are new to this mod, it consists in: moving fast, shooting, switching guns and no reloading. At first, i just wanted a vanilla-improved, but now i believe i have my own thing, fast and smooth.

Basically, you are dangerous as a Acid spitting chainsaw, that happens to have limbs which can use high impact ballistic and also energy powered guns - but there's one thing that levels it up to 11, which is the fact that you, is a chainsaw fueled by fury

So the thing is simple, killing demons will make them drop rage points, collecting those rage points will fill the Doom Slayer icon on the top-right of the screen, when the bar gets full, you'll be able to morph into the Doom Slayer, which basically is the Fury-Fueled chainsaw that i said before, but it happens to be on fire and also wears a god damn praetor armor with a shoulder cannon mounted, making you the bigger, badder and the scariest thing that ever existed to any living being that isn't from this dimension

Using melee against your enemies also grants you Rage Points, but sooner or later you will realize that you can't "beat" the game with your bare fists, and here one of the main aspects of the mod takes it's place. Guns.
Spoiler: WEAPONS!
Spoiler: RAGE!
Credits, without those wonderful people, this mod would not exist.. or maybe worse!
Spoiler: CREDITS!
Spoiler: More gameplay

Tested with:
GZDoom (4.x recommended)
LZDoom 3.85
Delta Touch

Spoiler: ADD-ONS!
HAVE FUN!
Last edited by Endie on Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 103 times in total.
ValadaEW

Re: [WIP/Beta Testing!] S.R.G.E.M - First relase!

Post by ValadaEW »

Really basic (but really nice) Doom mod! I really like the way the weapons feel to fire, the enemy changes are solid, and overall I had a fun time!

Although- The motion blur on the weapons doesn't look all that good, in my opinion. The firing animations are obscured by the blur all over the weapons.
And there was a random pixel a bit to the right on the Shotgun's idle sprite. Might wanna fix that.

Other than that, really fun mod! :D
Endie

Post by Endie »

ValadaEW wrote:Really basic (but really nice) Doom mod! I really like the way the weapons feel to fire, the enemy changes are solid, and overall I had a fun time!
Thanks!
ValadaEW wrote:Although- The motion blur on the weapons doesn't look all that good, in my opinion. The firing animations are obscured by the blur all over the weapons.
And there was a random pixel a bit to the right on the Shotgun's idle sprite. Might wanna fix that.

Get it, i'll manage better the motion blur effects in the next update, and of course, delete dat pixel, thank you for the advice!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I feel very glad that my works serve as inspiration as well as my resources. This is a pretty rad mod!

If you are open to feedback my only picks are that the shotgun needs a non-static animation, the sprites need to dance a little bit more on the screen.

The blur effects are very cool and to make the illusion of movement they should be faster, one that needs this speed certainly is the pistol.

Also, just for typo correcting, i believe the correct word is "campaign", though i am not with my dictionary at my side.
Endie

Post by Endie »

GAA1992 wrote:I feel very glad that my works serve as inspiration as well as my resources. This is a pretty rad mod!
Woah, thanks man, that means a lot to me.
GAA1992 wrote:If you are open to feedback my only picks are that the shotgun needs a non-static animation, the sprites need to dance a little bit more on the screen.
Yes, aways open to feedback- -and, yeah, i know what you mean
i'm going to do so in the next update. i did a very short animation, because previously, it would be like in "Weapons of Saturn" pump-style, but i changed my mind at the last hour.
GAA1992 wrote:The blur effects are very cool and to make the illusion of movement they should be faster, one that needs this speed certainly is the pistol.
You mean...speed up in tics?
GAA1992 wrote:Also, just for typo correcting, i believe the correct word is "campaign", though i am not with my dictionary at my side.
Aah yes, i noticed that, just after i uploaded the mod to drive :/ seriously, i need to pay more attention to these things
Anyway, it's already fixed now
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

No problems, i just wanna help.

And, yes, i mean speed up the tics :)
Endie

Re: [WIP/Beta] S.R.G.E.M - Small update

Post by Endie »

Updated.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

What is contained in the update, OP?
Endie

Post by Endie »

Gideon020 wrote:What is contained in the update, OP?
some small fixes, added player "hand animation" when grabbing ledges, changed pistol and shotgun sprites, and some other bug-fixes
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Endie wrote:
some small fixes, added player "hand animation" when grabbing ledges, changed pistol and shotgun sprites, and some other bug-fixes
Incidentally, any reason why the HAR and Repeater pickup sprites are used for the assault rifle and 'FMG' explosive gun when the actual hand-held sprites look nothing like them? I know there's a centered HAR hand-held available somewhere though...

EDIT: Also, the noises used for changing gameplay options and changing screen sizes play for way too long.
Endie

Post by Endie »

Gideon020 wrote:
Endie wrote:
Incidentally, any reason why the HAR and Repeater pickup sprites are used for the assault rifle and 'FMG' explosive gun when the actual hand-held sprites look nothing like them? I know there's a centered HAR hand-held available somewhere though...
Oh, yeah, in previous versions, the FMG was a centered HAR, but i changed it due weirdness. it wasn't looking good, same thing to the rifle, and i'll update their pickup sprites.
Gideon020 wrote:EDIT: Also, the noises used for changing gameplay options and changing screen sizes play for way too long.

Well, this is a little more complicated, but i'll figure out a way to fix it. thanks for the advice!
Endie

Re: [WIP/Beta] S.R.G.E.M - Another Update (26/07/18)

Post by Endie »

Updated again

Added a new player class, the Tactical. works like a more human-like player, feels more pain, less damage resistance, a bit slower, have to sprint and stuff like that. i still working on it btw

added two guns (for now, they aren't avaliable in-game without cheating. i'll explain why later)

Rifle have around 10 firing frames

also, changed Rifle sprites

Heavy Machine Gun pickup sprite fixed

less head bobbing when walking in Arcade mode

Changed back the shotgun sprites to the P1INK1LL3R ones, but, with classic gloves this time

Changed pistol sprites

Other bugfixes
Endie

Re: [WIP/Beta] S.R.G.E.M - Another Update (26/07/18)

Post by Endie »

Updated!

Edit: Also i forgot to mention in the changelog the most important thing.

MELEE ADDED
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: [WIP/Beta] S.R.G.E.M - UPDATE? YOS (06/08/18)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hey, that's a great improvement! I like where you are going with this mod.

But allow me to be that boring guy again, and send some more feedback your way:

- Melee doesn't have swinging sounds (although they don't really need it), but they make ricochet noises when punching walls.
- Spellbook has a small flicker on deselect animation that repeats the last bits before the end.
- Spellbook primary puff includes the BFG projectile's death sound, which feels kinda outta place. A inherited puff with a different DeathSound would do the trick.
- Plasma Rifle could use a different sound from vanilla, since there is a plasma rifle sound in the files, but it isn't used, i think.
- Quick kick doesn't have any kind of impact or swing sounds.
- Fist deselects slower and on a different angle than other guns, but since it's a recent feature, i think you are already over this.
- Doom 64 sprites, such as the ammo crates and medikit could use some small resize to resemble their originals, down to 0.7, but i think this is REALLY personal.

Also, last but not least, i wanted to make a titlemap for a long time, where did you learned to do yours? If you'd like, we could keep this subject off the thread.

Anyways, really really great, with some improvements this can go far ;)

EDIT: I don't know if you'll like it, but if you are open to some sprite suggestions, i've given the Doom 64 ammunitions a small clean-up and recolouring:

Endie

Re: [WIP/Beta] S.R.G.E.M - UPDATE? YOS (06/08/18)

Post by Endie »

Thank you!

I reeally still working hard on it, and believe me or not, i'm working exactly in every topic you mentioned, every topic but Pickup sprites size.
The reason why the fist does ricochet sounds when punching walls, are because the fists uses the default A_Punch function (as a placeholder, obviously) and so, it uses "BulletPuff", wich is replaced with the puff that does this sound.

The Spellbook still under heeeeavy W.I.P, but i'll figure out some way to make it suck less

And the Titlemap, i used the Doomguy5th one as base, if i'm not wrong, he said users can use it as a resource, so if you want to use it too, go ahead (also, i forget to mention him in the credits, i'm fixing it now)

But, thanks man! your feedback aways help a lot with this, and i'm glad you liked it

Return to “Gameplay Mods”