A Silent Hill themed "short" map, and 1st place winner of Joel's Doom Mapping Contest II. Requires GZDoom 3.7.2 or later.
You wake up in an old apartment building. The way out is locked, and you must find the key.
Important things to know:
- Inventory management: In this demo, everything is handled through the inventory, including selecting weapons, make sure your bindings are all in place.
- Picking up items: Items must be picked up by pressing use, rather than walking over them. Resources are scattered all over the place, so explore as much as you can.
- Read notes: Notes spread across the map may contain important hints for your progress, don't forget to read them all.
- In-game saves: Though manual saving isn't outright blocked, it's still recommended to use the in-game "save squares" (totally copied straight from silent hill 2)
- Combat: Almost all enemies are melee-based and will deliver a lot of pain if you don't keep your distance.
- Graphics: They look like crap on purpose. It's recommended to play in 1920x1080 for the intended visuals (downscaling/upscaling is fine). The map uses some heavy shaders, so you'll need a fairly ok GPU to play (sorry, Intel users).
- Jumping/Crouching: They're disabled to stay in line with the Silent Hill imitation. Waist-high obstacles will be insurmountable.
- Cheating: Disabled on hard mode. Note that cheats may cause issues with proper function of the map, especially noclip.
Spoiler: Some screenshots>>> Download here <<<
- Initial release: Submission to Joel's contest. Works only in 3.2.5. Full of bugs.
- Update 1: Patched to work in 3.3.
- Update 2: Various bug fixes and additions, requires 3.3.2.
- Update 3: Fixed crash after picking up the Pearl Key.
- Update 4: Various small fixes.
- Update 5: Fixed many texture misalignments (Thanks, Rachael). Slightly rebalanced hard mode. Corrected some enemy AI behaviour.
- Update 6: Fixes some minor bugs. Rebalances monsters once again. Cheats are enabled for Easy and Medium difficulties (with a warning for noclip).
- Update 7: Corrected some lines that should be blocking. Fixed an incorrect 3d floor tag. Yet more minor rebalancing. Fixed a floor lowering more than it should.
- Update 8: Patched up a race condition where one could activate a door while in a cutscene, causing monsters from the outgoing room to be activated during the transition.
- Update 9: Bleeding texture effect has been rewritten to take advantage of the new user texture support for hardware shaders. In addition there have been some minor fixups and code cleaning.
- Update 10: Quite a lot of changes! See the update post on page 6 for more details. Now requires 3.7.2.
- Update 10.1: Small hotfix for end of level stats displaying in the title screen.
- Update 10.2: Small hotfix for lingering ambient track when backtracking from otherworld 2nd floor hall to room 624 (incorrect track was started).
Now that Joel's released all the contest maps I can finally give you all the initial release version (yeah I know it was dumb of me to not keep it). Note that it will only work on 3.2.5 and nothing else above it.
If you like my work, please consider supporting me on Patreon.