[DEMO - WIP] World of Strife

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[DEMO - WIP] World of Strife

Post by ramon.dexter »

EDIT 12.12.21:
SEEKING MODELLING HELP
Well, right now I got to a corner. I'm capable of creating static or simply animated models. Yeah, weapons are not a problem, too. :)
But, when it comes to character models, this is an area where I completely fail. I spent last week trying to make my new player models work...and totaly failed. I just don't know how to make this work. The model animation, rigging and stuff like this is totally over my head. :(
So, I'm coming here annd humbly asking for a help. Would anyone exprienced with modelling lend a helping hand to me with the character modelling and animation? I'm not looking for anything fancy or complicated, like sculpts or stuff like materials. I want simple models in the style of Haxen II/Quake II/Deus Ex/Unreal Tournament. I can provide basic modelling and texturing, but I need help with rigging and animations. Would someone like to participate in bringing the World of Strife with complete models to life? :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, what started as a small technical playground for testing varoius parts of code, evolved into a living, breathing project. And I can say, this project is the most completed that I've worked on.

Soo, whats that? World of Strife, what the hell? Like, TC for Strife, are you serious? Well, when I first saw strife back in the nineties, I was quite amazed by it. Like, you were not forced to run and gun, instead I got something that meets the present DeusEx like games. Doom with dialogues. And real story to pursue. Decade later I encoutered for a brief time something called DoomBuilder. And made a big level for strife, a big city. But in that time, I had zero programming knowledge, so it was only a map with no real content. Years later, I started playing with doom things, and the rest of it is known for you, so I'wont repeat it here.
As I said, this started as only a practise of new things. I used strife iwad as a base, because I dont't wanted to be distracted by my favourite postapo theme. And it evolved into something bigger than a small practice.

So, the story is following: Since I mean it seriously with World of Strife, and I've finally found the true balance of scifi and fantasy in it's setting, I've found the lore of barebone Strife as quite ... empty. Like, the whole thing with 'bad guys took our women and children, let's get em back' is good for a one timer like strife is, but totally not enough for anything else. So, I took the base of strife and expanded it. It could be treated as a reboot of strife, or a an ofshoot of the world.

Here it is. It's just a first concept and probably will change, but could give you a rough onlook on how the world lore will look. Enjoy.
Spoiler:
And also, something about the world's organisations, aka the good guys, the bad guys and the ugly guys.
Spoiler:
Well, it not quite playtested, so it may have some bugs. I would appreciate if you just report them to me (well, how it happened would be nice :) ).

edit: I have found out that there is a small bug in the first quest - when you use the staff for killing the rebels, you can easilly kill two in one blast. That can break the coding, so the whole quest will remain unmarked, yet the quest works and can be finished. So this has to be noticed and I have to fix it.

COMPATIBILITY:
- Strife - Quest For Sigil
- Strife Veteran Edition (I'm testing it with SVE mainly)

edit: FEATURES:
- models
- ledge climbing - pretty nic thing thanks to zscript, code by Dodopod
- spotlight flashlight by Steve - need gzdoom 3.3.3, but that's not an issue
- inv items with drain made with zscript (thanks to apeirogon) - no acs involved at all - Powerups now drain power, rather than be depleted after time duration
- remade strife weapons - no mauler and mauler2, etc. I remade the weapons so now its only one weapon with two fire modes, switched by AltFire (mauler, grenade launcher and crossbow)
- added two (three) weapons - my favourite blaster staff in two levels of power, pistol and a hookshot, using the hookshot code from resources, with new graphics (now its a weapon, not only script called by keystroke)
- working system of journal using ZSDF
- working system of quest markers (something like in SVE, but with my own graphics)
- nice text markers with the use of hudmessageonactor, with only limited use - I'm not sure if I will finally use them. Since the quest markers are working okay, this only duplicates alredy made mechanic.
- HUD using inv item - you have to wear a helmer to see the HUD :)
- quicktravel system using inv item - player places beacon, that serves as a teleport spot, where he can then return
- very basic RPG system using the strife inv items (health and accuracy - not much, but fits nicely)
(- sweet PDA zscript system by Nash)
- Lost Frontier features! Bleeding, Sprinting, items weights
- modded zscript strife statusbar

engines&ports support:
- GZDoom 3.8 and upper (Vulkan & OpenGL only. Sorry.)
- questZDoom for oculus quest

Some screens:
Spoiler:
So, lets cut the talk. Here's the demo. Hope you like it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kaoNNf ... sp=sharing
Last edited by ramon.dexter on Sat May 27, 2023 12:26 pm, edited 30 times in total.
Whoah

Re: [DEMO - WIP] World of Strife

Post by Whoah »

Screenies?
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

Or a video at least.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Yup, sorry :)

Spoilered in the first post :)
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Hey, this looks really nice! Strife needs more mods. I'll be keeping a close eye on this.
Apaul27
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)
Location: Fighting some cats in the planet "Wool Ball", with Scott & Rebecca

Post by Apaul27 »

This looks AWESOME!
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Looks like fun!
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by armymen12002003 »

Nice good to see another mod for strife in my opinion strife doesn't get enough love.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Small update.

I spent most of the time coding, so I dont really have that much to show. I polished the city, finished what was not finished and so on. Most of the changes were done "under the hood". So, what features do I have in?

- ledge climbing - pretty nic thing thanks to zscript, code by Dodopod
- spotlight flashlight by Steve - need gzdoom 3.3.3, but that's not an issue
- inv items with drain made with zscript (thanks to apeirogon) - no acs involved at all - Powerups now drain power, rather than be depleted after time duration
- remade strife weapons - no mauler and mauler2, etc. I remade the weapons so now its only one weapon with two fire modes, switched by AltFire (mauler, grenade launcher and crossbow); all the weapons use new zscript fire functions, some derived from gzdoom.pk3, some new - I wanted the new weapons use the strife accuracy calculation, so rather than using inheritance (which proved to be impossible for the strife's dual weapons), I simply copied some of the weapon functions into new weapon parent class
- added two (three) weapons - my favourite blaster staff in two levels of power, pistol and a hookshot, using the hookshot code from resources, with new graphics (now its a weapon, not only script called by keystroke)
- working system of journal using ZSDF
- working system of quest markers (something like in SVE, but with my own graphics)
- nice text markers with the use of hudmessageonactor, with only limited use - I'm not sure if I will finally use them. Since the quest markers are working okay, this only duplicates alredy made mechanic.
- HUD using inv item - you have to wear a helmer to see the HUD :)
- quicktravel system using inv item - player places beacon, that serves as a teleport spot, where he can then return
- very basic RPG system using the strife inv items (health and accuracy - not much, but fits nicely)

Now I have to start working on a story and some scenario. I have a rough draft, but this will need a lot of time.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

ramon.dexter wrote: - HUD using inv item - you have to wear a helmer to see the HUD :)
Nice :mrgreen:
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Are you planning on eventually giving the player access to the Inquisitor suit? Like later in the campaign?
Last edited by Whoah on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

Well, to be honest, I dont even know player has access to the Inquisitor suit :D
But, since the story is not finished at all, everything is possible.
But, youknow, for my partly OCD personality, that would mean some custom HUD, which would mean lot of drawing :D

anyways, I'm finishing the customised HUD. So, I'll have a fully customed HUD with the special strife screens working.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I love what I see!
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

O-Ok, Here I have a small update.

I've replicated the strife status screen with sbarinfo, also expanded it little bit. Works good. The only things that troubles me is how to make the health bar to work with strife health upgrades.
ramon.dexter

Post by ramon.dexter »

So far, so good. I god a small something that I want to tell & show you.

So, I finally finished the weapons & items. The items (powerups) will use the system used in Duke Nukem - Player has 100 of item and can activate and deactivate it. I have also improved the stock strife items, thanks to zscript. I have moved all the 'interactive' actors to zscript, decorate is left only for pure decorative purposes. Thanks to gzdoom 3.3.x and Steve I have also a new spotlight based portable flashlight. A deployable and portable shield based on Captain ToeNails's deployable shield. A night-eye vision item, an eregeneration item and some food items. And, I included some crude day-night changing system. Nothing fancy, player has to sleep in bed in order to change day to night or reverse - simple change of sky texture and brightness in tagged sectors, nothing fancy. It works as it is. Made some new peasants - used a trick that Vostyok taught me. I used a peasant body, cut off the head and assemble it to a spritesheet. Than comverted it to doom graphics. The same for heads made by zrrion the insect. Then I used textures lump to make the sprites and translation to make variations. Long story short, two hours took me to make around 40 new peasant with new graphics and colors. And also, 40 new peasant and only 44 kb of space for the two spritesheets, thats nice :).
Works on the story has also advanced. I have finished first part and started working on the second part. That means playtesters will be needed in a month or two.

For the story: If I haven't mentioned it before, the player will be on the order side. Better said, for the confusion, I change the player character occupation. Player will be a 'Binder', member of the Binder Order. The Binder Order is a semi-independent organization within the Order. Serves as a secret police, and stuff like that. Player will be promoted a Binder and start serch on a lost artifact, that will cause lots of trouble later.
The story takes place in another place of the Strife's world. The Order os not so harsh, it didn't even not removed women from the population (have to make some women sprites yet - HELP NEEDED!!! :) ). The Binder Order serves as a peace keeping force in some place of the land, while the Rebels are the threat here. The story will be revoled around rebels taking control of the Order forces through stolen artifact, so Player's main goal will be to retrieve this artifact and restore peace and order in this part of the land.

What is finished: The first, prologue part. It needs some finishing touches and a playtesting, but it is finished.
Started working on the second part. I have a concept of six to seven sub-quests plus one main quests (main quest will have parts). The second city is partly finished, but the surroundings have to be made.

So, let's cut the talking, the screens:
Spoiler:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”