Vanilla Essence 4.3: 320x200p support! More bugfixes.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Vanilla Essence 4.3: 320x200p support! More bugfixes.

Post by Pixel Eater »

Vanilla Essence 4.3.pk3
(86.75 KiB) Downloaded 9940 times
Vanilla Essence 4 makes entering and exiting vanilla mode easy with a single key bind.
It now fulfills the original request outlined here.

v4.3 improves cvar access (thanks again to M8f!). There's customization for the alternate HUD and the highest resolution has been bumped up to 1080p.
Spoiler: Instructions
Spoiler: Previous changes
Spoiler: Old Version
Last edited by Pixel Eater on Sun May 12, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [Shortcut Menu] Vanilla Essence

Post by Rachael »

Moved to Gameplay Mods since this qualifies more as one, even with a lack of weapon and monster replacements. (That does not diminish its potential usefulness, though, and I am sure there are people who will really want this)
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Ah, okay. Fair enough :thumb:
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

May I suggest more options to Vanilla Essence Menu?
Spoiler:
Pixel Eater

Re: [Shortcut Menu] Vanilla Essence (Updated April Fool's Da

Post by Pixel Eater »

Cheers m8f, I have added the item drop and map colour options as well as some others to the menu. The additional items you suggested are a bit too in-depth and don't fit the spirit of the menu's intent though. As this is intended firstly for beginners and only secondarily for the convenience of experienced users, I want to keep the options to the bare minimum.

Thanks for introducing me to the map colours option too, I didn't realise I was missing out on the original style :)
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Pixel Eater wrote:I want to keep the options to the bare minimum.
I cannot disagree.

By the way, what does "dogaflop" mean? Is it part of April Fool's Day? :)
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

My significant other assures me it is the literal opposite of the word catapult O-)
Syrion

Post by Syrion »

This is excellent! I'm not even a novice gamer at all, but as someone who isn't well versed in gaming/graphics tech, Doom modding or GZDoom specifically the effects of some options in the GZDoom menu can be tough or nigh impossible to understand due to the total lack of explanation. And, as someone looking for a mostly vanilla experience with GZDoom (which I'm sure many players are) it can be downright frustrating trying to set it up.

While I have managed to find my preferred GZDoom settings by now, knowing about your mod would have spared me lots of tinkering around and thus time. Also, I still didn't know what the "vanilla" option would be in some cases, such as fog. So, thanks!
I'm sure beginners would greatly benefit from this mod, unfortunately I'm afraid hardly any of them will find their way here. Actually, in my opinion this mod should be part of GZDoom in some form, but I guess that's a different topic. One that brought me here, actually :D
Pixel Eater

Re: [Shortcut Menu] Vanilla Essence Mk.III (Updated 26 July

Post by Pixel Eater »

Cheers Syrion! And thankyou for reminding me I wanted to update this.

It can now be enable with one control or Four individual ones hidden in sub-menus. It seems that most changes aren't saved between sessions but that may just be my system? I actually find it convenient nonetheless!

And now I really need to get back to packing house :whip:
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Just discovered this and wanted to express my gratitude. I had the impression that some of the settings are not saved, especially when using the single-control option. Entries like dropmode or compatflags don't seem to be saved properly, either (only if you do it by yourself through the regulary options menu, if available). Nevertheless, it's a neat mod that helps a lot with getting set up for a more vanilla-style gameplay experience. It's even better if you set up the Nuked OPL emulator for music, btw.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

I had the impression that some of the settings are not saved
Oh it's not just me! The only ones that did save for me were the compatibility flags, so the opposite in my case.
It's even better if you set up the Nuked OPL emulator for music, btw.
I don't appear to have that emulator (maybe because I'm on a Mac?) so I won't go messing with that in case others end up with no music at all!

And I'm currently wondering if it's possible to duplicate the user's 'before' settings to a load of custom Cvars so there can be a restore option. I'll look into that sometime soon...
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Right now I am simply working with two config files to avoid losing my original settings, something like -config gzdoom-vanilla.ini.

Regarding compatibility mode, I was expecting these entries in my ini after setting it up with VE (according to "Doom (Strict)"):

Code: Select all

compatflags2=11
compatflags=-1172751401
However, it's different when your mod is applying the settings. Would that make any difference?
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

That might be because I've been setting it via the individual Cvars (and only the main ones). But if I set it with the compatflags like you're pointing out it would be much more efficient and hopefully also fix the saving problems it has. Thanks for showing me that NightFright :thumb:
Pixel Eater

Re: [Shortcut Menu] Vanilla Essence 3.5 (Updated 28 August 1

Post by Pixel Eater »

Thanks to NightFright I have an update which makes the behaviour more consistent. All settings changed by using an "auto vanilla" command are now temporary and should be reset for the next session.
I've also corrected/added some options to work with the new GZDoom 3.5.1 and included an option to shorten the reverb of rockets.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: [Shortcut Menu] Vanilla Essence 3.5 (Updated 28 August 1

Post by NightFright »

Works like a charm now. Also the reset seems to work (even though the mod ini entry for the rocket reverb remains set to "True" for some reason). Thanks a lot for the adjustments! Let's hope future GZD releases won't break this - at least not too soon.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”