The Alfonzone

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Pinchy

The Alfonzone

Post by Pinchy »

Enter the dimension of fragmented memories, where stories are currency, the more unique the better.

The dark city streets, deadly old mansions and rusting industrial centers are just a front for more sinister purposes exploiting the local populous.

Popular retreats include abandoned beaches and the rusting hulk of an ancient soviet terror.

If the unforgiving frozen fortresses or hells domain where ancient magic is woven into the stone itself don't make you lose your mind, there's always the poisonous jungles for those who seek to harvest the dank.

High tech computational wonders, the dangerous and funky machinery of space and a hope for the future lie ahead, off the shores of doomworld itself and into the unknown.

The Alfonzone contains 50 levels divided into 10 episodes with unique themes inspired by Alfonzos speedmidis.

Some of the music replacements are still being worked on and it is the request of the developers that they remain exclusive to this project for now.

Current maps with placeholder midis as the replacements are being worked on:

30 - Evil on Parade
38 - Flip the Switch
42 - Wheezer
44 - Aerial Tombs
47 - Redback

Features

- 62 maps: 49 playable, 1 cinematic, 10 intermissions, an episode selection hub and ending map
- The new fangled Zoontex by based James "Jimmy" Paddock!
- Artwork by Kurashiki! WAN!
- New textures by Fuzzball! (Map 43 Floaty Light and some of Map 46 One Bookmark, exclusive for now)

Source Ports (used for development and testing)

Recommended: GZdoom Version GZDoom v3.5.1, [Open GL, Default install, texture filtering off]
https://zdoom.org/downloads

Minimum: (discontinued): Zdoom Version 2.8.1, [Default install]

Currently there are no demos recorded, so if you fancy making one I'll add it in.

IWAD: Doom 2
Music: Augustus "Alfonzo" Knezevich 
Gameplay: Single player. Co-op is built for but untested
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Build Time: 1000 hours
Map settings: Jumping required, crouching enabled, freelook optional, infinite actor height disabled, coop teleporter frag disabled
MIDIs composed for use with Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth

Download

Version 1.04

Fixes

Map05 - Added skill 1 and 2 flags to the teleporter on the staircase
Map08 - Switch added under the shotgun elevator
Map29 - Technical adjustments for secrets
Map30 - Midtex wrapping not displaying as expected
Map38 - The exit now opens automatically, much faster and cannot be triggered from above
Map39 - Exit trigger tweaked to ensure 100% kills

Changes

All maps where possible - Item and key triggers changed to custom decorate actors to make sure they always activate
Minor WADINFO updates
Unused graphics and code removed

Additions

Par times added (previously were rough max times)
Jazzy city is now jazzier and brought friends
BRIKWORX advertisement up
Version number added to the text file

Music Updates

Map 07 - 047 Jesus Sandals.mid
Map 14 - 013 Thrummingbird.mid
Map 36 - 021 Digital Bitchslap.mid

Old Versions
Spoiler:
Please check back for updates and report bugs to me via private message.

Media

Album: https://imgur.com/a/TADXD
Last edited by Pinchy on Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Gideon020

Re: The Alfonzone

Post by Gideon020 »

Interesting. How does this interact with gameplay/monster/weapon mods when I get in the mood for them?
doomfighter667

Post by doomfighter667 »

looks awesome am interested
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

@Gideon020 for Demonsteele, the second map is broken due to the encounters in the pizza room not working right. You'll probably just want to be using weapon only mods.

EDIT: It's possible it's only because of the monster multiplier getting them stuck in teleporters, though. Try it with other mods. It doesn't replace monsters or weapons.
Pinchy

Post by Pinchy »

Yes I think monster multipliers would break a few systems here, best stick to changes that don't require different spacing.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Another incompatibility, the red key on the first map doesn't trigger the monster ambush for mods that replace the key. You might want the trigger to be assigned to the little spot where the key sits rather than the key itself for the sake of increased mod compatibility. Probably other cases like this are present, too.

EDIT: Not actually sure if it's key replacement doing it... Even on vanilla the encounter sometimes doesn't happen. It's like the monsters aren't aggro'd at all.
EDIT2: Yeah... it seems that if you pick up the key BEFORE aggroing monsters the encounters won't happens which breaks some maps. Some mods mess with aggro distances and stuff and it's also quite bad if you're trying to speedrun the map. I played through the first map by going straight for the red key without doing any fighting and the encounters didn't happen and it seems to be the same reason the pizza encounters broke when using certain mods. The monsters just won't go through and teleport because they're not aggro'd.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

:D Wow!Really great mapset.Thank you!
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Red key in MAP01 is related to another issue: 100% kills cannot be achieved when playing on skill 0 or 1.
This is because noise alert target (thing #199) appears only on higher difficulty levels.
Is this intentional?

Also, it possible to "jump" outside of designated playable area on the same MAP01.
Warp to 290 -360 -200 and strafe run from balcony in the east direction.
I was expecting a secret area there...
Pinchy

Post by Pinchy »

Thanks for the bug report! It's all fixed up and will be in the next version (1.02)
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

MAP05 has a similar problem: teleport destination (thing #416) is absent on lower skill levels making 100% kills impossible.

In MAP06 fire bowls (things #36 and #37) and teleport destinations (things #38 and #39) count as secrets.
Only one of five secrets can be obtained because of that.
Pinchy

Post by Pinchy »

Thanks for finding these, I think the secret based errors should only be in the early maps as I've tested all of them to 100% (but only UV)

I made sure to double check the monster tagged 666 for alerts is present for all as I built each map, it's been a long time since I made some of these though.
Solaela
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Solaela »

Played a few randomly and It's fun and challenging. Just one MINOR nitpick more related to the hud.

Could there be a version of this with the standard hud from the game ((Unmodded)) for those who want to play it either with their own huds or are using a mod that has it's own hud cause of extra info? Like guncaster's mana system or Trailblazer's junk system? When I run ones like that your hud overrides em and while for trailblazer it's not a pain unless you rely on the junk to make ammo but in the case of guncaster it means you can't tell how much of your big stuff you have.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Solaela wrote:Played a few randomly and It's fun and challenging. Just one MINOR nitpick more related to the hud.

Could there be a version of this with the standard hud from the game ((Unmodded)) for those who want to play it either with their own huds or are using a mod that has it's own hud cause of extra info? Like guncaster's mana system or Trailblazer's junk system? When I run ones like that your hud overrides em and while for trailblazer it's not a pain unless you rely on the junk to make ammo but in the case of guncaster it means you can't tell how much of your big stuff you have.
Try loading Guncaster after Alfonzone; I've been playing it with a handful of other mods and the HUD works fine on those.
Solaela
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Solaela »

wildweasel wrote:
Solaela wrote:Played a few randomly and It's fun and challenging. Just one MINOR nitpick more related to the hud.

Try loading Guncaster after Alfonzone; I've been playing it with a handful of other mods and the HUD works fine on those.
Huh. What do you know. It worked.

Cheers.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

I love this so far! I'll post further commentary once I play a little further through but from what I've seen so far of this it's a lot of fun.

Return to “Levels”