DOWNLOAD 0.7c HERE
Sun Damage Omen is a breakneck mod that transforms Doom 2 into a dark, gritty, adrenaline-fueled madhouse, inspired by the likes of games such as BUTCHER and Chronicles of Riddick, and movies like Aliens and Terminator. It's a mod that strives for simple streamlined gameplay that still packs one hell of a punch, more a refinement of Doom's gameplay rather than an extension.
- No hitscan. Good riddance. Everything bullet related is a fast projectile now.
- Faster and harder. Everything wants you dead even worse than before. Fortunately, now you're also a speed maniac.
- Beefy, bloody weapons. Everything in your gore-soaked arsenal packs a real wallop now. You'll be spoiled after playing this.
- Visceral, smooth gameplay. No weapons unique to certain classes. No clumsy, confusing upgrades. No mercy. Any mistake is your own. Show them what you're made of.
- Alt-fire for a swift kick. Great finisher for lower-tier enemies or as an emergency "get the fuck off me" button.
What's the status of the mod?
As of now, I am hard at work creating an episode's worth of levels for this mod, which will include exclusive weapons and enemies.
The gameplay mod is currently alpha and on hiatus until the TC is complete. The weapons are all completely done. All of the vanilla enemies are supported with red hit-flashing, but not all have been completely modified to my liking yet. I created these weapons and monsters initially for an episode's worth of levels, but figured I had so much fun blasting through other wads, I figured maybe I could release what I have now as a gameplay mod for now until I get the levels ready. If you would like to help with mapping for this project, feel free to PM me. After the levels are released I'll keep the gameplay mod and the levels separate.
Alright, so what maps go good with this mod then?
I highly recommend anything that sticks to E1/E2 of Doom's level design: Tight corridor action with mostly low level enemies. For that, I highly recommend Hell for Leather and Coffee Break. They were the wads I tested most with this mod, and they were by far the most fun.
Some monsters aren't modified at all!
Alpha! Also, I don't think the bigger monsters will get as big a makeover as some of the lower enemies, given how unique Doom's visual and sound design is.
Will there be any more weapons?
Probably not. It's very likely I might release add-ons for the mod that REPLACE certain weapons, like replacing the gatling gun with a nailgun or SMG with a plasma carbine or something, but there's simply no room for completely new weapons when we're talking about replacing doom's arsenal. The only new weapons I would add will be more powerful ones, not something like a melee or pistol. I am considering having rocket ammo double as a throwable grenade, but we'll see...
Goals for upcoming versions:
- Flame deaths for smaller enemies
- Refine the bigger enemies (cacos, archviles, mancubi, etc) with better sounds, sprites and animations
- Make a dedicated episode of levels to best show off the features of the mod
- Squish bugs
(Dec 25, 2017) Version 0.7c
- Classes have been gotten rid of.
- The fists have returned!
- The starting SMG has been replaced with a machine pistol: Functionally identical, but with a slightly slower rate of fire. It's still accurate, controllable, and perfect against lesser enemies.
- Gatling gun fucked with, slower ROF but faster start-up speed. Hopefully, with the machine pistol having slower ROF, the gatling will prove more useful against bigger enemies.
- New M_DOOM logo
- New intermission music and graphics
- Solar Propulsor's sound design has been revamped slightly
- Levelname appears when you start a new level
- Squashed some bugs
(Sept 27, 2017) Version 0.6i
- Added tracers for bullets! Non-bright bullets option has been removed as tracers are cooler anyway. Thanks a ton, Belmondo!
- Boosted SSG Damage (increased pellets from 14 to 18)
- Fixed bug that made spectre appear as normal demon
- Boosted Sun Propulsor's visuals
- Difficulty settings balanced better (less of a damage multiplier)
- Nerfed Flamethrower: Damage slightly randomized + added a "cooldown" effect after firing similar to vanilla plasma rifle
(Sept 24, 2017) Version 0.6d
- ZScript is now functional in Sun Damage Omen! Here are the following features now available:
- GLDefs updated for both lost soul and flamethrower
- All Doom 2 enemies are now supported, modified, and some have been recolored! New sounds to come for some. Modifications include:
- Proper blood colors
- Fixed/modified projectiles
- GLDefs for projectiles
- Better sprite fixes and adjustments
- All enemies now flash red whenever hit, regardless of pain chance.
- Bullet speed is now adjustable under SDO options
- Damage boosted for rockets + flamethrower
(Sept 20, 2017) Version 0.5f
- Classes have been renamed
- Lost soul has been given new code, sprites, and sounds (with updated credits)
- After a long and troubled history, the weapon balance is finally all better!
- Each weapon gives slot # when picked up
- Shredder untouched, still in slot #1
- SMG, closest thing to pistol-equivalent, has been put in slot #2
- Both shotguns are now in slot #3
- The gatling gun has been restored to its FULL METAL GLORY, now uses/fires bullets and occupies slot #4
- Rocket launcher untouched, slot #5
- A new weapon awaits you in slot #6! I smell barbecue...
- Solar propulsor also untouched, slot #7
- MIGHTY BOOT has been given a great overall buff:
Before, the kick had a lot of risk (relinquishing player control), with very little reward (a few health points).
- No longer propels you and takes away player control, though still slows player down slightly
- Kickback greatly increased
- Initial delay greatly decreased, although speed is slightly slower after actually kicking
- No health gained upon a successful enemy hit. Considered cheap when you could bully a hell-knight to restore to full health
Now it can hopefully serve better as a quick enemy finisher or a "fuck get off me" emergency melee button.
(Sept 18, 2017) Version 0.5c
- Bright bullet option added!
- Three starting loadouts have been added: Choose between the Shotgun-toting Trooper, SMG-wielding Perforator, or Shredder-swinging Lacerator when starting a game/level (no other changes)
- Bulletspeed/monsterspeed now changes depending on difficulty, for true masochists
- Chaingunners no longer drop gatling guns, instead drop ammo boxes + SMG
- Chaingunners have been given a slight buff (faster initial firing time)
- Gatling gun differentiated from its bullet form (new projectiles + sounds)
- Shredder now alerts enemies a bit more because it's noisy, if you're some sort of weirdo that plays stealthy in Doom
- Still dicking around with pain chances/hit recognition code in ZScript
(Sept 18, 2017) Version 0.5
- Added mighty boot to the SHREDDER (resulting in a badass kick-saw combo)
- Fixed bulletpuff bug, where all bulletpuffs were replaced with the saw puff, which had no ricochet sound
- Implemented full berserk + invulnerability functionality
- New SHREDDER animations
- Lightning from the Propulsor lasts longer (just visual candy)
- New ammo box sprite
- Backpack fully supported
- The gatling gun is now FULL SOLAR - Uses cells and fires SOLAR BULLETS
(Sept 17, 2017) Version 0.3
Because nobody likes having their shit stolen!
Please let me know if I have used a resource that you have made so I can put you on this list!
- RNG / Breadbagfly FOR Everything. Overall aesthetic influence, the beautifully industrial sounds and weapon sprites, classic gameplay decisions. Thank you so much!
- IMX FOR Enemy sprites from Demonicron. I loved the gritty horror look he gave all of the monsters, and he was probably the 2nd biggest influence behind this mod. I figured with monsters as badass as these, they need a world dedicated to them. Thanks so much!
- Monolith FOR Enemy sounds from Blood 2 and overall influence from Blood, my favorite game ever.
- Yholl FOR The explosion particle code and lightning code from Final Doomer.
- 1024 Wads FOR The palette. Love it! Fits the atmosphere completely.
- Pawel Zarczynski/NMN FOR Weapon and HUD sprites and overall influence. This is my own homage to Stomper. Though I feel like I would not be worthy enough to finish it myself, this can be my recognition and respect!
- Nash FOR Gore!
- Starbreeze Studios FOR Sounds from Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena.
- Pandut FOR flamethrower sounds.
- Jimmy FOR Square and unbordered fonts.
- Captain Toenail FOR Lost Soul/Forgotten One sprite edits.
- 4D Rulers FOR hilarious GORE: Ultimate Soldier sounds.
- Belmondo FOR Tracer bullet code!
Version 0.3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y8i7 ... FVcXc/view
Version 0.5: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y8i7 ... FqOUU/view
Version 0.5c: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y8i7 ... V4NTg/view
Version 0.5f: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y8i7 ... hWUWM/view
Version 0.6d: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6y8i ... 1BkaldRQ2c
Version 0.6i: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y8i7 ... FBBSnpub1E