Touhou Doom - Full Release (V1.24)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Untitled
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Touhou Doom - Full Release (V1.24)

Post by Untitled »

TOUHOU DOOM
Hell on Gensokyo
Spoiler: What is this

Screenshots (some out of date): https://imgur.com/a/dWq936z

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1lu30tmi ... 2ltit&dl=1

WHAT YOU WILL FIND:
-Difficulty settings that actually affect what the bosses use!
-Bosses, with spell cards!
-Lots and lots and lots of danmaku, of course.
-Weapons...?
-CVars to help the game experience: touhou_cl_shmupmovement, touhou_skipcutscenes, touhou_nospellcards, touhou_doomweapons, and touhou_danmakuweapons!
-34 maps (MAP01 to MAP34), split into five episodes.
Spoiler: Credits
If you wish to discuss the mod more personally, I can be found on Discord: wrsw#0132, also found in servers Secret Lounge and Blue Vertigo.

OFFICIAL POST-MORTEM ON TOUHOU DOOM: https://pastebin.com/i33dSYr5
If you like Touhou Doom, and are curious about the modding process behind it, give this pastebin (or check out postmortem.txt in the pk3) a look.
It's over 19,000 words, but I think it does highlight most of my creative challenges.
Last edited by Untitled on Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:10 am, edited 105 times in total.
jckfrbn

Re: Touhou Doom - Yes, this is real (and 3/4ths done)!

Post by jckfrbn »

Your download link seems to be dead
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

jckfrbn wrote:Your download link seems to be dead
Fixed, I had to take the link down and re-put it back up - it's online now!
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Is this the one that term13 streamed with demonsteele or is this another version?
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

insightguy wrote:Is this the one that term13 streamed with demonsteele or is this another version?
Not the same at all - this new version of Touhou Doom is a 'Take 2' for that version; because I thought that a Touhou Doom could actually be possibly not bad.

It ended up rehauling literally everything, so yeah, this is a thing now.

EDIT: In fact, I only gave the mod its own thread because at this point the mod is basically almost entirely re-hauled.
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

Was happy for this mod to be released on Cirno Day of all things. What I didn't expect was Koishi Hell: Doom Edition with Shotgun DLC. °^°

This is a lot of fun. I cleared E1 on Lunatic, Flan and E2 on Normal so far. It feels kinda weird to see no health bar or timer. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm hitting bosses (vibration sound upon hitting enemies is not there, or the position indicator for bosses). However, Doomguy's fat hitbox being offset with health points works surprisingly well. I also like how certain spell cards go full 3D, like Kagome Kagome and Diamond Blizzard.

Some bosses are easily cheesed. In particular, you can avoid Mei Ling's Rainbow Wind Chime by standing on a hill, almost completely avoid Patchi's Royal Flare by running up to her and any of Remi's RNG "bullets move into random directions" walls by alternating between standing on her throne and on level with her.

Was waiting for meow in Satori's stage. Meow was never delivered. :(

It would be neat if Mei Ling's rainbow attacks actually had the rainbow colour pattern to them instead of a rainbow gradient on each bullet like in EoSD.

The second extra stage is a masterpiece.

I'll definitely play E3 and try to clear E2 on Lunatic as well. :p
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

KeksDose wrote:Was happy for this mod to be released on Cirno Day of all things. What I didn't expect was Koishi Hell: Doom Edition with Shotgun DLC. °^°
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah Koishi's entire battle is kind of, well,
Spoiler:
KeksDose wrote:This is a lot of fun. I cleared E1 on Lunatic, Flan and E2 on Normal so far. It feels kinda weird to see no health bar or timer. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm hitting bosses (vibration sound upon hitting enemies is not there, or the position indicator for bosses).
In order:
1. Lack of health bar is pure laziness on my part, though part of it is that Touhou Lifebars are weird; especially with any time there's more than one spellcard in a single lifebar, and that's kind of a pain to work out.
2. Timer is again laziness, though now that you mention it, I don't think it'd be that hard to implement it...
3. I actually really want to do the vibration sound; the only issue is that the only thing I have access to as far as monster-reaction sounds go is the pain-state (which would interrupt attacks, which I do not want), and I really don't want to have to modify every single projectile the player can fire.
4. The position indicator isn't really a thing as you can aim directly at a boss, circumventing the need for good placement to hurt them.
KeksDose wrote:However, Doomguy's fat hitbox being offset with health points works surprisingly well. I also like how certain spell cards go full 3D, like Kagome Kagome and Diamond Blizzard.
About 30% of the reason for this mod's existence is visual spectacle, so yeah, pretty much.
KeksDose wrote:Some bosses are easily cheesed. In particular, you can avoid Mei Ling's Rainbow Wind Chime by standing on a hill, almost completely avoid Patchi's Royal Flare by running up to her and any of Remi's RNG "bullets move into random directions" walls by alternating between standing on her throne and on level with her.
In order:
1. Meiling's Rainbow Wind Chime suffers from the fact that it's not actually aimed at you - which means it, by definition, cannot readjust its aim depending the player position. There is a reason that every single boss arena with a couple of exceptions is a 100% flat, featureless box - about 50% of the patterns in Touhou Doom completely fizzle if a vertical element is thrown in.
2. God damn it how did I miss that
3. See point 1 of this list.
KeksDose wrote:Was waiting for meow in Satori's stage. Meow was never delivered. :(
It felt dishonest to throw the meow sound in there without Midboss Orin, and I'm not putting Midboss Orin in there because ahahahahahahaha
KeksDose wrote:It would be neat if Mei Ling's rainbow attacks actually had the rainbow colour pattern to them instead of a rainbow gradient on each bullet like in EoSD.
Again, that's mostly laziness on my part.
KeksDose wrote:The second extra stage is a masterpiece.
HEH
KeksDose wrote:I'll definitely play E3 and try to clear E2 on Lunatic as well. :p
If you're a Touhou fan, I think you'll probably get a good kick out of E3.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

EDIT: Re-Download the file, it turns out I never tested Easy Mode: MAP18 couldn't actually be finished on easy mode, embarrassingly enough, and it was also missing a megasphere, making it far harder than intended on easier difficulties (I'd say it was on normal than lunatic).

Both of these are fixed.
insightguy

Re: [Release] Touhou Doom - Episodes I-III

Post by insightguy »

from finishing it, the last boss is a complete pushover to the point where i killed him without even moving. his painstate is abusable to no end.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

insightguy wrote:from finishing it, the last boss is a complete pushover to the point where i killed him without even moving. his painstate is abusable to no end.
First off, there's no 'He's' in the game (I'm pedantic), and sorry but /which/ final boss? Episode I? Episode II? Episode III? Does this include Extra Bosses?

EDIT: It's also worth noting that Episode IV (MAP21 to MAP30) isn't actually finished yet, so don't warp to those maps - there's nothing there!

(and also sorry but if you claim to beat Reimu without moving I'll calling total bull because her entire fight conspires to make that 5000% not possible, especially on Hard or Lunatic)
ArchXeno

Post by ArchXeno »

Seriously enjoying this, which Touhou game(s) are the bosses from?
dard22

Post by dard22 »

I'm really enjoy this mod so far, but I stuck on map16 in the room with candelabras. I don't have any clue how to avoid all this.
Untitled

Post by Untitled »

ArchXeno wrote:Seriously enjoying this, which Touhou game(s) are the bosses from?
EPISODE I: All bosses are taken from Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.
EPISODE II: Youmu/Yuyuko are from Touhou 7, though the patterns are inspired more by Touhou 10.5, Komachi's from Touhou 9 (with inspiration from 10.5), Suika's from 7.5 (inspiration for patterns from 9.5/12.5), the rest from Touhou 11, Koishi's patterns inspired by a lot of things
Episode III: Sanae's more or less directly from Touhou 10 (with some inspiration from 12.3), Alice inspired by 10.5, Marisa's patterns are from all over the place, Reimu's are kind of their own thing, Yukari is from Touhou 7 (with one pattern from 9.5)

Everyone's sprites except Rumia, Flandre, and the Touhou 11 bosses are all taken from Touhou 12.3: Hisoutensoku; I don't know where the rest are from.
dard22 wrote:I'm really enjoy this mod so far, but I stuck on map16 in the room with candelabras. I don't have any clue how to avoid all this.
The general strategy is:
Spoiler: It's more fun to figure it out yourself but if you want to know
badcaradvice

Post by badcaradvice »

I played what would count was the original, and wasn't terribly impressed with it.

This, I am enjoying. I mean, it's nice to play DOOM with Touhou because I'm actually decent at DOOM. :V
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

Untitled wrote:
insightguy wrote:from finishing it, the last boss is a complete pushover to the point where i killed him without even moving. his painstate is abusable to no end.
First off, there's no 'He's' in the game (I'm pedantic), and sorry but /which/ final boss? Episode I? Episode II? Episode III? Does this include Extra Bosses?

EDIT: It's also worth noting that Episode IV (MAP21 to MAP30) isn't actually finished yet, so don't warp to those maps - there's nothing there!

(and also sorry but if you claim to beat Reimu without moving I'll calling total bull because her entire fight conspires to make that 5000% not possible, especially on Hard or Lunatic)
I'm talking about that spider mastermind variant at the last episode. the one colored black with green eyes.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”