Monster Scouter - Show Enemy Health (addon)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Spaceman333

Monster Scouter - Show Enemy Health (addon)

Post by Spaceman333 »

Announcement:

This project has been succeeded and surpassed by a newer, better mod created by m8f:
Target Spy

Get it here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60784

This mod does everything I planned the Monster Scouter to have in the future and then goes even further beyond:
  • Fully customizable colors, up to 10% increments.
  • ASCII healthbar, which can be fully customized with any character on the keyboard.
  • ASCII crosshair, that can also show the status of a monster when hovering the aim over them.
  • Multiple color modes for the healthbar, one that gradually darkens (same as this mod's multicolor version) and a dual color, similar to the health bar in Street Fighter 2.
  • Different font styles for the health display.
  • Turn on and off any combination of the name display, hp bar and numeric health to suit your liking.
  • Full netplay support.
  • Position of health bar can be changed.
  • Huge amount of options to customize many aspects of the mod.
  • Many extra features, like kill confirming, a visual frame around a target and so much more.

It is the ultimate edition that monster scouter aspired to be, so go get that instead of this! Its really good!

Get it here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=60784

Monsters Scouter will still remain available in its old current form as a resource to learn ACS, but if you need a health display addon mod, then get Target Spy instead of this. Its one key benefit is that it is compatible with zandronum and older zdoom sourceports.

===================[Monster Scouter - Legacy]===================

"VEGETA! What does the scouter say about that demon's health level?"
"ITS UNDER 9000! Kick its ass Nappa!"

I wanted a lightweight, subtle and universal addon that would display the health of any monsters I'm aiming at, so I made this mod.

It works with any mod, any monster and any other shootable actor, including barrels too. A totally universal addon.
The one thing that this mod has over Target Spy is compatibility with Zandronum and older zdoom sourceports.
(Its also great template for learning ACS due to simple code)

There are several versions available:

MonsterScouter_MultiColor_Dead.pk3 - Health text is shown with different color, depending on monsters health level (100%, 75%, 50% and 25%). [Original]
MonsterScouter_DotVersion3.pk3 - Super minimalistic version that essentially replaces the crosshair with a - that changes color depending on monster health [Addon, can be used together with the other two]
Monsterscouter-plus.pk3 - Enhanced version of original mod, created by banjiepixel, with these additions: [Fan Updated Fork - Newest]
banjiepixel wrote:I love the monsterscoutrer addon and I have been playing with it while also slowly tweaking it to my liking. It has been great first touch with acs and I have learned alot with this project.
My version is mainly made to be used with complex doom/lca but works great with other mods and vanilla too.

Changes:

-Only shows actors that are counted to monster killcount.
-Monster name color is now red if enemy, green if friendly.
-New brighter monster health number colors.
-Now has own color for when actor has more than 100% health.
-Indicator for invulnerable monster status (great for LCA Legendaries)

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2x9zy4ju1 ... s.pk3/file
DOWNLOAD:

Alt Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2x9zy4ju1 ... s.pk3/file
Monsterscouter-Plus.pk3
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 2107 times
MonsterScouter_MultiColor_Dead.pk3
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 883 times
MonsterScouter_DotVersion3.pk3
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 627 times
No more guessing how much hp that pesky Cyberdemon has left.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Spaceman333 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:31 am, edited 6 times in total.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Re: Monster Scouter - Show Enemy Health (addon)

Post by Slax »

Snag'd.
Good stuff.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Wow, a JP Enemy Health Bar alternative? I'll have to check this out ASAP! :o
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

A kind anonymous contributor over at /vr/doom overhauled the code and made it more sleeker, though the mod is essentially the same. I'm uploading this version with the "dead monsters" option on, meaning the scouter will still display monster's name and health even after their dead.

Some folks said this feature was distracting, but I personally like it. Enjoy:
MonsterScouter_MultiColor_Dead.pk3
Alternative version that will display the health of even dead monsters.
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 388 times

If you have any preferences about this mod, let me know. In the future, I'm intending to learn how to make an options menu or some sort of method to tweak the features and values of this mod on and off. So, if there are any special wishes regarding the customization or new features for the mod, now would be an opportune time to voice them, so I can take them into account for the mod's design.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Gave it a go. It's good, but it seems decorations are showing too with 1000 health. Also, works with Zandronum 3.0 too.
Voros

Post by Voros »

Would be funny if the scouter detects a thing with over 9000 health, an 20-damaging explosion happens that disables the scouter :P nonetheless, will download.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

It would be nice to have the option for a health bar instead of (or in addition to) numbers so you can tell how much approx health they have at a glance without having to read
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Trusty McLegit wrote:It would be nice to have the option for a health bar instead of (or in addition to) numbers so you can tell how much approx health they have at a glance without having to read
Hey, I really like that idea. I think it could be doable with some clever ascii trickery. Thank you for suggesting that.
I'm currently thinking of two variants on how that would work.

Type one:
I think ten equals symbols ( ========== ) that all start out tan, then as health goes down, the = symbols turn darkgrey depending on the hp % the monster has left, while the other = symbols would gradually do the usual Tan -> Gold -> Orange -> Red color thing.

Type two:
Same as above, but more simple. The = symbols turn darkred, while green one represent how much health is left.

I'm also wondering whether or not numbers should be shown along side or not. (currently health left in numbers).
I'm bad at code, so if you think you can do this faster than me (probably a month or so), then please do pitch in!

I have spoilered the code below, so if you want to take a crack at it, then please do so. Your work will be featured on the first post prominently.
Spoiler: template code
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

This is pretty handy, I like it more than the typical huge bars, although it showing health for corpses is kind of...off. Like, I mean, I know the corpse is dead, and it potentially blocks living actors from being scanned if they happen to be in the way.
I do like the version with the ASCII bar as well, I'd probably use that one when it's done.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

I really like that ascii bar, though I feel the health should drain right to left for some reason
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Hetdegon wrote:This is pretty handy, I like it more than the typical huge bars, although it showing health for corpses is kind of...off. Like, I mean, I know the corpse is dead, and it potentially blocks living actors from being scanned if they happen to be in the way.
I do like the version with the ASCII bar as well, I'd probably use that one when it's done.
Noted, I'll have it off by default in future versions. For now, just use the mod provided on the first post. Its functionally identical to the "latest" one I posted above, except that it has the "show dead" offline.
Trusty McLegit wrote:I really like that ascii bar, though I feel the health should drain right to left for some reason
Thanks, seems I'm on the right direction then. I found the mention about the direction the bar should drain amusing, since I deliberately made it go the opposite direction. I thought that this bar represents the "other" entity, something that is else than the player, so it would make sense to differentiate it somehow to communicate to the player that this UI element is for something external of the player, rather than internal, like health or stamina.

Traditionally healthbars in most games always follow the right to left, so it makes sense why theres a desire for it to work that way. Since I'm planning to make the mod customizable in a lot of ways, I think the direction of the bar can also be made an option too, to suit both preferences.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Fair enough :)
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

NEW ALTERNATIVE VERSION RELEASE:
A user on /vr/doom suggested making the enemy health appear on a tiny crosshair, so I quickly made this; Dot Crosshair version.

Point the crosshair at an enemy and it will give a hint at how much health it has using 4 color states (Tan - Gold - Orange - Red). There is a great emphasis on subtlety with this one; it's barely noticable.

I like the idea and it works fairly neatly that I'll eventually add it to the future super customizable version I'm hoping to do later. For now anyone who want to use this now can download it here:
MonsterScouter_DotVersion3.pk3
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Hetdegon

Post by Hetdegon »

Huh, sounds a bit too minimalistic, but let's give it a spin and see how if fares.
JudgeGroovy

Post by JudgeGroovy »

Cool stuff, thanks for making this! I'm using the multicolor one from the first post for the record.

If there's one that doesn't show TechPillar (1000 health) etc and also doesn't show dead enemies in the future, that'd be extra cool. And I prefer numbers instead of health bars myself, the subtlety is the beauty of it.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”