WANT TO TEST THE LATEST DEVELOPMENT VERSION, OR DISCUSS THE MOD IN GENERAL? COME CHECK OUT THE NEW HERETICAL DOOM DISCORD!
*Coming Soon: Bugfixes, More Vanilla+ enhancements, integrated compatibility for Heretical Doom Monsters, and more!*
DOWNLOAD V1.5 HERE!
HERETICAL MONSTERS(v0.4) <-UP NEXT FOR AN UPDATE, SHOULDN'T BE TOO LONG!
***The base mod Heretical Doom IS still compatible with monster replacement mods, if you would like to use them, please load them BEFORE Heretical Doom in your load list and disable the Vanilla+ option!***
-If the Vanilla+ monsters in Doom aren't to your liking, there is an option to reset them back to vanilla specs.-
***Monsters addon currently works for Doom/Heretic. Hexen, Chex, and Strife replacers not yet in place.***
*Use the compatibility patch if you would like to use HDMonsters with other gameplay mods that do not alter monsters. COMPATIBILITY PATCH WILL NO LONGER BE NECESSARY AS OF NEXT VERSION!
ICARUSLIV3S review of v1.0:
NOW WITH HERETIC, HEXEN, AND CHEX SUPPORT *FIXED FOR REAL THIS TIME*
-Strife is still a bit buggy, but IS functional with Modern Magister mode.
DON'T LIKE ALL THE FANCY NEW RELOADS AND MAGICS? CHECK OUT CLASSIC MODE!
*Works in Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and Chex. Strife support for Classic Mode will come in future versions*
Also Corvette a cute.
Version 1.5 introduces a lot of improvements to the Vanilla+ Monsters option, as well as a lot of weapon tweaks, a new shock combo, revamps for multiple weapons, a powered altfire for the sidhe's wrath, pod kicking, and a whole lot more!
There are new help screens, as well as popup screens that give you information about abilities unlocked, as well as the effects of your selected spell. Feel free to bind them to help keep track of your arcane might!
Spoiler:--Heretical Doom Monsters v0.4--
=== Melee Staff ===
• Staff altfire's reflector should be massively improved in terms of accuracy, less likely to block to the sides/behind, and less likely for projectiles to get "stuck" in it. Now resembles a thin wall in front of the player, rather than a giant cube, and sticks to the player better while moving.
• Whirling Dervish attack has been powered up: When Corvus has spare mana, it will use some to make the attack more powerful, and unleash ripping wind slashes to deal additional damage. If used when tomed, it will become even more powerful and launch an additional even more devastating volley of gusts! The powered version does still use up even more mana though, so be careful not to run out!
• Fixed a melee staff frame having incorrect offsets
• Improved the melee staff attack animations a bit
=== Gold Wand ===
• Normal fire how now been significantly sped up, should help with plinking at range significantly
• Updated the firing trail for the primary tracer
• Fixed Gold Wand accuracy reduction when rapid firing
• Spread for continued fire has been slightly reduced, though still less accurate than single shots.
• Gold wand shots will now always destroy pods in one shot
• Reduced the altfire cost back to 5
=== Ethereal Crossbow ===
• Fixed a damage miscalculation when using the crossbow's double bolt mode's primary fire (was way too high in unscaled mode)
• Crossbow bolt “shards” now have their damage drop off over distance: most attacks with the weapon are now even stronger at point blank, but weaker at range.
• Single bolt primary fire has had its spread normalized: vertical and horizontal spreads are both now more consistent.
• Single bolt primary fire now also has a manual “quick refire” if tapping the button instead of holding it. Quick refire does however have more spread.
• Single bolt altfire (jumbo bolt) has had its lower end of its damage calculation increased, and now travels faster. This attack also has a quick refire as well, though the window is much tighter.
• Powered Altfire for the Ethereal Crossbow has been reworked: Instead of bouncing around and looking for targets, it now functions as a brain-seeking drill which detonates after a short time.
=== Dragon Claw ===
• Primary Fire has been changed: Now fires sequentially from each individual talon.
• Accuracy has been improved.
• Fire Rate has been reduced slightly.
• Fixed Powered dragon claw altfire damage, is now a “one time ripper” and should be useful vs both lined up hordes and bosses alike.
• Powered altfire now also has improved visual and audio feedback.
=== Phoenix Rod ===
• Made the Phoenix Rod's normal fire a bit deeper sounding
• The powered primary fire (flamethrower) has been improved! Instead of only firing in a straight line, it fires 4(!!) projectiles at a time in a wide spread
• These projectiles still do not rip boss enemies, but have even greater crowd control capabilities than before.
• Phoenix Combo Gold Wand bombs now have more gravity, but launch upward. Should make them more contained when being used for carpet bombing
• Decreased the cost for the Ethereal Crossbow's shock combo to 0 additional ammo, 1 mana.
• Altfire charging now has a new animation, should help with identifying what projectile each level of charge unleashes.
• Third tier altfire projectile and firing attack animation have been updated.
• NEW COMBO: Shooting the level 2 charged orb with a normal Phoenix Rod shot will cause it to absorb the shot, getting bigger and having a larger and more damaging explosion! This can be done multiple times, and will detonate over time if no more are applied.
• Phoenix Combo Firemace orbs should no longer detonate Firemace Powered Altfire pods
=== Sidhe's Wrath ===
• Sidhe's Wrath normal fire has been reworked: Instead of ripping enemies, each ghost will cling to them, dealing continuous damage until it expires.
• If the enemy dies before the spooker's time is up, it will seek out a new target.
• If a LARGE number of ghosts attack the same target simultaneously, something special will happen
• Spooky ghosts are now purple, and are a bit more translucent
• Powered fire has been adjusted: Ghosts last half as long as normal ones, but do twice as much damage to compensate. They also home in on their target faster, but each shot has a minimum commitment of 5 charge (actual cost unchanged.)
• The powered altfire is finally here! Instead of summoning fallen Sidhe to help in the fight, a large friendly Maulotaur will come to your aid!
• The Maulotaur has decreased health compared to his normal counterpart, but has a much more powerful repertoire of attacks. For more information, see the Heretic section of the Vanilla+ notes.
• The Maulotaur CAN inflict friendly damage on the player, but it is at a considerably reduced rate (20%) so some caution is needed when using this mighty ally.
=== Rebalancing ===
• Reloading scaling has been adjusted across the board: Passive recharge scales directly with level, while direct reloading will improve at different rates for each weapon. Generally speaking, reloads are a bit slower than previous at low levels, and much faster than previous at higher levels.
• Increased Hellstaff altfire cost from 15 to 20
• Gauntlets of the Necromancer's punches damage increased
• StoneSkin spell now grants immunity to knockback
• Tome of Power mana perk has been reworked: Instead of disabling the passive mana drain of the spell when active, it will reduce the additional ammo cost on almost all attacks when the spell is active.
• The primary fire for the Phoenix Rod when tomed has not been reduced, since it is already extremely cheap.
• Ammo pickups have been slightly increased across the board for Classic Caster Corvette.
=== HUD Changes ===
• Added two new popup screens, one for weapons and unlocks, the other for Spell information!
• The weapon and unlock screen is accessed via the Strife “status” popup, so be sure to bind it!
• Status screen shows all weapons picked up, whether their altfire has been unlocked, and whether their powered altfire has been unlocked.
• The spell information popup is tied to the “log” popup.
• This popup lists the name of the spell, its HUD icon, a description of the spell, its mana costs (activation, and sustaining,) and includes a small tip on its usage.
These will be improved and expanded upon over future versions, so please feel free to provide any feedback!
• HELP screens also updated, now both more legible and covering more topics, with nifty little illustrations and extra tips!
• “Selected item” indicator is now green to help with visibility.
=== Misc Bugfixes and Tweaks ===
• Misc cleanup of code documentation
• Weapons now play sounds while The Spell of Tranquility is active!
• Weapons now have unique recharge sounds
• Armor Bonuses can go over the 200 limit now, similar to health bonuses
• Armor draining through specific melee attacks still have their previous limits
• Armor draining through attacks should be more consistently generated as well, so it shouldn't jump to full instantly with certain attacks.
• The Gold Wand and Dragon Claw primary fire are now able to activate hitscan-specific switches. Sigil fans rejoice!
• Added CVAR to disable the passive mana regeneration that can be gained at high levels. When active, mana is ONLY granted through pickups.
• When picking up an Enchanted shield, it will now automatically be used if any lesser armor types are active.
• 3D Model Projectiles and Damage Scaling Projectiles have been disabled by default, and moved to their own options section. As they aren't being considered for future updates to the mod, they will need to be re-enabled each time the game is loaded.
• Fixed Running bug that caused the player to do short speed bursts with a cooldown instead of functioning like proper running.
• The torch spell no longer detonates Pods. Navigating the dark just got that much safer!
• Fixed a bug where having level scaling enabled reduced the cost of the Gold Wand's tomed primary fire.
• Fixed an issue that would cause some of Corvus' spells to deactivate automatically after an extended period.
• Fixed a rare bug that could occur when unmorphing from the RoosterRoaster powerup.
• Fixed Access All Altfires CVAR for the Firemace Powered Altfire.
• noinfighting MAPINFO flag was causing some unintentional issues, and thus has been fixed. Changed out for a script that causes monsters to be able to hurt each other with projectiles, but only infight on low difficulty.
• There is also a CVAR to disable the infighting script entirely, allowing infighting on all difficulties.
• Fixed Hellstaff powered normal fire volume issue
• Fixed Flechette counts being incorrect while automap is open
• Fixed trajectory of Powered Firemace orbs when firing
• Fixed autoswap issue with Flechette Launcher: Should no longer take priority on pickup, Gauntlets are chosen instead
• Pods can now be both pushed AND kicked! Pods do not take damage from kicking, so go have fun!
• Gauntlets now have a new particle going forward: The previous particle effect is still there when 3D models are enabled.
• 3D models mode has had its missing projectiles fixed! No more random blue projectile sprites where there should be tracers instead!
That said, I am planning to shift away from the tracers that were carried over from Brutal Heretic, due to maintenance concerns such as this one. I will be making the CVAR set to OFF by default in this version to prepare for the future, but for now it can be manually re-enabled. If there is enough call for it to be kept, I will do my best to not remove it in future versions!
=== Vanilla+ Monsters Changes ===
• Vanilla + replacer CVAR improved: now affects Heretic and Hexen as well, and should play nicer with other Monster Mods: simply disable the CVAR when loading monster packs and you're good to go!
• Zombieman+: Attacks slowed down a bit from previous version, reduced chance of “snipe” attack. Can be kicked back as well.
• ShotGunGuy+: Changed up the attack feedback and sound for when he uses his double shot. Attack is also now slightly slower. (NOTE: will sound slightly different in doom 1 due to not having the SSG and its files.) Can be kicked back as well.
• Demon+: Bite attack improved! Will now attempt to gnaw on the player and hold them in place while enjoying their meal. Also includes a CVAR Where they will stick to the player's front during this attack instead of turning the player away. Can be kicked back as well.
• Lost Soul+: Greatly improved the dashing attack, but broke the actual damaging part into two steps: The dash itself does minimal damage, but has very good tracking. When in melee range, the lost soul will flash ominously and go for an additional attack which does damage similar to its vanilla rating. This attack can be avoided if moving but can be quite dangerous in mobs. Has a small cooldown after the melee attack to give the player time to get some distance after being hit. Can be kicked back as well.
• HellKnight/Baron+: Counterattack conditions improved! Instead of just having a chance of countering whenever a fast projectile was near, the formula was changed to allow for a bit more player control. Their pain chance is set to 25%, and upon entering their pain state will sometimes visibly prepare to counterattack. When in their counterattack stance, any fast projectile will trigger their counter, but they are only in this stance for a short period before giving up. Properly spacing your attacks can make any weapon safe against them, while going full auto will generally get punished. Its worth noting that they have a reduced pain chance from the Ethereal Crossbow to prevent exploiting their counter window, so be careful if you're trying to interrupt them! Also while the HellStaff is still the safest weapon against them, they do have a very small chance to counterattack it as well.
• Projectiles for the HellKnight/Baron+ have also been updated: If a fireball rolls low damage (8-32) it is green like normal. if it rolls high damage (40-64) it is now red. If it is a revenge projectile, it is blue. Damage calculations should be more consistent in their overall ranges based of these brackets, with a little bit more variation of the actual number within said ranges. With this in mind, The Hell Knight has a slightly higher chance of rolling lower damage, while the Baron of Hell has a slightly higher chance of rolling higher damage. ***There is an option to disable the color coding if you prefer, but the damage split will work the same.
Revenant+: non-homing projectiles have been slowed down a bit, and the damage of both variations of projectile have had their explosion damage slightly reduced.
Sprite has been slightly shrunk: Hitbox now matches sprite representation entirely, with minimal distortion of sprite.
• Mancubus+ : Fixed his fireball spread not tracking pitch properly.
• Archvile+: Occasionally summons small flaming voodoo dolls that hunt down the player before exploding in their face. Will detonate on its own after a certain period of time if avoided.
• Cyberdemon+ : If he loses sight of the player during his three shot volley, he shoots a large burst of bouncing rockets that can be rather unpredictable. Be careful around corners!
• Spider Mastermind+ : Upgraded Chaingun that functions similarly to the improvements on the Chaingunners: Starts slow and accurate, then spools up to become faster and less accurate. When the player is too far away for the normal attack to be effective, The Spider Mastermind will instead prepare 4 very deadly bursts from all the barrels. Loading these bursts takes a little bit of time, so you'll definitely want to try to find cover before they go off! In addition to the new attacks, the AI has been sped up a bit, and it is also a bit more resistant to pain.
• Tracer replacement option added, when enabled, replaces standard doom hitscan attacks with comparable fastprojectiles.
• Tracer replacements have +RIPPER status, so they will go through (almost) anyone in their path.
• Enemies take reduced damage from friendly tracers + have no pain chance with it.
The Heretic monster replacements are still fairly early in their development, and will likely be changed in the future. While the obvious move is to simply use the Heretical Doom Monsters addon, this option is for a “closer to vanilla” approach for a lot of the bestiary.
• Gargoyle: Dash attack considerably improved: Faster, much harder to dodge, and does very minor damage on impact. Increased the melee threshold a bit to avoid swarms of unavoidable damage when in large numbers.
• Gargoyle Leader: Faster attacks, both with animation and fireballs themselves being sped up. Projectile speed varies depending on difficulty chosen.
• Mummy: Increases in speed the lower his health. Speeds up at 50% health, and again at 25%
• NitroGolem: Fires homing ghosts in groups of 3, with speed and homing capabilities determined by difficulty chosen. They can be shot out of midair by default, but this can be disabled in the options.
• Undead Knight: Throws axes in quick volleys of 3, with the first being more accurate than the latter 2, thowing animation also sped up considerably. Projectile speed varies depending on difficulty chosen.
• Wizard: Can now move while charging up his attack, and when in melee range will use a repulsion spell that deals moderate damage. When below 50% health, loses the ability to move while charging his spell, but will fire three waves of projectiles at the end of his spell cast. Projectile speed varies depending on difficulty chosen.
• Iron Lich: Movement speed increased, and when under 25% health, Will become more aggressive, immune to pain, and will begin attempting to polymorph the player into a chicken! As its attacks are indiscriminate, this can also hit vulnerable monsters as well!
Fire, ice, and wind projectile speeds vary depending on difficulty chosen. ****Protip: The Chaos Device will revert you instantly from chicken form
• Werebeast: When below 25% health, will attempt to devour other creatures to regain its health. If no enemies are nearby, the beast will instead try to eat the player. While being gnawed upon, the player can fight free to avoid the bulk of the damage and deny the monster his healing, but can not interrupt his meal when he's eating a lesser monster. Currently Werebeasts will try to eat Gargoyles, Mummies, and Sabreclaws. Projectile speed varies depending on difficulty chosen.
• Sabreclaw: Sped up attack animation, and when reduced to 33% health will gain a large speed boost as it desperately tries to close the gap.
• Ophidian: Attack speed slightly improved, and projectiles travel considerably faster, and have a weaving pattern while in midair. When under 33% health, fires only the stronger homing projectiles. Projectile speed (and tracking for strong shot) varies depending on difficulty chosen.
• Maulotaur: Attacks have been revamped a bit, Charge attack has a startup, but travels CONSIDERABLY faster. Also knocks away anything in its path while charging, and has the ability to alter his movement direction slightly while charging. Fireballs fire in a 5 projectile spread and travel faster, while his ground-traveling explosive flames have a serpentine pattern to them, making them harder to dodge in small areas.
Spoiler:What is Heretical Doom?
Heretical Doom Monsters Changelog v0.4
Fixed Ghosts being able to telefrag
increased Mass across the board to reduce pushback (Heretic defaults are way too low)
Headshots no longer require spectral tag. This should enable cross-mod compatibility for headshots.
Despite the above, monsters should not be able to shoot their own heads while aiming upward. They CAN, however, land headshots on other monsters. Due to this, enemy projectiles now have damage types which will help prevent this from being an issue in terms of balance.
Monsters take increased damage from monster attacks, mostly to make projectile reflecting more worthwhile. This will likely change in future versions.
Added a CVAR to the menu which allows you to control headshot damage from none to 3x damage (at .25 increments.) Default is 1.
Added a CVAR which lets you toggle on or off decapitations (Will go to XDeath State instead.)
Fixed low gore mode to only have minimal blood, and no gibs. Should now play friendly with other goremods like Nashgore.
Difficulties updated to match core Heretical Doom mod.
Improved headshot death spiral animation.
“Slow” option for gargoyles has been changed to “Steady”
“Steady” Melee Gargoyles have the following changes: Instead of having a fast movement speed and sporadic movement pattern, they will instead have a slower normal movement speed, and home in on the player while gaining speed as their ranged attack.
Will try to match the player's height better while using melee attacks (previously, they would claw at the air well above the player's head due to height values)
Sped up “Lumbering” speed a bit.
Increased health to 125.
Gave a custom sprite, animation, and sound to the “windup” of the dash punch.
Melee Golem Pain chance changed: Now has a 100% pain chance, but upon entering the pain state has a 50% chance of becoming immune to pain until the end of his next action (either an attack, or the end of his next walk cycle) *This is mostly an under the hood change, his animation will appear similar to as if he had a normally low pain chance
Melee Golem will restore 10 health every time he winds up for a dash punch.
Dash punch will not normally be used it when within 300 units.
Failsafe applied to prevent “stutter looping” on high aggressiveness.
Made a CVAR to have Pain state jump to a retaliation dash punch (regardless of cooldown.) Revenge Dash has a shorter windup than the normal dash, but does not activate on every hit.
Melee Golem dash attack now has a downward variation: If the golem goes over the player's head, they will slam down and release an explosive shockwave.
Third axe variation improved: will now bounce off of ceilings, and will roll along the ground until it hits a wall (or actor.) Travels slower and shorter in midair, and speeds up on hitting the ground.
Decreased quake effect on headshot death, both duration and intensity.
New Variant: Rapid Archer! While having much less health than the normal variant and generally being less mobile, this one will focus on unloading large salvos of arrows as quickly as possible, with very deadly results!
These arrows will do a bit less damage, but will travel faster as well.
The normal archer will now occasionally knock multiple arrows at a time for a spread shot!
Normal Archer arrows will travel a bit slower, and their health has been brought down to 150.
New Variant: SaberSquall! What he lacks in stealth, he makes up in mobility and tenacity. Trades his jumping slash attack for a spin attack, and trades his cloaking ability for a ranged volley of air slashes.
Air slashes have RIPPER status, so they will rend anyone in their path. Damage can build up fairly quickly if you don't keep on your toes.
Dash attack is low damage but repeated, and the SaberSquall can be hard to disengage when he gets close.
Both variations move a little bit slower on “aggressive” CVAR setting.
Claw Wizards now attack the same amount of times in either direction, and also have had their accuracy improved.
Claw Wizards are now blue to make them easier to recognize.
Barbarian variant speed slightly reduced, but now can walk through walls and actors! Be careful of ambushes!
Barbarian variant can also become ethereal and teleport closer to you. He is unable to be attacked while phasing, but must have LoS to perform teleport.
All Ghosts now have matching afterimages rather than those of the player..
Now occasionally does a crouching attack, which lowers his hurtbox as well as fires projectiles that slither along the floor
Both normal and ground firing animations have been updated.
Now has a melee attack! Will knock you away and display his satisfaction before immediately going into a ranged volley.
Will take a bit longer to start attacking, but is faster and more aggressive overall
Volleys now fire two projectiles at a time, which weave left to right
damage calculation has been halved to compensate for the extra projectiles.
Now has a flamebreath melee attack
When the player is within close range, the werebeast will breathe a continuous stream of fire on them for as long as they remain close.
Fire breath's damage is low, but it is continuous and has a wide cone, making it deadly in tight encounters.
Restored the original sprites for his flame attacks
Upped health to 500/600 from 300/400.
Heretical Doom started as a spinoff from Seidolon's Brutal Heretic RPG mod, adapting many of its core elements over to Doom/2/TNT/Plutonia. The main goals of this mod are to create a fast paced, flashy, fantasy weapon mod for the Doom IWADS (While also later being universally compatible with Hexen, Heretic, and hopefully someday I'll get Strife to work properly!) For the most part this started as a Decorate and ACS tutorial for myself, but the more I learn the more I WANT to learn!
OK, cool, neat. Now why should I play this? I could just go play some other mod and pick Corvus!
I am personally a fan of high adrenaline gameplay mods, and I intend to keep Heretical Doom cranked up as much as possible. Gameplay is supposed to feel both overpowered and unforgiving: You will have all of the tools you need, but you need to be quick to utilize them. This is especially prevalent when paired with difficult monster mods/slaughterwads, or the Vanilla+ mode
Monster Mods? So there are no Monster replacers here? Also what the hell is Vanilla+?
Just a modular addon, which can be loaded after the core mod. I've always been a fan of rotating mods like Colorful Hell, BDMonstersOnly, Doomkraken's Monster Randomizer, etc into my playthroughs, especially when pairing them with different gameplay mods. This should also help with compatibility with different iwads later down the line. As for Vanilla+, it is the name for the optional built-in monster replacer, currently supporting Doom, Heretic, and Hexen. The vanilla roster of the given IWAD is injected with a bit of a boost to match Corvus and Corvette's abilities, leading to some devestating (and sometimes unexpected) behavior. Highly recommended, though it is optional if the changes prove to be too much.
: Corvus has learned a slew of new martial techniques over his travels, making this an extremely versatile weapon. Corvette's not too shabby with one either.
FIRE - Starts with a quick poke, then leads in to a continuous volley of swings. When Tomed, these attacks can not only hit ghosts, but they become much more poerful both normally and with their TIMED HIT variations.
ALTFIRE- Deflect projectiles by spinning rapidly! Powered mode turns your staff spins into a whirlwind of destruction, pulling enemies in and tearing them to shreds! Pressing KICK while spinning the staff will do a spinning melee attack in all directions, while pressing ATTACK will cause Corvus to polevault, and JUMP will perform a propeller twirl to defy gravity (to a degree.)
RELOAD- pressing reload while using the melee staff will cause corvus to briefly meditate, and regain a small amount of health. He is very vulnerable during this ritual, so use with care! If the player attacks while the ritual is active, Corvus will quickly cancel it and use his own mana to restore his health instead.
Both the ritual and its alternate have different effects if done while tomed!
TIMED HITS - When doing normal attack combos, you may notice a small hourglass at the bottom of the screen. Timing your attacks perfectly will give them different effects, depending on how far along the attack chain you are. Try experimenting!
:These gauntlets are hungry. Hungry for life energy. Most of the time it will be the enemy's, but a clever caster can sacrifice their own to gain its boons.
FIRE - Continuous electric shock. When tomed, electricity does more damage and drains health.
ALTFIRE - Sacrifice health and slam the ground, causing a shockwave to erupt in all directions. When tomed, perform a lethal flurry of punches that drain health, ending with a mighty kick.
RELOAD - pressing reload while using the gauntlets will cause Corvus to shock himself, infusing himself with magical energy. Holding Attack during the ritual will instead use the health to charge your HDKrater.
KICK - Despite the name, this key will actually cause Corvus to perform a 1-2 punch. Holding FIRE while punching will cause him to followup with a single thrusting kick, while holding ALTFIRE will cause him to follow up with a jumping snap kick.
Both the ritual and its alternate have different effects if done while tomed!
:The trademark weapon of the Sidhe, Corvus' wand is a bit... special.
FIRE - Fires a fast moving, very accurate bolt of energy. Continuous fire will decrease the accuracy a bit. When Tomed, will shoot 5 bolts over a wide area, with the outermost 2 dealing a bit more damage.
ALTFIRE - Launches the crystal geode from the top of the wand, which explodes on impact. When tomed, fires an incredibly fast bolt that explodes on impact for very high damage.
: The crossbow works by splintering ethereal bolts into a deadly barrage of shards. These shards deal reduced damage over distance, making most firing modes best done in close combat: With two fire modes and multiple attacks for each, however, it is an extremely versatile weapon.
FIRE - Splits into 6 shards that travel in a horizontal spread. Can be manually refired at a faster rate by timing your attacks. When Tomed, fires a wide spread of bolts that leave an explosive trail in their wake.
ALTFIRE - shoots a single large bolt that deals good damage and does not suffer from damage falloff over distance. When Tomed, the bolt instead becomes a brain seeking ethereal drill, latching on to an enemy's skull and burning away until it explodes.
Dual Bolt Mode
FIRE - Splinters both bolts to produce even more shards per shot, though their spread suffers a bit for it. When Tomed it functions similarly to normal mode, but the explosive bolts are fired in a tighter spread.
ALTFIRE - Splinters even more bolts to create a massive letal barrage. While its recovery is slow and its ammo cost is high, its destructive power is unquestionable. When Tomed, fires TWO brain seeking ethereal drills at a time.
RELOAD - Switches between firing modes
: The Dragon Claw is generally seen as an upgrade to the Elven Wand, for what it loses in accuracy, it makes up for in speed and power. With its new sequential fire, it can be a bit more tricky to use when shooting from behind cover: however it is still an extremely potent weapon.
FIRE - Fires a continuous volley of bolts from each of its talons, one at a time, in a rotating pattern. When Tomed, these bolts are replaced with spiked orbs that will shred their targets, and fire off even more bolts on impact with a wall.
ALTFIRE - Fires from all 4 talons at once, in a wave pattern., for extremely high burst damage. When Tomed, Corvus will instead gather energy for a moment before releasing a torrent of shredding bolts, guaranteed to rip through anything in their path. Just make sure you've got stable footing, as the force exerted is quite extreme.
: The Hellstaff is the embodiment of "Slow and Steady." While its bolts may be slow to reach their target, their damage is both high and consistent. When paired with its rate of fire, the Hellstaff is an excellent choice for enemies of all sizes.
FIRE - Shoots slow moving, highly damaging bolts. When tomed, the Hellstaff fires a large number of these bolts in a rather recognizable pattern.
ALTFIRE - Fires a magical cloud which rains down arcane bolts that explode on impact. When Tomed, the Hellstaff instead channels that energy into a continuous stream of lightning, dealing high damage to anything cause in its beam.
: The Phoenix Rod is a symbol of life, rebirth, and most important, fire. Many of its attacks are focused around area denial and high explosive damage, so it is a weapon that should only be used in proper circumstances. Unless you're protected from its effects, of course.
FIRE - Shoots a fast travelling explosive bolt, which detonates on impact. When Tomed, channels these bolts through the rod to instead create a wide range flamethrower, perfect for incinerating large groups.
The ALTFIRE has 3 stages of charge, which function differently.
STAGE 1 - Fires a larger explosive bolt, which reaches over a wide range when detonated.
STAGE 2 - Fires a slow moving orb of magical energy, which can then be shot with different projectiles for a variety of effects. Experiment and find what suits the situation best!
STAGE 3 - Releasing a magic phoenix, which seeks the nearest source of corrupted life and attempted to purify it. You know, with a fiery explosion.
: An extremely deadly, albeit situational weapon. All of the firemace's attacks are both explosive, and react to gravity, so great care (or some protection) are needed to use this weapon to its potential.
FIRE - Launches a continuous stream of explosive orbs. These orbs will bounce off of any surfaces, before exploding on contact with enemies (or coming to a stop.) When Tomed, the Firemace instead launches larger clusterbomb orbs, which then explode into smaller ones for a much larger payload.
ALTFIRE - Infuses a large orb with gravity, causing it to continuously pull in all nearby creatures (and items.) Upon making contact with an enemy, it will detonate. When Tomed, The orb is instead transmorphed into a Pod Seed, which will continue to grow pods as long as there is room to do so.
: The forbidden relic of the Sidhe, this wand is a device that was created to corrupt the life giving energy of the Phoenix Rod, and instead use it for the necromantic arts. Desperate times call for Desperate measures, and your ancestors won't mind having a go at the minions of the Serpent Riders. Probably.
FIRE - Channels souls of the damned into the orb, before launching their prison ahead. When it shatters, the souls are released and latch on to the nearest enemy, desperately trying to absorb its life force. The potency of this attack decreases as the spirits are more spread apart. When Tomed, these spirits are instead released in a continuous stream.
ALTFIRE - Summons the souls of deceased Sidhe warriors to provide aid in battle. When Tomed, Corvus will instead call upon a Maulotaur Champion to decimate his enemies(and hopefully not himself in the process.)
Many of these attacks are similar when used by Corvette, though they may function a bit different/more simplistic.
This magical Chalice collects any excess magical energy that Corvus is unable to use to charge his weapons. When it is full, he can drink its essence to restore all of his ammunition stores to full!
Wings of Wrath:
The wings are back! Can only carry over a limited quantity between levels, but they allow you to fly for a while when used.
Anything more than a shot is worth saving, so these droughts of healing restore 50 health on YOUR terms.
Super Health Artifact:
Reincarnates Corvus at the beginning of the level the moment before his health snuffs out. Think of it like an "extra life," if you will.
Ever want to just run away yelling "nopenopenopenope?" just use this item and you'll be relocated to the entrance of the level, ready to run right back into that ambush you just got wrecked by.
Whether its to humiliate or subvert them, this egg launcher turns enemies into poor little bitty chickens. Don't try it on bosses though...
Makes you spooky. Enemies have a hard time seeing you, and when they do they're so bamboozled they can barely shoot straight. Also makes some projectiles go right through you!
Take the form of: IMMORTAL. For about 30 seconds.
A Defective Morph Ovum. Using it turns YOU into a chicken, albeit a baddass chicken lord who can convert enemies to be his minions!
Ye Olde Arcane grenade. Best hurled from outside its blast radius for obvious reasons.
This favorite from Hexen is back, but without the friendly damage! Use it without fear of suffocating yourself mid battle.
Putting the Time Bomb back in would make sense, but we were already 2 for 3! Has a small gravitational pull that pulls enemies in before detonating, making it slightly easier to use.
Improves your firing rate on most of your weapons, allowing you to chew through both enemies (and your ammo) much faster!
Fill ALL of your ammo, as well as your health and armor. Already full? In that case, it will drop one of every type of ammo, (each worth their maximum backpacked value,) and an Enchanted Shield!
Restore 3 Health/Armor each.
Provides a respectable amount of damage mitigation. These can be stored in your inventory as well, so feel free to pick up any extras you find! Can hold a maximum of 5 spares.
Provides even more defense than the silver shield, these aegis's can be kept for a rainy day, and automatically activate to save your skin in a pinch. Can hold a maximum of 5 spares.
Bundled together for maximum versatility. Collect stores for multiple weapons at the same time, while improving your arcane mastery! All ammo drops (including weapon drops) grant experience toward your next level and unlock more altfires. Excess ammo collected also grants a small charge for the HDKrater! Leave no stone unturned!
All Ammo types now improve in maximum capacity with each level up, rather than through the normal backpack system. The improvements to storage per level are as follows:
Crossbow Bolts: +5/Level
DragonClaw Orbs: +10/Level
HellStaff Runes: +10/Level
Phoenix Orbs: +15/Level
Mace Orbs: +10/Level
In addition to DOUBLING the charge capacity of your weapons, these rucksacks are usually stuffed with a few goodies to take for the road. Each backpack contains 3 bonus items, and there are a total of 9 variations of contents!
All magics are powered by Mana, which regenerates over time while no spell is currently in use. Most spells will require an activation cost, then will cost 1 mana per second to maintain their active effect (with the exception of the Tranquility spell.) Your max mana threshold will improve with your level, so more experienced magisters will find spellcasting a breeze.
Take 75% reduced damage at a cost of having only 20% movement speed (Costs 15 mana to activate)
This ratio can be modified in the options menu
Supercharge your weapons whenever you want! (Costs 25 Mana to activate)
Protect yourself from hazardous terrain... as well as your own explosives! Costs 10 Mana to activate)
Summon 4 friendly torches to illuminate the way! The torches will also act as a flame shield, burning any enemies who get too close! (Free to activate)
Freeze Time to either unleash a barrage of attacks on unsuspecting foes, or give yourself time to regroup and escape. (Costs nothing to activate, but drains Mana CONSIDERABLY faster while active!)
Keep in mind no two spells can be used at the same time, so activating a new spell will deactivate the previous one! thems the magical ropes
Spoiler:A few Protips:
As you collect items, you gain experience and eventually level up. Leveling up carries over some pretty nice bonuses:
- Your maximum Health increases by 5
- Your Maximum Mana increases by 5
- Your HDKrater will regain a slight charge
- Your physical attacks get stronger
- You can carry more ammo for each weapon
- Weapons reload faster, both passively and actively.
Spoiler:Heretical Doom Monsters Addon
- The gauntlets can be used to restore your mana, for the cost of some health.
- While you cannot cast multiple spells at the same time, you CAN use items while spell effects are active. Get creative!
- Casting the Power spell will revert Corvus to normal if he is currently in a chicken form
- The altfire for the Staff can be used to replenish Armor, but it will only use the type of armor you currently have equipped. Remember, different armor types offer different levels of protection!
- The gauntlets, when tomed, can be used to drain health from enemies at a rather substantial rate.
- The Gold Wand is incredibly accurate, and makes an excellent weapon for poking away at enemies from a distance.
- The two Ethereal Crossbow modes can be toggled at any time with reload, they do not require a specific level (unlike their altfires.)
- The Firemace Altfire does not immediately detonate when an enemy makes contact with it, but rather continues its gravitational field for a few seconds before detonating. This can be used to immobilize enemies quite easily.
- Shock Combos can be tricky to pull off, but can always be made easier with the Tranquility spell.
- The crossbow's "shards" have damage falloff, meaning they are strongest at close range! The single bolt altfire, however, is unaffected by falloff making it a good long range answer!
Heretical Doom is a revival/continuation of the Seidolon's Brutal Heretic RPG mod, with a scope of multiwad support. While the core mod focuses on bringing Corvus to other games like Doom and Heretic, Heretical Doom Monsters focuses on the armies of Dsparril following him as well (more deadly than ever!) The overall design philosophy of Heretical Doom Monsters is very similar to what it is with Heretical Doom... Fast paced, dynamic, arcane combat!!
Gargoyles – Much faster and vicious than they originally were, Gargoyles will now dash in to close the distance between you considerably more frequently. Much less wandering, much more bloodlust! They also attack much faster, but do slightly less damage per swing. Their biggest strength comes in their numbers, and its very easy to get swarmed by large groups of them.
The leader variants also inherit these changes, while being much more deadly with their fireballs. If you don't wish to play a first person bullet hell, its a good idea to take them out quickly!
Mummies – Mummies received a similar upgrade to gargoyles, gap closing and tenacity especially. They have a special Dash Punch that they can use every few seconds, so don't let your guard down! NitroGolems fade out of view while charging their attack, making them especially deadly in dark rooms. Like in Brutal Heretic, their projectiles also track faster and travel faster than their vanilla counterparts!
PainChance 48(Normal) / 128(Nitro)
Knights – Axe knights have gotten some pretty strong buffs to their axes, which are as follows:
Normal Axe(62% chance): Much faster than the other variants, this is the most standard, low damage version of the knight axe. You'll be seeing these a lot.
Red Axe(25% chance): More damaging than the normal variants, these blood red axes are fortunately slower and with less frequency.
Explosive Axe(13%chance): Occasionally the knight will toss an axe that flies in an arc and explodes on contact. The rarest and most damaging axe in their arsenal.
Wizards – Wizards are now considerably more dangerous, with increased movement speed, the ability to dodge projectiles, and cascade of EIGHT projectiles per volley. For all of their strengths, their core weakness remains: they cannot move while winding up their attack... thats the time to strike!
Saberclaws – Masters of stealth, Saberclaws now have the ability to vanish into thin air upon taking damage, masking its escape with a smoke cloud... then readjusting its positioning before going in for another strike! Their sneak attacks make them especially deadly, so don't stand still! In Brutal Doom RPG, Clinks were given the ability to “pounce” on the player with a leaping attack animation, which they have retained in this mod as well!
WereDragons – These big guys were improved in Brutal Heretic RPG to launch explosive fireballs which can chunk healthbars in seconds, causing them to be especially dangerous in small quarters!
Ophidian – Snakes now shoot more projectiles in their usual attack pattern and track their target between each shot. Their standard shots have a spiraling pattern, and the final shot is an explosive that accelerates while homing in on the target!
There are three types of ghost enemies, all of which are most notibly immune to morphing and physical attacks. They are:
Mummy Ghost - Similar to the nitro mummy variant, but much harder to see.
Knight Ghost - These knights have a much higher chance of using their more deadly red and explosive axes (all three axe types have about 33% chance!)
Fighter Ghost - No ranged attack, but these undead warriors have a sizable amount of health and are very quick, making their melee prowess something to be feared.
Iron Lich – As they were already pretty fearsome even in vanilla heretic, they are a bit faster, have more health, and have a revamped combo attack. Their ice shot inflicts a slow debuff, which reduces your movement speed by 35% for a few seconds with some pretty nasty frostbite. Their tornado spell no longer juggles you in place spinning you in every which direction, but instead deals direct damage and launches you (and anything else nearby) off into the distance (much less annoying, but can be much more deadly!) The fire shot is currently unchanged.
Minotaur – As deadly as ever, these huge servants of DSparril have a slew of explosive attacks to send wayward elves reeling. While their attack pattern may be similar to how it was originally, players will often find the results much more devastating than they may remember.
Serpent Rider - Either DSparril himself, or a magical construct created in his image. Overflowing with magical energy, they resurrect his minions while attempting to slay his enemies by pelting them with fireballs. The clones are not as powerful as the real thing, but they certainly can ruin any revenge-seeking elf's day.
Health 800 (Fake) / 2500 (Real)
Currently, when used in any version of Doom or Doom2, the placements for these enemies is as follows:
Lost Soul - Gargoyle
ZombieMan - Gargoyle, Mummy
ShotgunGuy - Fire Gargoyle, NirtoMummy randomspawner
Imp - Fire Gargoyle, NirtoMummy randomspawner
Demon - Saberclaw
ChaingunGuy - Knight
Fatso - Wendigo/LavaDemon randomspawner
Spectre - Knight Ghost, NitroMummy Ghost, or Fighter Ghost randomspawner
Cacodemon - Wizard
Pain Elemental - Iron Lich
Arachnotron - Ophidian
HellKnight - ArcherKnight
Baron of Hell - HellArcherKnight
Revenant - WereDragon
Archville – Serpent Rider (does not turn into DSparril on death!)
Cyberdemon - Minotaur
Spider Mastermind - DSparril
ArcherKnight/HellArcherKnight - A Realm 667 addition, these archers are modified to be quick and lethal, skewering our poor protagonist with arrows from afar. Occasionally fires critical arrows that do additional damage. The Hell variant has more health and fires critical arrows far more often, making them even more deadly!
Health 300 / 450
Speed 13 / 15
PainChance 128 / 100
Wendigo/LavaDemon - A Hexen monster and a Realm 667 version of itself walk into a bar..... anyway, The normal wendigo acts similarly to how it did in Hexen. Though it is a bit slower movement wise, its ice balls apply the same freezing effect as the ones from an Iron Lich, so you can find yourself slowed at quite lethal times. The Lava version trades utility for power, gaining bonus damage and health instead. The lava variant will also take some time to cool off, so direct contact with its decomposing corpse is not recommended. These two share a randomspawner, which is weighted in the Wendigo's favor.
Health 300 / 400
Speed 7 / 12
PainChance 144 / 100
- Blast away at enemies with magic, bright, mystic weapons! pew pew~
- Weapons gain Alt-Fire modes as you progress, many of which make them extremely powerful
- Be the glass cannon! Tons of damage and speed, but be mindful of your health!
- Should be fully compatible with all main IWADs as well as most map packs!
- Does not alter monsters at all: Should play nice with Monster Mods and custom maps!
- COME ON WHO DOESN'T LOVE THE TOME OF POWER
RECOMMENDED TO USE GZDOOM 4.4.x OR ABOVE FOR ALL FUNCTIONS TO WORK CORRECTLY
Simply load the mod after any map/music pk3s, but before any monster ones. Not compatible with other weapon mods for obvious reasons. DOES work with DamNums, so other similar mods should be ok