Rise Of The Wool Ball :3 (v1.3 + Soundtrack)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MSPaintR0cks

Rise Of The Wool Ball :3 (v1.3 + Soundtrack)

Post by MSPaintR0cks »

Hey there :D It`s been a while.
Shortly after I released the previous title Shadow Of The Wool Ball, I immediately started making plans for it`s sequel and set myself a deadline of one year.
Since then, I went all OCD and made sure to make a tiny bit of progress almost every day (my social activities did suffer a little, I am not gonna lie^^").
And some day last week... BAM! I was finally finished with it.

Time has passed since the events of the first game. Peace has returned to Scott and Rebecca`s home planet.
Just as spring has started to bloom there, both of them awake from their hibernation slumber and start doing what they do after every winter - running happily to the nearby woods, enjoying the beautiful nature and joining some sick moshpits at their favorite metal festival after that.
But this time, their routine gets interrupted by Scott... who mysteriously disappears on their way to the woods.
Rebecca immediately starts looking for him, and not much later she comes across the reasons of his disappearance... and some familiar faces too.
But those kind of faces she never hoped to see again. Furry, green eyed faces with stubby noses. With mouths emitting a stench of canned tuna. Eew.
Their stench is not the worst thing about them, though. It`s much more their deeply sinister intentions, which are far worse than last time...

• 3 all new episodes with 6 levels... in REALLY REAL 3D this time!!!
  • all kinds of cool new stuff!!!
  • 320x200 cartoon graphics that will make your Pentium 1 melt!!!
  • 265 colors!!!
  • awkward english by a non-native speaker, though not as bad this time!!!
  • a new soundtrack using the latest MIDI synthesizer, in the vein of Bobby Prince and games like Earthworm Jim and Jazz Jackrabbit!!! at least I tried so
  • horrible puns, they never get old!!!

v1.3
v1.2
v1.2 Standalone build
v1.1 Standalone build

As I said at the start of the post, this is the direct sequel to Shadow Of The Wool Ball. This time, I was going more for a Rise Of The Triad-y style, which I am a big fan of. However in the end, the gameplay kinda startet to turn into its own kind of beast. I tried to expand on everything that you guys and gals liked about the first game (thanks so much for all those comments by the way, I never felt so motivated to work on something :D), while removing things I found annoying in Rise Of The Triad.
Also, I tried to stay as closely to the original engine limitations of ROTT as possible... which means staying all blocky with 90° walls, only having one general floor/ceiling height etc. I pretty much want the player to feel as if they just discovered an obscure 90s game, with every aspect (graphics, sounds, level design) of it being shaped by the limitations of its time and pop culture.

McWaxMax for coming up with a few awesome design and gameplay ideas (won`t spoiler here), for doing voice acting, always being there with an inspiration for creative new stuff, writing an awesome midi for one of the levels and all around being the coolest buddy ever :D
Almonds for being super motivating and an awesome person to talk with during development... and for drawing me three beautiful looking decorative sprites :D
SanyaWaffles for helping me out with countless scripting issues. This game would have taken 10 years longer without your help :D
Captain J for drawing these awesome explosions for SOTWB and ROTWB... I love those :D
Last edited by MSPaintR0cks on Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:22 am, edited 27 times in total.
Batandy

Re: Rise Of The Wool Ball :3 (testing in progress)

Post by Batandy »

Looks fantastic :wub:
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Rise Of The Wool Ball :3 (testing in progress, PM if u w

Post by Jimmy »

fuck yesssssssssssssss
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Amazing! :wub:

Can we expect backpacks this time, though? I am replaying SotWB on Hard right now and I am surprised by how little ammo there is, especially later on.

Also, any chances of a Rocket Launcher weapon too? It is no fair that only enemies have them.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

I'd honestly love to see what your MP40 or Flamewall would look like in that MSPaint kinda style.
Lime

Post by Lime »

Another Chapter? YES!
MSPaintR0cks

Post by MSPaintR0cks »

Ooh, thanks :D
I really hope I can fulfill the seemingly higher expectations with this sequel... I am kinda nervous about it. But I also was that during the release of SOTWB.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Amazing! :wub:
Can we expect backpacks this time, though? I am replaying SotWB on Hard right now and I am surprised by how little ammo there is, especially later on.

Also, any chances of a Rocket Launcher weapon too? It is no fair that only enemies have them.
I think I got you covered this time. :3:
potetobloke
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by potetobloke »

Can we also get LUDICROUS GIBS ?
MSPaintR0cks

Post by MSPaintR0cks »

potetobloke wrote:Can we also get LUDICROUS GIBS ?
Not as much as in ROTT, but REALLY COOL EXPLOSIONS 8-)
Prologue-9

Post by Prologue-9 »

Sweet! Looking forward to this - loved the first one.
Nath0n

Post by Nath0n »

I will die happy if RotWB has the spinning effect whenever you enter a game.

(But, then again, I'll probably die happy knowing that it's actually coming out)
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

I'm gonna love this!
Beetow Brode
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Beetow Brode »

Man this looks kick ass
RichterBelmont12

Post by RichterBelmont12 »

Wow I figured your on to something here Looks greats I'm putting this on my Doom-December Watch list.
MSPaintR0cks

Post by MSPaintR0cks »

I am pretty certain that I will release version 1.1 of the game tomorrow. :3:
My testers did a great job at finding all kinds of little quirks and bugs (a few of them are not fully finished with it, but they are still doing an awesome job at finding stuff), and I feel a little more comfortable with releasing it. :D
Nath0n wrote:I will die happy if RotWB has the spinning effect whenever you enter a game.

(But, then again, I'll probably die happy knowing that it's actually coming out)
Oh noo, to be honest I disliked that spinning effect after a while. I died a lot in ROTT, and everytime I respawned, the screen went all spin-y. It was a little annoying after a while :D

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”