Auto-Update

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

QBasicer

Auto-Update

Post by QBasicer »

I think it'd be cool if ZDoom could check for updates if you were connected.

Of course, it would have to be an option in the config file too.

Oh, and a console command too (check-updates)
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

You realise that this feature comes shortly after cake mode in priority, right?
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

It's an idea that I put on the table. Maybe nobody has thought of it. It's kind of nice sometimes to have software update for you (Read: Windows Update). Of course it's low on the totem poll.

But this is a feature suggestion forum, right? Not a implement or I'll kill you forum.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

It's an idea that I put on the table. Maybe nobody has thought of it. It's kind of nice sometimes to have software update for you (Read: Windows Update). Of course it's low on the totem poll.
I don't think it'd be too hard, actaully. It could just just check http://zdoom.org/files/lars/ for a newer version. If the detected latest version is higher than the current when yous start up it alerts you, and if you say ok, it downloads and extracts over the existing install and says to restart the game. This might be a problem since Windows doesn't let you overwrite files when they're open, though.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

Not a problem. This is how my program works.

It checks my website for a file matching the version number:
/updateto/weatherwarn-win32-0.1.2.3.txt

If the file exisists, it downloads a NSIS silent installer, executes it, and closes itself. During this time, the NSIS installer has overwritten all the old files, and executes the new version.

It would take a little bit more work for ZDOom though, but I don't imagine too much.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

You guys really do want zsteam don't you?

:P

QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

What's ZSteam?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

OMG, this isn't true, isn't it?

Of all the ridiculous suggestions here this is probably the most harebrained of all. It's just an excuse for lazy people to save some very minor work.

PLus, I absolutely refuse to run any software that silently alters the contents of my HD with stuff it gets from the internet. Any software that likes to do that is blocked in my firewall and if ZDoom started nonsense like this I'd add it faster to that list than anyone can look. And I guess I am not alone.

Not to forget, that currently I have 5 different versions of ZDoom installed in different directories. There's a reason for that and I wouldn't want to see any of them upgrading itself or even bugging me that it wants to upgrade.

To the dumpster with this, please - as quickly as possible!
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

charris wrote:What's ZSteam?

What you suggested comes pretty close.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

If that's ZSteam, I want it.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

You lazy, lazy sod :P

Bah, I can't stand auto update. I can't stand programs that even know what the internet is. Unless they are called Firefox.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

@charris:

NO!
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

I wrote:If the detected latest version is higher than the current when yous start up it alerts you, and if you say ok, it downloads and extracts over the existing install and says to restart the game.
Surely that's not so bad? Could even be a cvar to say if you want alerts for new versions.
Last edited by Chris on Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Location: Denver, CO How do they get teflon to stick to the pan?

No ZSteam!

Post by Sticky »

Lol. Maybe we should get rid of zdoom.ini and save things to the registry, too. And it'd be nice if zdoom would install itself.

If a feature like this were to be implemented, it would have to be an external .exe. There could be a setting in zdoom.ini to have it call that exe on startup (or not!). Then that separate .exe could do what your program does and check the lars directory for a newer version, download it, run some .bat file that replaces the zdoom.wad and .exe, and the runs it. Then auto-updaters would be happy, everyone else could delete the other exe (and/or block it) and continue on their merry way.

@Graf Like you, I'm equally baffled by the growing number of autoupdaters. Perhaps it's the lack of TC (or other E replacement) that causes people to be so dependent on autoupdate? It blows my mind.
QBasicer

Post by QBasicer »

I guess if you are complaining about being lazy, why are you playing games then? You should be doing constructive things like working from 7AM to 10PM.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”