[Release] Waterlab GZD

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

[Release] Waterlab GZD

Post by Enjay »

Waterlab GZD (AKA Too Much Metal...like waaay too much).

A medium to large map for GZDoom 2.4.0* inspired by and partly based on Waterlab for Doom Legacy.

(*It's in ZDoomHexen format because I'm a luddite but it does use one or two newer features and was only properly tested with the 2.4.0 pre-release builds.)

Screenshots?
Spoiler:
Download link.
https://www.aspectsweb.co.uk/enjay/doom/njwlgzd.pk3
~29.5 MB

Background
Spoiler:
Theme
Spoiler:
Sprites/Enemies
Spoiler:
Sounds
Spoiler:
Music
Spoiler:
Credits
Spoiler:
idgames-like text file
Spoiler:
Secrets
Spoiler:

Anyway, that'll do.
Last edited by Enjay on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Orangewaggs

Re: [Release] Waterlab GZD

Post by Orangewaggs »

Nice to see a new release from you, always enjoyed your previous releases so I can't wait to see the is.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The famous Waterlab! One day, there might be a shader for that effect.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

And Enjay came back to activity.

I remember few bits of that ol' Waterlab (been ages away from Doom Legacy), but i downloaded it already, going to play it this week after finish my stuff for HM.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Wohoo, a new Enjay release, my evening is saved :-)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Gez wrote:The famous Waterlab! One day, there might be a shader for that effect.
[everyone in the room turns to look towards dpJudas...]

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've never played this WAD before and never got to try whatever Legacy version that supported this feature. If it were ever to be implemented into GZDoom, I wonder how would the effect be defined? Perhaps binding the shader to a texture in GLDEFs?

There is a fancy water shader in the Total Chaos mod, but it doesn't distort the pixels behind the texture. It just distorts the texture itself (which does look quite cool itself IMO)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Am having a bit of fun playing around with this one. Quality Enjay release - as per usual. :)
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

I'll play this one. Enjay equals quality :)
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

I'm not finished the level yet, killed all the monsters though. But, this map is amazing, fantastic and atmospheric. 15/17 secrets found and those easter eggs are priceless (no cheats involved btw). One thing involving the plasma gun zombies...when they die, they "shoot" a plasma projectile.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

This looks super good. Always wonderful when Enjay releases things.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Played it - loved it - archived it :)

Thanks kindly for the release Nigel, this is solid work and somehow reminded me of Kurt Kessler's early KZDoom releases in some terms, just better. The choice of custom monsters was very good and did feel right and not "just for the sake of having'em". What I really loved were the numerous eastereggs :) After you mentioned them, I wanted to look closely and was searching for them - guess I found them all but...
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for the kind comments. Much appreciated. I'm glad that people seem to be enjoying it. I actually meant to include a Doom Legacy Easter egg and completely forgot about it but I'm glad people are enjoying those too. :)

Regards your spoilered comment Torm...
Spoiler:
leodoom85 wrote:15/17 secrets
Although some are pretty obvious, that's really pretty good going with no cheats. I'd be interested to find out which ones gave you difficulty. I'm never that confident about setting up secrets so it'd be good to get feedback.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Enjay, about the secrets...Few of them was pure luck (could be 4 or 5). One of them, I had to do a rocket jump, probably not the way intended. And the rest was not that obvious but I knew that could be a secret, like a different texture or even the lighting texture used for that.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Definitely no rocket jumping (or jumping at all [edit] Actually, one requires a little jump[/edit]) required for the secrets.
Last edited by Enjay on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Enjay wrote:powerups
Erm what?! ... no need to wonder anymore why it felt hard to me :)

By the way, the inly gripe I actually have with the map is the usage of SHAWN/SILVER-alike textures here and there (e.g. at the beginning the water tanks). The whole map has this rusty and dirty design, so the clean shawn textures feel like a foreign matter. Maybe you would like to replace them with something else that fits better to the rest of the look?

Return to “Levels”