ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

randi
Site Admin

ZDoom is Dead. Long live ZDoom.

Post by randi »

I am hereby eschewing further ZDoom development. There will be no future releases. Consider QZDoom or GZDoom as replacements.

As for the zdoom.org site, eruanna has kindly accepted to take care of it so that the forum and wiki can continue to live on.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: ZDoom is Dead (but the site isn't)

Post by Rachael »

We are going to miss you, Randi! Don't be a stranger. :) I will take good care of your site, I promise. :)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

randi wrote:As for the zdoom.org site, eruanna has kindly accepted to take care of it so that the forum and wiki can continue to live on.
Best of luck in your future endeavors, Randi. I believe you've left the forum in good hands.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Randi, I can't thank you enough for all that you've done for ZDoom. Your work is quite legendary and I am glad to have been a part of it/using it to develop some amazing things.

I wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Oh my goodness Randi, that's quite a shock. I'm not really sure what to say. I can't say that I really know you but you and ZDoom have been something of a constant in my life for approaching 20 years now. Thank you very, very much for all the fun I've had with ZDoom and everything that it's taught me. You will indeed be missed and, yes, don't be a stranger. Good luck with whatever you are doing with your time instead. :)
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Consider yourself invited for some multiplayer when the player prediction code has been fixed. It'd be an honor. Godspeed, Randi. Take care of yourself, aight? ;)
printz

Post by printz »

So who will take over Doomscript (now called ZScript)? The QZDoom or the GZDoom team?
AlexMax
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 22H2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by AlexMax »

Thank you for the considerable amount of work you have put into ZDoom over the years.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

ZScript is now in the hands of Graf Zahl. Like how GZDoom was downstream for ZDoom, so too will QZDoom likewise be for GZDoom.

Graf said he may merge in QZDoom at some point - but that will not happen until the port stabilizes and most of the experimental things stop happening in the main branch. Nevertheless, GZDoom is now the official parent port for ZScript and related stuff.
HeX

Post by HeX »

Thank you for everything you have done randi. I firmly believe that Doom wouldn't be as alive and well as it is today without your impact.
Jroc

Post by Jroc »

ZDoom will always be a legendary and hugely important project in the history of doom. Thanks for all the work you & the other devs have done.
AlexMax
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 22H2

Post by AlexMax »

Eruanna wrote:ZScript is now in the hands of Graf Zahl. Like how GZDoom was downstream for ZDoom, so too will QZDoom likewise be for GZDoom.
What does this mean for the original ZDoom 256-color software renderer? Is it just going to go unmaintained? Is it going to be fixed up with some backported QZDoom improvements? Could it be replaced with a QZDoom renderer that has a 256-color rendering mode?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Right now dpJudas is tearing it apart and reconstructing it. Hopefully this means it will be easier to manage in the future.
However, if some other programmer is interested, I'd appreciate any new member in the team if they provide good work and are willing to discuss development issues.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Rest in peace ZDoom, thanks Randi for pushing Doom engine for all this 19 years until you found that is better leave your kids proceed alone.

Always remember, death is only a door. When it closes, another opens. QZDoom and GZDoom are here for this.
boris

Post by boris »

Thanks for a great port and all the hard work! I'm convinced that Doom wouldn't be what it is today without ZDoom.

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”