MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Post by Kinsie »

When Doom 3 came out, there were a number of attempts to recreate its gameplay within the boundaries of the Doom source ports of the time. Similarly, Doom 4 has been receiving similar recreation efforts, with varying levels of closeness to the original source material. Ultimately, looking at these efforts made me take a step back and think: why restrict yourself to mashing just two games together...?

MetaDoom is a gameplay mod that attempts to merge in elements from every Doom game ever made into something loosely resembling a cohesive mass, with Doom 2, 3 and 4 elements standing side-by-side and often merged together in new and interesting ways. And then the obscure stuff, like the mobile games and console ports, get thrown in... then the resulting mass of flesh and guns gets thrown into a blender for five minutes. Serve with a clove of garlic.

Features

The Greatest Hits: I'm attempting to implement every weapon from the extended Doom arsenal. I've probably forgotten a few, and a few probably won't be included because something else does pretty much the same thing... but I bet I'll be pretty close by the end. I also merged together different iterations of the common weapons together to create a unique and fascinating blend of these much-loved death-dealers. In addition, Doom 4's infamous "glory kill" system has been translated into an off-hand melee system, so you can punch monsters for supplies. Also, grenades and their numerous variants are present, using a shared ammo system.

Intelligent Weapon Randomization: While replacing every weapon spawn with a randomizer that spits out a hundred different shotgun variations is all fun and games, it can be a wee bit overwhelming when you're starting out. As such, weapon spawns will only introduce the weirder, more niche things once you already have that base weapon upon a map start. For example, if you have a shotgun when a map starts, there's a chance that Shotgun spawns will give you one of the deeper cuts instead.

Intelligent Monster Randomization: Again, many monster randomizers tend to get too carried away with having lots of variety to consider the possibility that maybe having a very good chance of the first Zombieman being replaced with a super-monster that floods the map with fart gas is a bad idea. (You know who you are...) As such, monster variety will slowly open up as you complete levels, allowing for a more gradual ramp-up in difficulty.

Also, all monster hitscans have been replaced with tracers. Because as Doom 4 so aptly put it, screw monster hitscans.

Fancy Visual Effects: All sorts of modern GZDoom trickery is implemented in a bid to create new and interesting visual effects without damaging that lovely Doom pixel-art aesthetic too harshly. Rolling sprites, flat sprites and so on all get their time in the sun.

The Codex: A fancy built-in menu developed by the awesome DrPySpy that provides info and lore on the enemies you fight, weapons you find and items you use in a manner more interesting and useful than a pile of bloated spoilers in a forum OP.

ULTRA-NIGHTMARE!: Because seeing how far you can get while Ironmanning is fun, no matter how much the engine developers are violently opposed to it.

Secrets and Easter Eggs: It wouldn't be a Kinsie mod without them.

Videos

Downloads

NOTE: This was designed for the latest Stable GZDoom. Software mode is not supported. The older OpenGL renderer is not supported. EDGE is not supported. Doom Legacy is not supported. Zandronum probably won't be supported until 2050. This may change in the future, but for now, assume it won't!

Image Image Image

Last edited by Kinsie on Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:40 am, edited 73 times in total.
rsl

Re: [WIP] MetaDoom - Thank You For The Demon (Coming Soon!)

Post by rsl »

Kinsie wrote:Intelligent Weapon Randomization: While replacing every weapon spawn with a randomizer that spits out a hundred different shotgun variations is all fun and games, it can be a wee bit overwhelming when you're starting out. As such, weapon spawns will only introduce the weirder, more niche things once you already have that base weapon upon a map start. For example, if you have a shotgun when a map starts, there's a chance that Shotgun spawns will give you one of the deeper cuts instead.

(...)

Intelligent Monster Randomization: Again, many monster randomizers tend to get too carried away with having lots of variety to consider the possibility that maybe having a very good chance of the first Zombieman being replaced with a super-monster that floods the map with fart gas is a bad idea. (You know who you are...) As such, monster variety will slowly open up as you complete levels, allowing for a more gradual ramp-up in difficulty.
Heh... I thought about this a while ago, too. Makes a lot of sense and caters also to lovers of the classic style gameplay, a very good philosophy IMHO... But how do you track, say, level number without resorting to ACS? :(
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

rsl wrote:But how do you track, say, level number without resorting to ACS? :(
By resorting to ACS. :wink:
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

this looks awesome!
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

I'm really liking the ideas I'm seeing here, but I especially enjoy the idea of the intelligent monster and weapon randomization! Best of luck on getting the Doom 2 RPG assets, as there could be a lot of great stuff in there.

Also, if you need any help with setting up mouse-controlled ACS menus, I can offer my assistance!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I would play that! Two questions, though:

1- Can we expect a widescreen version of the custom HUD bar?

2- Where is the BFG?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I would play that! Two questions, though:

1- Can we expect a widescreen version of the custom HUD bar?

2- Where is the BFG?
1.) Yeah, I just forgot to add the little side-panels for widescreen stuff before doing screenshots.

2.) I've planned it out, but I haven't coded it yet. I'll add it to the list once it's in the engine. :)
FaggoStorm

Post by FaggoStorm »

The weapons look really good!

Can't wait to play it :D
ijon

Post by ijon »

are you going to add caleb and strifeguy

/shitpost
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

ijon wrote:are you going to add caleb and strifeguy

/shitpost
If ever there were a use for that new cheatcode system I added...
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Gorec

Post by Gorec »

im really want to see it :)
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Kinsie wrote:(You know who you are...)
Don't blame me, Kins, blame the feature-creep. Oh, hang on, I forgot about that one ...

This looks ace so far - great to see the "all-inclusive" idea coming to fruition.
HannesH

Post by HannesH »

Sounds pretty good i think im gone Keep an eye on this mod
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Nems »

Holy shit this is awesome. <3

Return to “Gameplay Mods”