Led's Generic Weapon Mod (UPDATED! April 2 2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LedIris

Led's Generic Weapon Mod (UPDATED! April 2 2023)

Post by LedIris »

Video by tuin

Downloads!

Requires the latest GZDoom or LZDoom!

Led's Generic Weapon Mod Updated 2nd April, 2023

Addons! Load these alongside the mod for some new additions!

Voxels pack Replace item sprites with community-made voxels by Voxelbro & Dr_Cosmobyte
Bloody Chainsaw by Neccronixis
Weapons of Saturn Super Shotgun by Fireseth

What is this?

This is a simple gameplay mod consisting of new weapons and optional quality of life changes to vanilla items. All weapons have been overhauled and replaced with more satisfying and powerful counterparts whilst still retaining a strong balance in the game. Every weapon has its use!

I started off by combining code from mods like Faspons and Weapons of Saturn, as well as some code from Patriot1776, faslrn and wildweasel. I've hopefully made something enjoyable for everyone.

Features?
  • New weapons, with added punch, casings & smoke
  • Extensive options menu to customise many aspects of the mod
  • Reloading can be enabled/disabled on the fly!
  • Adjustable pickup flashes - picking up important items could actually feel good!
What's new?
Spoiler: Changelog
Credits wrote: Credits from WoS:
" SPRITES: Tormentor667, Mike12, perkristian, JoeyTD, CaptainJ, SgtMarkIV

CODE: wildweasel, Ed the Bat, Patriot1776, LedIris, faslrn

Resources have also been taken and modified from the following wads, mods and games:

Beautiful Doom by zer0
Brutal Doom by Sergeant_Mark_IV
Demon Eclipse by Eriance
Accessories to Murder by wildweasel and DoomNukem
Weasel Presents: NAZIS v2 by wildweasel
DOOMRL Arsenal by Yholl, SoloSpaghetti and Sgt. Shivers
Killing Floor by Tripwire Interactive
Return To Castle Wolfenstein by Gray Matter Interactive
Doom 3 by id Software"

Lippeth - Weapons of Saturn. Permission granted to use resources. (thank you, dude)
Faslrn - Feedback, testing and code. (with permissions. Big thanks to him for the testing and support of the mod :) )
Captain J - Sprites, testing & feedback (big thanks to J! :D )
Dr_Cosmobyte - Voxels, testing & feedback
Minigunner, David G, Perkristian - fist sprites
Voxelbro - Voxels
Magmacow - Dumpster fire vol I and II (under the stance "go ahead just give credit")
Raven Software - Soldier Of Fortune II, Heretic/Hexen (sound effects)
2015, Inc - Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (sound effects)
Valve - Half-Life 2 (sound effects)
If I've missed any credits please let me know.
Last edited by LedIris on Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 86 times in total.
LedIris

Re: [WIP] Another personal mod (Updated!)

Post by LedIris »

Updated! I've replaced the chaingun with an assault rifle, still need to try balancing it a bit. Right now, it has a high rate of fire & damage at close range, with a lot of horizontal recoil & not very good damage at long range. It has great accuracy if fired in single shots. I would like to try finding beefier sounds for it, but I think they're fine at the moment.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

LedIris wrote:Updated! I've replaced the chaingun with an assault rifle, still need to try balancing it a bit. Right now, it has a high rate of fire & damage at close range, with a lot of horizontal recoil & not very good damage at long range. It has great accuracy if fired in single shots. I would like to try finding beefier sounds for it, but I think they're fine at the moment.
What are your plans for the others weapons ATM?
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

faslrn wrote:
LedIris wrote:Updated! I've replaced the chaingun with an assault rifle, still need to try balancing it a bit. Right now, it has a high rate of fire & damage at close range, with a lot of horizontal recoil & not very good damage at long range. It has great accuracy if fired in single shots. I would like to try finding beefier sounds for it, but I think they're fine at the moment.
I still haven't quite thought that out. I was thinking of replacing them with WoS weapons, but made more satisfying and more fun to use, kind of like how you did with Faspons. Another idea is to replace them with smooth vanilla-like weapons. The way I'm making this is really unprofessional and sloppy, but I've been testing out different weapons and seeing how they fit with the aesthetics of the other weapons. I wanted to get the weapons that are already in at a stage where they are balanced, but fun to use, and fit for different purposes.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: [WIP] Another personal weapon mod (Updated!)

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Looks great so far! The individual shell system is marvelous! The sounds are great as well. Have you ever played Crossfire? Is a Counter Strike copy that has many cool weapons and sounds. I suggest you take a look. I have them, but not in a good quality.

Pickup flashes are a reliever! I wasn't used to them.

Loved the MOH sounds! And all the other ones actually.

I'm waiting for updates! Keep up the good work!
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

GAA1992 wrote:Looks great so far! The individual shell system is marvelous! The sounds are great as well. Have you ever played Crossfire? Is a Counter Strike copy that has many cool weapons and sounds. I suggest you take a look. I have them, but not in a good quality.

Hey! Glad you liked! The individual shell system still needs tweaking, and it was actually really easy to code :D I've played Crossfire before, some sounds in it are very cool. Pickup flashes are a cool, very subtle effect IMO, and I think looks quite nice. :)
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

LedIris wrote:
faslrn wrote:
I still haven't quite thought that out. I was thinking of replacing them with WoS weapons, but made more satisfying and more fun to use, kind of like how you did with Faspons. Another idea is to replace them with smooth vanilla-like weapons. The way I'm making this is really unprofessional and sloppy, but I've been testing out different weapons and seeing how they fit with the aesthetics of the other weapons. I wanted to get the weapons that are already in at a stage where they are balanced, but fun to use, and fit for different purposes.
Don't worry about the sloppiness :lol: Let me know what you think of for each other weapons, would love to see what will do with them ;-)
LedIris wrote:
GAA1992 wrote:Looks great so far! The individual shell system is marvelous! The sounds are great as well. Have you ever played Crossfire? Is a Counter Strike copy that has many cool weapons and sounds. I suggest you take a look. I have them, but not in a good quality.

Hey! Glad you liked! The individual shell system still needs tweaking, and it was actually really easy to code :D I've played Crossfire before, some sounds in it are very cool. Pickup flashes are a cool, very subtle effect IMO, and I think looks quite nice. :)
I had a thought about the new shell system: in Faspons, I have it where shotgun guys have the potential to drop a 4-pack of shells and I thought "what if shotgunners here died and spread 4 shells around that you could pick up?". I don't know if would look cool or play out but could be something to tinker with.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

faslrn wrote:Don't worry about the sloppiness :lol: Let me know what you think of for each other weapons, would love to see what will do with them ;-)

I had a thought about the new shell system: in Faspons, I have it where shotgun guys have the potential to drop a 4-pack of shells and I thought "what if shotgunners here died and spread 4 shells around that you could pick up?". I don't know if would look cool or play out but could be something to tinker with.
I actually did tinker with that. I made a test shotgunner that dropped the individual shells, and it actually worked pretty well! The shells dropped were randomized, so they all looked different every time, and it looked pretty cool. I don't know if I'll be implementing this in the mod or not, but it was a pretty cool looking effect. :) I think in the next update I'll replace the SSG, then move on to the Rocket Launcher. I've been testing offset animations to see how they look on WoS weapons, and they look real nice, so I'll be adding them in.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Updated! I've added the Rocket Launcher in, as well as pickup sounds for the Berserk, Shellbox, Ammobox, Rocket and Rocketbox. The Berserk also has a pickup flash now. I had to remove the offsets that were put on the Rocket Launcher's original reload as they would leave a pixel gap just below the weapon. :(
LedIris

Re: [WIP] Another personal weapon mod (Updated! 1 May)

Post by LedIris »

Updated! I've added the Super Shotgun in now. You can single fire it twice with primary fire, or you can fire both shots with a secondary fire. I've tried to make the animation look nice.
How is the balance on the weapons? I would like to know, so I can work on it a bit more.

Hotfix: Fixed the Super Shotgun being picked up with no ammo
LedIris

Re: [WIP] Another personal weapon mod (Hotfix v2 1 May)

Post by LedIris »

Important update: I fixed the Yellow Skull key (previously when picked up it gave a Blue Skull instead)
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

What i like most is the attention you give to fix errors as fast as you can to bring better material on.

I'll edit this post here soon with feedback!

EDIT: Well, i think it's a good idea to make separate ways. Mainly for compatibility reasons.

Everything fires, feels smooth, and norths the gameplay to a faster rhythm.

There's only one thing. The Rocket Launcher reload calls a sprite that spawns something weird. Just keep looking to the left upper part of the weapon to see what i mean.

Keep up the good work! Now we just need these cell weapons to disintegrate them! :)
Last edited by Dr_Cosmobyte on Sun May 01, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

What's different between this and your other gameplay mod? Seems like it'd be easier to merge them together.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

-Ghost- wrote:What's different between this and your other gameplay mod? Seems like it'd be easier to merge them together.
The other gameplay mod is a mess - it's code is all over the place, there's a lot of unused content taking up space and I felt like starting again with all of it. As well as this, the fact that it had it's own gore system probably turned off people who are fond of using Ketchup or Droplets. Not everybody likes tracers, either, as they make WADs that use switches activated by gunfire harder. (Fragport is an example) I'd like to make something that appeals to a bigger audience.

With this mod, I have tried to make the code a lot easier to read, as well as accomplishing the same tasks that my other gameplay mod did, only organized a lot better. This mod doesn't have tracers, custom monsters or gore - it's purely a weapon/item mod, so it's more compatible with HUDs, Ketchup and monster replacement mods, things like that.

I've also improved a bit with DECORATE since my other gameplay mod, and I've been attempting to make the weapons feel a bit more satisfying than in the other gameplay mod. (Like getting involved with offsets to make the weapons look much better when firing)
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

GAA1992 wrote:What i like most is the attention you give to fix errors as fast as you can to bring better material on.

I'll edit this post here soon with feedback!

EDIT: Well, i think it's a good idea to make separate ways. Mainly for compatibility reasons.

Everything fires, feels smooth, and norths the gameplay to a faster rhythm.

There's only one thing. The Rocket Launcher reload calls a sprite that spawns something weird. Just keep looking to the left upper part of the weapon to see what i mean.

Keep up the good work! Now we just need these cell weapons to disintegrate them! :)
Hey! Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I am trying to improve on vanilla gameplay a bit. :) The "something weird" is actually supposed to be an empty rocket magazine, kinda like how the Rifle also drops an empty magazine. It looks really strange, might have to try finding new sprites for it. :lol:
I have a decent idea for the cell weapons, still not sure on the Chainsaw yet though. :wink:

Also, your comment on what you like most made my day. :mrgreen:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”