(WIP) Doom Roguelike

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
simpletonnn

(WIP) Doom Roguelike

Post by simpletonnn »

Doom Roguelike is (going to be) a very large one-map-run with no
checkpoints or saving.

A story of any kind isnt planned at the moment, as this is
essentialy an experiment to see if an extreme roguelike doom mod
would be enjoyable at all.

To make this, I will need some help.

First of all, the mod should NOT have a save/load system. I will
need someone that can modify the game to remove the save/load
function to make the game really be a pure roguelike.

I will also need several testers, giving mapping advice and pointing
out general problems with functions such as teleporters, doors, etc.

(no screenshots at the moment, sorry)

Sincerely,
simpletonnn
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: (WIP) Doom Roguelike

Post by wildweasel »

Cutmanmike wrote:Got a cool project idea but nothing else? This forum is NOT for you! Put it in this thread instead!

1) Before posting a new topic here, be sure you actually have a project in progress or release. For example, posting a new thread called "Mario TC" with the post "Hey i'm making a mario tc, more info soon!" isn't good enough. Be sure you've got plans for your project. Think about things like main features, help you could possibly want, suggestions you'd like. Or go take a few screenshots. People like screenshots. Just make sure you have a base for what you're going to be working on or no one is going to take interest. (Your title screen really doesn't count.)

2) Just to clarify from the above rule: you need to post something from your project! If a project thread is posted without screenshots, we'll give you 24 hours to get them added, or else your project thread is going to get locked. Not everybody wants to download a large-ish WAD file and puzzle over what exactly is changed, so it helps to show people what it looks like without making them read a wall of text or download a file and be surprised. If the mod has already been released in the thread's first post, screenshots are merely suggested, not required. We can be more lenient for mods where a screenshot does not convey what the mod actually does, i.e. for music and sound patches or mutators.

[...]

5) Remember, this is about YOUR project. Don't beg the community for help if you're just going to sit there and order people around. That's not how a project is built. Discuss your ideas before starting a project and asking for help. If people don't like your project idea they're probably not going to help you out, so it's best to find out first. Remember, people have their own opinions.
Also, the ability to disable the save/load system has been suggested numerous times and flat-out denied by the developers every single time.
simpletonnn

Post by simpletonnn »

wildweasel wrote:
Cutmanmike wrote:-snip-
Also, the ability to disable the save/load system has been suggested numerous times and flat-out denied by the developers every single time.
The thing is, though, I (would) be making the map; thus not EVERYTHING is done by others.

As for save/load, I can understand if people are not willing to work that feature.
The unfortunate thing is, the player would still be able to essentially cheat their way through the map by saving through the map as they play.
But, in all honesty, I don't think most doom players would feel an actual need to do so.

The idea for this mod was concieved all for fun, and nothing much else.
I don't know if it will really even be completed, but, it wouldn't hurt to try, would it?

:EDIT: for now, i think i will have this thread locked/deleted this thread and post it again when i do have material to show, and work that is actually being done.
sorry.
Last edited by simpletonnn on Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

simpletonnn wrote:The thing is, though, I (would) be making the map; thus not EVERYTHING is done by others.
Well, that's as may be, but we've seen an awful lot of project threads that start off as "Hey, I'm working on this but I need some help," but have no screenshots or anything that would really draw people to help out. If I might quote an often-used passage from Doomworld's forums, "Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done."
simpletonnn

Post by simpletonnn »

wildweasel wrote:
simpletonnn wrote:The thing is, though, I (would) be making the map; thus not EVERYTHING is done by others.
Well, that's as may be, but we've seen an awful lot of project threads that start off as "Hey, I'm working on this but I need some help," but have no screenshots or anything that would really draw people to help out. If I might quote an often-used passage from Doomworld's forums, "Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done."
Yeah... sorry for this "inconvenience," i think we should push this aside for now, if that is okay.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

simpletonnn wrote:Yeah... sorry for this "inconvenience," i think we should push this aside for now, if that is okay.
I'm sorry for taking the hard-line approach. Whenever you've got something to show, feel free to start another thread, or you can message one of us moderators to get your thread opened again.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”