Why does Arial look better than Helvetica at low point sizes

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Why does Arial look better than Helvetica at low point sizes

Post by Woolie Wool »

At small sizes on desktop displays, Arial looks much better and more readable than Helvetica despite being a blatant Helvetica clone that looks slightly worse in print and on "retina" type displays like modern smartphones and the whiz-bang 5K desktop screens that cost more than I can afford. An example from the documentation for a Wing Commander-themed FreeSpace mod. The top paragraph is set in the original 12-point Arial, the bottom in Helvetica Neue:

Helvetica looks really awful at this size on my 1920x1200, ~94 ppi display.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Why does Arial look better than Helvetica at low point s

Post by leileilol »

Some hinting probably died in the Hewlett-Packard TTF version of the font (see bottom).
helvet-win.png
helvet-win.png (315 Bytes) Viewed 975 times
I don't rememeber Helvetica this looking bad on System 7-9.
arialhelvet-mac.png
arialhelvet-mac.png (309 Bytes) Viewed 976 times
(DISCLAIMER: had to adjust some point sizes to get the different font versions to be consistently sized with the mac capture as much as I can as there are disreprancies between Windows and Mac font rendering subsystems)
Last edited by leileilol on Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

Your attachment doesn't appear to work.

There it goes.

The Helvetica Neue TTF I have is also not dimensionally 100% compatible with Arial (it expands the document from 57 pages to 58), which seems to indicate that something is wrong with it considering Arial's original purpose (to display documents set in Helvetica perfectly without paying license fees).

E: The ragged, semi-bold look of the Helvetica TTF at this size also matches up with the Wikipedia article on hinting showing no hinting vs. correct hinting.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Yeah it's weird that I can't get the point sizes to match the Mac. Also the kerning difference is crazy
Spoiler: redundant imagery
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

For some reason, Windows has never seemed to do a good job of rendering Helvetica as a screen font. Even when converted directly from the font files included with OSX (where it renders fine), it looks a bit weird and lumpy.
kodi

Post by kodi »

What layout software are you using, and what program are you displaying your document with?
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

kodi wrote:What layout software are you using, and what program are you displaying your document with?
OpenOffice.org
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Might I suggest switching to the LibreOffice fork? It may not solve your font hinting issues, but OpenOffice is woefully out of date. LibreOffice is where all the action is happening these days.

8-)
kodi

Post by kodi »

Huh, I get the same problems even in indesign. It'd be really interesting knowing the technical reason for this.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Different systems, different rendering engines.

As far as I know, (not 100% positive on this) the Windows NT Kernel handles font rendering, itself, directly. If not, the job would probably go to the display driver anyhow. I don't know how Mac does it, but it's probably buried in their GUI code somewhere.

Either way - different systems. Each font is vector, and the Mac system probably has something in place that handles Helvetica to prevent it from looking sloppy at lower point sizes. Windows system, itself, has a few hacks to make Cleartype render correctly for certain fonts - which makes it look weird when scaled down too much.

Linux would have its own unique way of rendering each font, as well, and while it may be closer to either Mac or Windows, it still is open source software and it is dependent on its own vector rasterizing to make it happen. This is why when using Wine on Linux, even when using the proper fonts, things still look a bit off.
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

So basically you're saying that Windows' rendering engine is probably specially built to handle Arial as perfectly as possible because it's one of the Windows core fonts?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Woolie Wool wrote:So basically you're saying that Windows' rendering engine is probably specially built to handle Arial as perfectly as possible because it's one of the Windows core fonts?
More than likely. If you try loading the Windows core fonts on anything but Windows, they tend to look kind of weird in places, especially Segoe UI, if I remember correctly.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Woolie Wool wrote:So basically you're saying that Windows' rendering engine is probably specially built to handle Arial as perfectly as possible because it's one of the Windows core fonts?
Pretty much. Plus, what Wildweasel said.
kodi

Post by kodi »

I wonder why [Intended for: XYZ OS/rendering engine] information is rarely supplied with fonts then, because that's kind of extremely important to know for a designer.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Mostly because rendering engines are built around those fonts, not the other way around. At least, the older ones (such as Aerial/Helvetica) anyway.

Return to “Off-Topic”