weird/cool experiences

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
|ndußtrial
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

weird/cool experiences

Post by |ndußtrial »

had any unusual or interesting experiences? they don't have to be paranormal, and they don't have to be creepy; if you accidentally biked off a bridge and across a bus before making it to safety, this is the place to record it, from the location to what kind of grass you landed on! maybe you saw aliens on lsd and went out the next day, found the landing site, and noticed that the ground where their ship's outriggers had touched the ground was flat and singed; maybe you were at a "haunted" hospital and you and another group of adventurers ended up hiding from each other.

once, in ukraine, i was at my grandparents' soviet apartment; old, smelly (you eventually learn to like the smell,) and old; i was probably nine or ten. so i'd sleep there pretty often, if not every night, and one night, i was awake forever, and then this laughing came out of the stairway outside; loud as hell, and completely insane. i remember rationalizing what it could be and eventually deciding that it would be safer to be under the covers than perspiring out there; i was between my grandparents but terrified regardless, and as i hid there, i suddenly felt stuff touching me through the blankets, and felt the bed (which was two beds) being moved apart.

everyone says it was a dream and it totally does sound like one; what's happened to you?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: weird/cool experiences

Post by wildweasel »

There hasn't been a K-Mart store in my area for a really long time; there used to be one right on the edge of town, but near the end of the 90s, that space turned into a bunch of things, from a thrift store to eventually (and more permanently) an independent grocery store.

Some time ago (might have only been three years), though, I found another K-Mart just a couple towns over, and decided that I had enough free time to walk in and explore a bit. This K-Mart, for some reason, did not appear to have changed at all since the 1990s. The music on the speakers was probably right off the "Greatest Hits of the 80s," the merchandise was brands I hadn't seen in a while, and I'm pretty sure there were still ads on the aisle endcaps featuring the likeness of Rosie O'Donnell, who to my knowledge hasn't been a spokesperson for their label for almost 20 years.

Making things all the more surreal, though, is the fact that, in the 20 or so minutes I spent in the store, I never found a single person. Electronics was devoid of people (only a stack of Rock Band 2 kits served to remind me where and when I was), Housewares pretty much consisted of a bed and some bath towels, and even the check stands seemed to lack any sort of people. The public address system in the store kept chiming in every couple of minutes, as some teenage girl kept reading information about today's specials and sounding magnificently tired of her job.

I didn't wind up buying anything while I was there. I just walked right out and wondered how I could be nostalgic for something that I didn't really even remember.
|ndußtrial

Post by |ndußtrial »

wildweasel wrote:There hasn't been a K-Mart store in my area for a really long time; there used to be one right on the edge of town, but near the end of the 90s, that space turned into a bunch of things, from a thrift store to eventually (and more permanently) an independent grocery store.

Some time ago (might have only been three years), though, I found another K-Mart just a couple towns over, and decided that I had enough free time to walk in and explore a bit. This K-Mart, for some reason, did not appear to have changed at all since the 1990s. The music on the speakers was probably right off the "Greatest Hits of the 80s," the merchandise was brands I hadn't seen in a while, and I'm pretty sure there were still ads on the aisle endcaps featuring the likeness of Rosie O'Donnell, who to my knowledge hasn't been a spokesperson for their label for almost 20 years.

Making things all the more surreal, though, is the fact that, in the 20 or so minutes I spent in the store, I never found a single person. Electronics was devoid of people (only a stack of Rock Band 2 kits served to remind me where and when I was), Housewares pretty much consisted of a bed and some bath towels, and even the check stands seemed to lack any sort of people. The public address system in the store kept chiming in every couple of minutes, as some teenage girl kept reading information about today's specials and sounding magnificently tired of her job.

I didn't wind up buying anything while I was there. I just walked right out and wondered how I could be nostalgic for something that I didn't really even remember.
that reminds me how i'd sometimes walk through overgrown places, and see green hills around me and, when something reminded me i'm in california, it would be like a real jolt, like something hit me in the head, but without the pain
it's like i'm not expecting to be in california
ShadowTiger

Post by ShadowTiger »

This is really kind of dumb, but it was the biggest, most unlikely synchronicity I've had for a while. In one of my jobs, we use numerical job numbers to collect all of a person's job information under one number. This one person had job number 4848, a wonderfully repeating number, as their Hard Drive salvage job. Half a year later, she came back to revive a dead laptop. Her job number is 5252. Another repeating number. I am slightly awe-struck at the coincidence.
|ndußtrial

Post by |ndußtrial »

ShadowTiger wrote:This is really kind of dumb, but it was the biggest, most unlikely synchronicity I've had for a while. In one of my jobs, we use numerical job numbers to collect all of a person's job information under one number. This one person had job number 4848, a wonderfully repeating number, as their Hard Drive salvage job. Half a year later, she came back to revive a dead laptop. Her job number is 5252. Another repeating number. I am slightly awe-struck at the coincidence.
something digs at me about how those numbers add up
kodi

Post by kodi »

Once when I was a kid, I was playing Quake 2 when suddenly the game seemingly started.. talking to me in Swedish. Freaked me the heck out at first, but I soon realized it was actually a regular radio broadcast of a man reading some kind of story. I guess the web browser was running and there was a flash player or something that suddenly kicked in mid-game.
cambertian
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cambertian »

Smelling a green apple candle and being reminded of the taste of green apple candy. Like, as in the smell and the taste were the exact same sensation, just in a different region. Weird.

Also relevant: I like to listen to a lot of obscure-ish game soundtracks, so finding a remix of a song in another, perhaps unrelated game feels strange to me. Like the time I found out that "Happy Happy" from Technic Beat (a rhythm game) is actually a remix from a Tetris game:

Unfortunately, I can't post the Technic Beat version, as the Youtube gremlins take it down any chance they can.
|ndußtrial

Post by |ndußtrial »

kodi wrote:Once when I was a kid, I was playing Quake 2 when suddenly the game seemingly started.. talking to me in Swedish. Freaked me the heck out at first, but I soon realized it was actually a regular radio broadcast of a man reading some kind of story. I guess the web browser was running and there was a flash player or something that suddenly kicked in mid-game.
this one actually reminds me of something a bit... dark

once i was at home, at my desk-thing (it's a desk, all right, one which i pulled off the street...)
the tv's behind me somewhere
suddenly i hear this laugh from inside this house
i check the tv slowly
not that
i start noticing whispering
by this point i've gotten a little annoyed
but it's not coming off my laptop, the volume shows no indication of any noise
so i go upstairs, going to ask my mom about it... and apparently her schizophrenia started to act up really badly
was... fifteen i think
|ndußtrial

Post by |ndußtrial »

cambertian wrote:Smelling a green apple candle and being reminded of the taste of green apple candy. Like, as in the smell and the taste were the exact same sensation, just in a different region. Weird.
i used to get that; for me, with the taste of cherry pie filling, and the smell of the blood in your nose and throat when you've been out in the cold too long
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

When I was in Murrica last year, and tasted the red/blue Mountain Dew. Damn it was equivalent for twenty orgasms!!!
Yeh, ok, only 10...
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

When I was younger, I was going through a weird fear of Hell related stuff. One night, I was laying down on my side trying to sleep, when I felt a pressure behind my back, like if someone was leaning their body on an hand ontop of the mattress right behind me. I thought it was the devil himself. I never in my life felt so much fear in that moment. When I turned around to turn on the light quickly, I noticed a kitten that came into the house and leapt on my bed from a small window in my bedroom. I just stared blankly at it for a whole minute in disbelief and turned off the light. The kitten slept on my bed and left the house in the morning. Never saw it again.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Post by YukiHerz »

But what if the kitty was actually satan, and you not knowing what he looks like, your mind just made you see something not spooky?
*Sanic files theme*

About a year ago i was in school, like usual, we had pretty long "doing nothing" periods in Merchandising class because we had completely finished with it weeks, when two other teachers entered the classroom, one of them clearly agitated, she said she "felt" an "angry ghost" walk behind her in the teachers' lounge ( one which is explicitly for Management teachers, so the two teachers were alone) and bumped some furniture, naturally we'd think it was just a coincidence when the classroom's door is slammed shut, so as stereotypical and sexist it may sound, i went ahead and checked outside alone "because you're the only man here", there was nothing, to this day nobody knows what it was, but minor weird stuff kept happening as the final weeks of school passed.

This sector of the school is in a separate building, used only for Management and Electricity students, we Managers had the top floor while Electricians had the 1st, they also mentioned some weird stuff happening, but i guess it was never anything memorable, as just now seeing this thread i remembered it in some detail.
|ndußtrial

Post by |ndußtrial »

Ribo Zurai wrote:When I was younger, I was going through a weird fear of Hell related stuff. One night, I was laying down on my side trying to sleep, when I felt a pressure behind my back, like if someone was leaning their body on an hand ontop of the mattress right behind me. I thought it was the devil himself. I never in my life felt so much fear in that moment. When I turned around to turn on the light quickly, I noticed a kitten that came into the house and leapt on my bed from a small window in my bedroom. I just stared blankly at it for a whole minute in disbelief and turned off the light. The kitten slept on my bed and left the house in the morning. Never saw it again.
i guess the devil has a sense of humor
HazeBandicoot wrote:really big post
what did she mean by angry? or rather, what told her that it was an angry ghost?
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Once as a kid, we stopped at a gas station coming home from the beach. A large van pulled up beside our car, and the driver asked what time it was. Sometime later, maybe a year or more, at the SAME gas station pulled up the SAME van and driver and we were asked for the time. My sister was with us on both occasions, so it's not just me who remembers this.

Also, I've had a couple of mini/pseudo enlightenment experiences, once in my teens while listening to music, and once while riding home on a bicycle during college. The first time, I felt like all the answers to all of my metaphysical questions were coming to me. I was filled with the greatest joy I had ever experienced in my life!! Unfortunately, as soon as my mind tried to grasp the answers, they abruptly fled. Damn. For the college time, I was studying Buddhism, including meditation, as part of my major. While passing by a tree with a buzzing insect, I felt for the first time that "in the now" thing you hear about, where your mind just takes it all in without assigning labels or making judgements, or really doing much frontal lobe stuff at all. Very enlightening, so to speak.
|ndußtrial

Post by |ndußtrial »

Naniyue wrote:Once as a kid, we stopped at a gas station coming home from the beach. A large van pulled up beside our car, and the driver asked what time it was. Sometime later, maybe a year or more, at the SAME gas station pulled up the SAME van and driver and we were asked for the time. My sister was with us on both occasions, so it's not just me who remembers this.

Also, I've had a couple of mini/pseudo enlightenment experiences, once in my teens while listening to music, and once while riding home on a bicycle during college. The first time, I felt like all the answers to all of my metaphysical questions were coming to me. I was filled with the greatest joy I had ever experienced in my life!! Unfortunately, as soon as my mind tried to grasp the answers, they abruptly fled. Damn. For the college time, I was studying Buddhism, including meditation, as part of my major. While passing by a tree with a buzzing insect, I felt for the first time that "in the now" thing you hear about, where your mind just takes it all in without assigning labels or making judgements, or really doing much frontal lobe stuff at all. Very enlightening, so to speak.
similar to this, but i did a kundalini awakening once, and... i'm pretty sure i felt something preeeetty nice

Return to “Off-Topic”