Copyright Infingement - The Game

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Clownman

Copyright Infingement - The Game

Post by Clownman »

A little interesting thing I found out about a few months ago that I somewhat wanted to share. This is a Chinese Mario Galaxy knockoff that was released sometime in about 2008 for the PC called "Duludubi Star", Featuring the mascot of the Chinese amusement park brand known as Fantawild apparently. I first found out about this game by looking up this stream from popular Livestreaming channel, Vinesauce.

Notice anything? Count all the stolen assets here, You have the Jeopardy Theme, Planets and Textures that look like they were ripped straight from Mario Galaxy using Dolphin, and Klonoa's voice.

What the hell was going on at the time?

There is a preserved download link I found somewhere but I won't link it unless I get an OK from the moderators. Now ripping off something isn't nesissarly bad, I mean look how the Giana Sisters started off: But ripping assets this blatantly...? :?

Is this Grezzo 2 or Doom Anthology all over again?

It's worth noting Fantawild and Duludubi are surprisingly still around, of course just in the Theme Park business as they mostly have been.
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Re: Copyright Infingement - The Game

Post by PlayerLin »

He should use Chinese, not Japanese since it's ****ing Simp. Chinese game from Mainland China, seriously. :p
(And what's he got those in-game messages and texts were glitched since totally wrong encoding. *sigh*)

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Tony+P ... 3243.phtml

No, I won't surprised... because this just not the only one...
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

Holy mother of sardines... Stealing stuff from elsewhere without permission. God, it's Grezzo 2 all over again..
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

From Tencent, the owners of LoL developer Riot Games. No, really. They've also made a DoTA clone, because that totally makes sense when you're the owner of LoL.
Last edited by amv2k9 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

It's like they're asking for a copyright lawsuit.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Problem cases like this is why Noesis has the (very very often violated) long usage terms clause in the readme file. You know, the very bread and butter that makes certain "free model's" websites possible. Because one thing totally can't lead to another. Personal fair use noo mooney is made am i rite!??

There's also a lot of things to say about open source games and "sound engineers" too. Of any contributor they make up the craziest batshit explanation and defense of stolen work in the face of evidence in my experience. It's not just sound though, i've seen someone try to pass off deus ex models as original work under the gpl
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

The developers could be sued by Nintendo and Namco, and possibly the makers of Jeopardy.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

I don't think they have copyright laws in China, do they? I do know the link that originally held the game was taken down, besides that preserved DL that somebody uploaded.
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

Clownman wrote:I don't think they have copyright laws in China, do they?
uh...
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

leileilol wrote:There's also a lot of things to say about open source games and "sound engineers" too. Of any contributor they make up the craziest batshit explanation and defense of stolen work in the face of evidence in my experience.
I would be interested in learning more about this, considering I really want to learn more about sound engineering and I tend to use a lot of work from Freesound and Sound Ideas.

Return to “Off-Topic”