GameCube or original Xbox?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
gabrieloup

GameCube or original Xbox?

Post by gabrieloup »

Seriously though. I'm planning to get one, for the exclusives alone. But I heard there's a LOT of complaints that the original Xbox fucks up a lot, including HDD errors and disc drive problems, while the Gamecube is praised like the second coming of jesus and that it can survive the crush of a tank, and sometimes it's the complete reverse. Some people say that they have their original Xbox since 15 years (maybe they have it untouched?) and some say the Gamecube has crap toy quality and shit, but that's usual for Anti-Nintendo fantards. I'm kinda leaning towards the Gamecube at this point, but I wonder if people are actually exaggerating with those points. Is the original Xbox REALLY that vulnerable, and the Gamecube REALLY that durable? I wouldn't be surprised if the original Xbox turns out to be a crappy system in terms of durability, considering the original Xbox 360 models were crap. I'm actually asking this because I know people in this forum are actually quite smart (and not a bunch of fantards that you'd see in a forum like GameFAQ (more like GameFAG) and IGN.

TL;DR : Which consoles is more DURABLE?

Oh and don't come with the "JUST BUY A PC" joke. I... already... have... one. But I really, really don't care about emulating. If I wanted to emulate anything, I would just... you know... do that. I prefer getting the original stuff and play everything like it's actually meant to be, not to mention that I'm getting a shinny console with 4 player support.
XanderK9
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: GameCube or original Xbox?

Post by XanderK9 »

I've owned both consoles for years (well, I actually own most consoles, but I digress) and the only issue I had with the original Xbox is the DVD-Rom drive's tray being stuck sometimes.

However, it's hard to determine which one will be more durable if you are planning to buy one these days because you won't get it now and you won't know what those consoles went trough with its previous owners. How many times the DVD-Rom drive have been used? How many power surges/misuses it went through? How many times it has been dropped (I wouldn't be surprised the HDD error issues were because of this)? The list goes on.

Also, speaking of durability between generations, that's likely irrelevant because they are built differently and new formula may suck. To my knowledge, the main problem with the original Xbox 360 was because of the chipset's soldering breaking up over time, but that was a design problem present with other manufacturers around that time. As to mention a few examples, the first few versions of the PS3 had that problem and each time someone's bringing me an HP laptop of the DVx000 series because it doesn't post, it was because of the same problem. What they had in common was the way they install the chip on the motherboard.

Anyway, the first thing to know is which consoles have the games you are interested to play with. Then you're pretty much set.
enderkevin13

Post by enderkevin13 »

I've never really enjoyed the original Xbox, but the GameCube is the shit. I could play that for days, maybe even weeks. XD
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I've never had a single major issue with my original Xbox and I've had one since release. Xbox seems plenty durable to me.

I've had a GameCube also but... it's from Nintendo. Not a lot of games I liked for the GameCube. Original Xbox had Doom 3 and the original games as well, but no Final Doom. Original Xbox also has Painkiller: Hell Wars (hard to find a copy of this though) and BLACK. I've always been more of an Xbox/Microsoft person so I'd go with Xbox.

In all honesty I'd say an Xbox is worth it over GameCube just for the game BLACK.

As you can tell I love the game BLACK.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The GameCube is certainly a far more durable console, and its exclusives are a lot higher quality, but the problem is that there are fewer of them, and they are much more expensive on the secondary market (seriously, just try finding Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for less than the price of a brand new Steam game). If it's third-party games you're after, the GameCube is a bit on the weak side, since most of the bigger third-parties were more concerned with supporting Sony and Microsoft for some reason, but the GameCube does still have some hidden gems like the Baten Kaitos games, P.N.03, Super Monkey Ball, Phantasy Star Online I&II (you don't need to play it online, btw), and the clever-but-underdeveloped Geist.

The Xbox does have its fair share of killer exclusives or games that just plain aren't available on PC (and quite a number of those don't have GameCube ports, either), especially if you're after FPS and racing games, because the Xbox gives you the likes of DarkWatch, Halo, and the criminally (haha) underrated Urban Chaos: Riot Response, and on the racing front, Forza Motorsport, Burnout Revenge, Midtown Madness 3, and the Project Gotham games. The Xbox also has a number of Sega games that, thus far, have never been ported elsewhere, such as Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, GunValkyrie, Shenmue II, and OutRun 2.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

My brother tried booting my Xbox after several moves between states and eight years of no power. Hard drive error. Well shit. Going to have to get a new hard drive and install it properly to get it back to operational speed.

Besides. Eternal Darkness isn't on the Xbox.
gabrieloup

Post by gabrieloup »

XanderK9 wrote:I've owned both consoles for years (well, I actually own most consoles, but I digress) and the only issue I had with the original Xbox is the DVD-Rom drive's tray being stuck sometimes.

However, it's hard to determine which one will be more durable if you are planning to buy one these days because you won't get it now and you won't know what those consoles went trough with its previous owners. How many times the DVD-Rom drive have been used? How many power surges/misuses it went through? How many times it has been dropped (I wouldn't be surprised the HDD error issues were because of this)? The list goes on.

Also, speaking of durability between generations, that's likely irrelevant because they are built differently and new formula may suck. To my knowledge, the main problem with the original Xbox 360 was because of the chipset's soldering breaking up over time, but that was a design problem present with other manufacturers around that time. As to mention a few examples, the first few versions of the PS3 had that problem and each time someone's bringing me an HP laptop of the DVx000 series because it doesn't post, it was because of the same problem. What they had in common was the way they install the chip on the motherboard.

Anyway, the first thing to know is which consoles have the games you are interested to play with. Then you're pretty much set.
The funny part, is that in Brazil, the GameCube is EXTREMELY cheap, even SEALED GameCubes and games are even cheaper than in the US. Nobody wants to buy it! People here are more interested on the PS2, and SOMETIMES the original Xbox, which in turn, makes the original Xbox and it's games to be extremely hard to find, and more expensive. If we're playing on the safe side, I think I'll bet on the GameCube instead. Both consoles have lots of interesting exclusives, and some third party versions even work better in specific platforms (such as Splinter Cell being better on Xbox, and Prince of Persia being better on the GameCube). Besides, I'm willing to get a GameCube JUST to get Metroid Prime. If I were to get an original Xbox, I'd get MechAssault, Full Spectrum Warrior, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Forza 1. Even Halo 2 doesn't really interest me, considering I played all other Halo games a million times. Never played Halo 2, but... Man, the gameplay just bores me after a while. Otherwise, PC-to-console ports like Doom 3, Half-Life 2 and Thief Deadly Shadows hold little to no interest for me since I completed all these games already.
Nevander wrote:I've never had a single major issue with my original Xbox and I've had one since release. Xbox seems plenty durable to me.

I've had a GameCube also but... it's from Nintendo. Not a lot of games I liked for the GameCube. Original Xbox had Doom 3 and the original games as well, but no Final Doom. Original Xbox also has Painkiller: Hell Wars (hard to find a copy of this though) and BLACK. I've always been more of an Xbox/Microsoft person so I'd go with Xbox.

In all honesty I'd say an Xbox is worth it over GameCube just for the game BLACK.

As you can tell I love the game BLACK.
I forgot to mention I already have a PS2, and I have BLACK (and an original version, not backup or something). Awesome game, but it's pretty boring after the novelty wears out.
wildweasel wrote:The GameCube is certainly a far more durable console, and its exclusives are a lot higher quality, but the problem is that there are fewer of them, and they are much more expensive on the secondary market (seriously, just try finding Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for less than the price of a brand new Steam game). If it's third-party games you're after, the GameCube is a bit on the weak side, since most of the bigger third-parties were more concerned with supporting Sony and Microsoft for some reason, but the GameCube does still have some hidden gems like the Baten Kaitos games, P.N.03, Super Monkey Ball, Phantasy Star Online I&II (you don't need to play it online, btw), and the clever-but-underdeveloped Geist.

The Xbox does have its fair share of killer exclusives or games that just plain aren't available on PC (and quite a number of those don't have GameCube ports, either), especially if you're after FPS and racing games, because the Xbox gives you the likes of DarkWatch, Halo, and the criminally (haha) underrated Urban Chaos: Riot Response, and on the racing front, Forza Motorsport, Burnout Revenge, Midtown Madness 3, and the Project Gotham games. The Xbox also has a number of Sega games that, thus far, have never been ported elsewhere, such as Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, GunValkyrie, Shenmue II, and OutRun 2.
You bring up some interesting points. Geist is basically Perfect Dark for the GameCube. I mean, in terms of situation. Both are great games, but held back because of the technical power of the consoles at the time. In the end, Perfect Dark becomes a way better game on the 360, thanks to 60FPS and NATIVE 1080P. That's right, NATIVE 1080P, 60FPS, on the Xbox 360. For a shooting game. Not for a... Geometric... War... game. No pun intended.
GooberMan wrote:My brother tried booting my Xbox after several moves between states and eight years of no power. Hard drive error. Well shit. Going to have to get a new hard drive and install it properly to get it back to operational speed.

Besides. Eternal Darkness isn't on the Xbox.
This is what I hear a lot. Some people have no trouble with their original Xbox, then some people get a lucky ticket and bam. HDD error. On top of that, the Xbox had multiple SKUs, and until version 1.6, consoles had battery leaking issues. So, aside of having the problem of knowing if the console is in a good state or not, I need to know what version it is (or at least, I need to guess it since each version was fabricated in a specific year), and since most sellers have little to no fucking idea what they're selling, I'm actually starting to think that they're so high in cocaine that they forgot they were selling a game console, and they're probably thinking they're selling a toaster box. Yeah, right.

In the end, I think I'll consider getting a GameCube instead, but at least, once I research more of it's library. So far, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast and Rogue Squadron 3 seem badass. I already have my mind made up for the Xbox already and I know what games to get, but... Come on, it's basically stuff I already have! It's like me getting an Xbox One just to play Call of Duty Ghosts and Ass Creed IV, it's stupid. Sure there's some great exclusives on the original Xbox, but it's really... not enough. On top of that, if the system breaks, I can't salvage saved games (unless it's in the rare-to-find memory unit that you plug in the controllers, but only a percent of Xbox games even use that feature) and the system is really, really hard to find in a good condition, and when it IS in good condition, it's missing cables, or it's packaged with a shitty 3rd party controller (that, in the picture, look like the sticks are completely broken) or some other set-back, such as the seller being an asshole or a jackass or a dumbass, or all the three at the same time, or all of the above. But then again, the 360 does have backwards compatibility, and MAYBE I'll get most of the original Xbox games to play there, if I really feel like I'm missing something, and even if the emulation software sucks ass for some games (such as Thief Deadly Shadows having light sources coming out of walls, or Ninja Gaiden having low FMV framerates). And a lot of the games recommended by people here are multi-plats that are available on the PS2 (and even the 360, which I own), such as Burnout Revenge (that I already have on the 360) and Urban Chaos.

Thank you all for joining the discussion.
XanderK9

Post by XanderK9 »

gabrieloup wrote:This is what I hear a lot. Some people have no trouble with their original Xbox, then some people get a lucky ticket and bam. HDD error.
Nothing last forever, after all. Also, the hard drive is the same thing you will find in a computer, so such problem is not exclusive to the console at all.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

gabrieloup wrote:I forgot to mention I already have a PS2, and I have BLACK (and an original version, not backup or something). Awesome game, but it's pretty boring after the novelty wears out.
Heh, not for me! I must have beaten BLACK at least ten or times total, and on all difficulties. Gotten 100% about three times. The gunplay in that game was stellar, really ahead of it's time. I'd do anything for a faithful PC port or remake. I even came up with my own "achievement list" if it were ever given the achievement treatment most modern games get.
gabrieloup

Post by gabrieloup »

XanderK9 wrote:
gabrieloup wrote:This is what I hear a lot. Some people have no trouble with their original Xbox, then some people get a lucky ticket and bam. HDD error.
Nothing last forever, after all. Also, the hard drive is the same thing you will find in a computer, so such problem is not exclusive to the console at all.
Yeah, but it's still really weird. The same thing happens with the old 360's. Some people say "HURR DURR I'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM! I HAVE ONE SINCE 2005 LOLOLOL" and then there's people like me, who had 3 consoles. Yep. two of them had the RROD problem. It makes me wonder if these people are either lucky or are lying or don't use their console regularly. Because I could also say "HURR DURR MY OLD SHITTY BROKEN PC STILL WORKS BECAUSE I NEVER USE IT LOL". I know things never lasts forever, but as I said, I'm looking towards durability. What if I bought an Xbox that was used for years and years, and then the system arrives and breaks in two weeks because the seller didn't tell me that he knew it was going to break soon after? That's the kind of problem I'm expecting. With the GameCube on the other hand, I see it's an extremely durable system, and to fuck it up, you REALLY need to fuck it up.
Nevander wrote:
gabrieloup wrote:I forgot to mention I already have a PS2, and I have BLACK (and an original version, not backup or something). Awesome game, but it's pretty boring after the novelty wears out.
Heh, not for me! I must have beaten BLACK at least ten or times total, and on all difficulties. Gotten 100% about three times. The gunplay in that game was stellar, really ahead of it's time. I'd do anything for a faithful PC port or remake. I even came up with my own "achievement list" if it were ever given the achievement treatment most modern games get.
I mean, in my opinion. Nice achievement list though. I'd definitely like to see a sequel though, instead of a remaster. I'm quite sure everyone's bored with these already. But a PC port would be nice.

P.S : EA was fabricating copies of BLACK for the PS2 until 2014. Yeah, it took them 8 years to stop making copies of BLACK. It's THAT popular. If they made a sequel, they would obliterate Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield and other mediocre shooters in the first try.
XanderK9

Post by XanderK9 »

What do you expect? It's used consoles! I could certainly sell one of my consoles to someone without knowing it may break two weeks later because of a problem you can't see. We're not fortune tellers, after all.

Also, your example still apply with the Gamecube. What if that Gamecube was used for years and years and then breaks two weeks later because of a failing laser in the optical drive? The console may be durable in a way, but that doesn't make it immortal.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

The Gamecube is what I preferred more because of certain titles like Super Mario Sunshine and Super Smash Bros. Melee, I did play a few other titles though that were multiplatform like Pac-Man World 2 and 3.

I remember playing the Original Xbox at least once on Halo 2 with my brother, but that was in about 2007 or so. I think it was technically was more powerful considering both the Gamecube and the Xbox had the definitive versions of Sonic Heroes while the PS2 version was an utter mess, yet what I find odd is Pac-Man World 3 is slightly butchered on the original Xbox while the PS2 and Xbox versions have more higher res textures and a higher framerate, plus much less glitches such as audio not playing or weird lighting effects.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Oh, I forgot to mention one of the better reasons to own the Xbox: Breakdown. One of the weirdest fps games on any console, loads of unique elements that few other games have tried to replicate.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

gabrieloup wrote:P.S : EA was fabricating copies of BLACK for the PS2 until 2014. Yeah, it took them 8 years to stop making copies of BLACK. It's THAT popular. If they made a sequel, they would obliterate Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield and other mediocre shooters in the first try.
would it now? all of those three titles you mentioned are incredibly popular, and even though COD has been consistently gotten new releases every year for 12 years, it's still selling well enough for it to be profitable. besides, if Black 2 was a thing that'd happen, EA could just as well butcher that sequel to hell and back.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

gabrieloup wrote:Oh and don't come with the "JUST BUY A PC" joke. I... already... have... one. But I really, really don't care about emulating. If I wanted to emulate anything, I would just... you know... do that. I prefer getting the original stuff and play everything like it's actually meant to be, not to mention that I'm getting a shinny console with 4 player support.
As an anecdote, there's no actually useable (let alone hardware complete) emulation of the original Xbox at this stage anyway. Only the Gamecube has useable (if not actually complete?) emulation.

Return to “Off-Topic”