[BETA] Danimator - Beta2 is L I V E (p. 4)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Theshooter7

[BETA] Danimator - Beta2 is L I V E (p. 4)

Post by Theshooter7 »

Spoiler:
I hope every one had a Merry Christmas/Happy holidays! I apologize that this release took like 4 months to produce, but it's with good reason: it is HUGE. But enough with excuses right? Let's get to the damn changelog (without a spoiler, cuz it deserves to be looked at)

(Items in BOLD are major features/changes)
  • Fixed opening Project didn't set timeline max value of state correctly
  • Fixed some rendering artifacts in the sprite view
  • Fixed play/stop animation tooltip showing "play animation" when it should read "stop animation"
  • Fixed being able to use the editor controls after deleting a state, causing possible crashes
  • Fixed bug where an embedding option was not saving to config file
  • Fixed some text alignments
  • Fixed bug where you could delete the default blank sprite/sound options in the resource lists
  • Fixed allowing one to open multiple code view windows
  • Fixed potential bug where sprite offsets could be adjusted during animation playback
  • Fixed size of File menu bitmaps being larger than intended
  • Fixed adding sprite or sound resources of the same name not replacing already loaded ones (instead they are silently ignored; might revisit this in the future)
  • Fixed allowing spaces in state names; all white space is now cleared from states when entered
  • Fixed the "play sounds" option checkbox not actually working
  • Project name now shows up in the titlebar when saved or loaded
  • Slight change to DECORATE code formatting (one less tab indent)
  • Reduced size of Code window a bit to accomodate (less screen cluttering)
  • Lots of code refactoring for cleanliness (still not perfect though)
  • Added bilinear filtering option to the Settings menu
  • Removed the minimum 2-frame requirement; states can now be created with just 1 frame (if it is meant to be an empty state with just a flow control: add it into your code manually)
  • Added mouse scroll wheel zooming and zooming capability
  • Added data columns to state and resource lists indicating additional information like frame count, dimensions, etc.
  • Added Undo/Redo system for most editing actions
  • Added Stencil option to hide parts of the sprite frame that go outside of the visible area
  • Added a current frame display in the status bar, indicating the current frame number in the timeline
  • Replaced +/- icons for add/remove frame with new custom ones
  • Increased range of X/Y offset spinners from +/-1024 to +/-65535 (kinda overkill but hey, it's allowed!)
  • Added notification in status bar for when a save occurs
  • Added TEXTUAL, a visual TEXTURES editor/compositor (see information below)
  • Allowed access to Resource controls without states, due to the new save format accepting this and the introduction of TEXTUAL
  • Added "Apply Sprite/Sound" buttons to the resource panels to remove the obscure method of utilizing them (though the old double-click ability is still present)
  • Added an application icon (wowie!)
  • Added a number of warnings for when potential errors or permanent actions are being taken. These warnings can be disabled in the Settings dialog
  • Added a sprite previewer that displays above the resource list (can be disabled in the Settings dialog)
  • Added drag and drop capability for sprites; one can now drop sprite images onto the appropriate resource list to load them
  • Added a Batch Action dialog which allows (off)setting of sprite offsets or tics across multiple frames at once
  • Added Copy and Paste actions for single animation frames
  • Added the ability to export animation states to an animated GIF image via the right-click context menu (with some limitations; see below)
  • Added an Import and Export options to the menu bar. Users can export loaded resources and custom textures to a .danres file which can then be imported into other projects as embedded data.
  • Added the ability to import SNDINFO lumps. Danimator will ask for the lump, and then a base directory to search for sound files, then it will parse the SNDINFO and load appropriate sounds with matching SNDINFO entries.
Spoiler: Shortcut keys
Spoiler: What is textual?
Spoiler: GIF Export limits
Apply pressure to this link to download Beta 2!
For 32bit or 64bit Windows Operating systems, requires an OpenGL-capable graphics card

I have also put together a small package containing 2 samples (at current): the pistol example from the screenshot, and an atlas example with a hand sheet set.
The package also contains a simple documentation guide going over the basic usage of the program and how to navigate it.
Click here to download the sample and documentation package

===================================================

Feel free to leave comments, feedback, bug reports, etc. Or if you'd like to submit a sample to include in the sample package, feel free to post it! :D
Spoiler: Beta 1 (original) post
Last edited by Theshooter7 on Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wartorn

Re: [BETA] Danimator -- "A friggin' animation program!"

Post by Wartorn »

cool program would use again
Xenaero

Post by Xenaero »

Damn this is cool.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

this is fantastic!

also even the tic load out actually ends up being easily convertable to EDGE DDF code so this is like useful for any engine it seems
Alekv

Post by Alekv »

Very useful, but what about the opportunity to add to the program siting elements HUD, and then display the coordinates as text? It would be easier to create HUD
XanderK9
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by XanderK9 »

Interesting! I was also wondering of something similar a while ago because I couldn't animate a weapon smoothly enough, especially due to my lack of experience and free time (well, it's more like attention span in that case :P).
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'm unable to run this, as it needs some kind of Visual Studio debug DLL that I don't have easy access to (MSVCP120D.dll) and isn't included in the packaged redist folder.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... ?msvcp120d

Use the manual fix download and put the DLL in the same directory as the EXE, see if that works.
Theshooter7

Post by Theshooter7 »

wildweasel wrote:I'm unable to run this, as it needs some kind of Visual Studio debug DLL that I don't have easy access to (MSVCP120D.dll) and isn't included in the packaged redist folder.
Huh, I must have uploaded a Debug build by mistake :oops: Fixed the link, try again!
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Cool, this is just about what I was looking for! I'll need to figure out how to add it into my workflow at some point.
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

This looks really useful. I'm looking to make a program with C++ that allows you to easily create in-game HudMessage based menus, but I've lost focus on that because I am having trouble with simple things like loading images. Could you give me some pointers possibly?
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Seidolon wrote:This looks really useful. I'm looking to make a program with C++ that allows you to easily create in-game HudMessage based menus, but I've lost focus on that because I am having trouble with simple things like loading images. Could you give me some pointers possibly?
Images? How about libsdl/libsdl2? They make it very easy and is very well-documented. I have this old snippet from an early project to load a file as a GL texture (before SDL2, and C, not C++, but should be simple enough to change)

Code: Select all

void gl_surface_to_tex(SDL_Surface* surf, SDL_Rect r, GLuint* tex){
	SDL_Surface* canvas = SDL_CreateRGBSurface(SDL_HWSURFACE, r.w, r.h, 32,
			0x000000FF, 0x0000FF00, 0x00FF0000, 0xFF000000); // <= Mind your endianness here
	Uint32 key = SDL_MapRGBA(surf->format, 0, 0, 0, 0);
	SDL_SetColorKey(surf, SDL_SRCCOLORKEY|SDL_RLEACCEL, key);
	SDL_SetAlpha(surf, 0, 255);
	SDL_BlitSurface(surf, &r, canvas, NULL);
	glGenTextures(1, tex);
	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, *tex);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_NEAREST);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_NEAREST);
	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, canvas->w, canvas->h, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, canvas->pixels);
	SDL_FreeSurface(canvas);
}

bool gl_png_open(char* filename, GLuint* surface, SDL_Rect* retrect){
	if(filename == NULL) return false;
	SDL_Surface* tmp = IMG_Load(filename); // <= properly check if the file is there, in this case it was all hardcoded, 
	if(tmp == NULL) return false;
	SDL_Rect r = {0,0,tmp->w, tmp->h};
	gl_surface_to_tex(tmp, r, surface);
	if(retrect != NULL) *retrect = r;
	return true;
}
Rustygold

Post by Rustygold »

Thank you so much!
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

Seidolon wrote:Could you give me some pointers possibly?
Use C#. SRSLY.
Spoiler:
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

The ImageMagick API for C++ (Magick++) is what I'd recommend

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”