Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
Crudux Cruo
Posts: 1165
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:43 pm
Location: California

Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Image

Crudux Cruo's Balance mod http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=542 ... 4477983302

Summary:
Spoiler:
This is heavily subjected to change, so check back often. please let me know if there are any other balance suggestions that i should keep in mind when making this.

ALSO: this is a mini-mod that changes balance, so i didn't make a new thread; if anyone feels this should be moved, that's more than fine.

Changelog=
Spoiler:
Last edited by Crudux Cruo on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Endless123
Posts: 1560
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by Endless123 »

As you said balance is a the key but it also depends on the wad played. If you play the regular Doom 2 maps it's really easy but it's not that easy if you play Plutonia maps or Hadephobia maps. Being an average player what spoil my fun even more than an easy mod is a mod so hard it's impossible to beat(like the infamous Terry's mods). However i'm always trill to try new Doom mods so i'll give it a try :)

EDIT : You might want to change the file format because it's not working. Don't forget ZDoom works better with .pk3 and .wad files
User avatar
magmus
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:20 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by magmus »

Endless123 wrote:As you said balance is a the key but it also depends on the wad played. If you play the regular Doom 2 maps it's really easy but it's not that easy if you play Plutonia maps or Hadephobia maps. Being an average player what spoil my fun even more than an easy mod is a mod so hard it's impossible to beat(like the infamous Terry's mods). However i'm always trill to try new Doom mods so i'll give it a try :)

EDIT : You might want to change the file format because it's not working. Don't forget ZDoom works better with .pk3 and .wad files
I get your point, but I just finished Plutonia (original) with Trailblazer, on the second highest difficulty. I barely used any other weapon except the the Chrome Justice and Sidekicks, they are too versatile and powerful. I barely used the minigun but when I did, it was to beat cyberdemons or masterminds, of which got mowed down in a couple of seconds. I didn't really use anything else, the problem IMO resides in the sheer amount of ammo capacity for the shotguns, each shotgun shell box gave a lot of ammo, even though the Chrome used 3 shells per shot, the ammo obtained from a box made up for it, especially since it is plentiful in Plutonia.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you, but this balance mod is needed to give it more of a challenge. Other than that I love Trailblazer and I think this balance mod is great.
User avatar
Marinelol
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:37 am

Re: Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by Marinelol »

Chrome justice isn't that bad ammo-wise anyway. The other shotguns use 2 shells per shot. Sometimes you miss and need 3 shots to kill a caco (so same ammo as chrome). Might as well use chrome normal attack on everything :p.
Endless123
Posts: 1560
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by Endless123 »

magmus wrote:
Endless123 wrote:As you said balance is a the key but it also depends on the wad played. If you play the regular Doom 2 maps it's really easy but it's not that easy if you play Plutonia maps or Hadephobia maps. Being an average player what spoil my fun even more than an easy mod is a mod so hard it's impossible to beat(like the infamous Terry's mods). However i'm always trill to try new Doom mods so i'll give it a try :)

EDIT : You might want to change the file format because it's not working. Don't forget ZDoom works better with .pk3 and .wad files
I get your point, but I just finished Plutonia (original) with Trailblazer, on the second highest difficulty. I barely used any other weapon except the the Chrome Justice and Sidekicks, they are too versatile and powerful. I barely used the minigun but when I did, it was to beat cyberdemons or masterminds, of which got mowed down in a couple of seconds. I didn't really use anything else, the problem IMO resides in the sheer amount of ammo capacity for the shotguns, each shotgun shell box gave a lot of ammo, even though the Chrome used 3 shells per shot, the ammo obtained from a box made up for it, especially since it is plentiful in Plutonia.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you, but this balance mod is needed to give it more of a challenge. Other than that I love Trailblazer and I think this balance mod is great.
First of all i never said the Trailblazer mod don't need more balance or this balance mod isn't needed. In fact i think both the balance version and the original version have their place. About the shells i think there is lots of them because the author probably took for granted that the players would use the dual SSG more often than the Chrome and they deplete the shells at an astonishing rate specially under the blaze effect which doubles the fire rate speed. My only complain(if i have to find one :P) about TB is about the minigun that has too much recoils and angle pitch and too much smoke to keep a relatively stable aim but the fire rate makes up for it.
User avatar
Crudux Cruo
Posts: 1165
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:43 pm
Location: California

Re: Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Endless123 wrote:As you said balance is a the key but it also depends on the wad played. If you play the regular Doom 2 maps it's really easy but it's not that easy if you play Plutonia maps or Hadephobia maps. Being an average player what spoil my fun even more than an easy mod is a mod so hard it's impossible to beat(like the infamous Terry's mods). However i'm always trill to try new Doom mods so i'll give it a try :)

EDIT : You might want to change the file format because it's not working. Don't forget ZDoom works better with .pk3 and .wad files
Just tried this, and it works perfectly. please make sure when you drag and drop that trailblazer is first, or get a doom launcher and put the main mod first.

also, how's everyone liking it? anyone else things it needs more nerfs? i'm pretty satisfied with it now, but it still feels like theres something that could be done.
Endless123
Posts: 1560
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by Endless123 »

Just tried this, and it works perfectly. please make sure when you drag and drop that trailblazer is first, or get a doom launcher and put the main mod first.

also, how's everyone liking it? anyone else things it needs more nerfs? i'm pretty satisfied with it now, but it still feels like theres something that could be done.
Not working via zdl, the following picture show you the error i get when i add manually your mod

Image

That's why a .wad or a .pk3 is more practical to use while using zdl. Other files types are just not practical.

I also tried to add the .zip the same way but i still get the same error. Note that this error doesn't appear if i load only the TB mod. Could be my gzdoom version thought. it might be too recent(gzdoom-g2.1.pre-562-g43ea025 - released Jan 8th 2015).
User avatar
Zhs2
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:29 pm
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by Zhs2 »

Nice ticking the join box for a multiplayer game there, chum! I think your error is completely unrelated to this balance mod. Besides, pk3s are zip archives in disguise - most commonly Deflate-packed Image
Endless123
Posts: 1560
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by Endless123 »

Zhs2 wrote:Nice ticking the join box for a multiplayer game there, chum! I think your error is completely unrelated to this balance mod. Besides, pk3s are zip archives in disguise - most commonly Deflate-packed Image
Ho man i haven't noticed it was selected. My mistake :P

Sorry Crudux Cruo, i'll pay more attention to the launcher's options to be sure none are ticked.
User avatar
Valherran
Posts: 1406
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by Valherran »

Can you please make this into a .PK3 or a .WAD? I cannot run it in its current format. :-(
User avatar
Zhs2
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:29 pm
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by Zhs2 »

You could literally change its extension to .pk3 yourself.
Endless123
Posts: 1560
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by Endless123 »

Valherran wrote:Can you please make this into a .PK3 or a .WAD? I cannot run it in its current format. :-(
if you are using zdl just add the following to the commend line

-file "Trailblazer_v1.2a.pk3 " "CCBalancemod-TB.zip"

Note that if the file is inside another folder just move it into your gzdoom folder. DON'T UNZIP IT. It will work fine without unzipping it. That commend line is the one i'm using to make it works.

Ho and be sure NO options are selected, i made that mistake earlier and that was the reason why it wasn't working properly :P
User avatar
Valherran
Posts: 1406
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by Valherran »

Ho and be sure NO options are selected, i made that mistake earlier and that was the reason why it wasn't working properly
Oh, that would explain why I couldn't get it to work the first few times... Alrighty then.
User avatar
Crudux Cruo
Posts: 1165
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:43 pm
Location: California

Re: Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I'll change it to pk3 in my next update, just for giggles. also, i was noticing some of the tweaks got lost in translation to the new patch; i'll be adding everything i wanted and letting y'all know.
User avatar
Crudux Cruo
Posts: 1165
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:43 pm
Location: California

Re: Balance mod for The Trailblazer

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Woah, not sure what happened, sorry folks. Link is working, and uploaded are some of the changes that didn't seem to make it in the transition. Enjoy :)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”