If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

I'm actually done with BD

Post by Armaetus »

More information here on this topic in glorious detail

Yea, I am actually calling it quits on this mod and joining the ranks of those don't like or hate this mod. I have been jaded for the past 6 or so months but I needed to tell people finally after having to put up with all the issues the mod and some of its community have been up to.

My personal issues I have had with Brutal Doom:
-The unbalancing of monsters such as the baron, cyberdemon, imp and zombieman. Makes some custom maps difficult or impossible, not to mention every single release I kept editing the dumb crap out for the sake of my channel.
-Changing the weapons. I'm pretty sure one can get away without adding ADS and reloading into the mix!
-Too many variants. Sperg,Vanillafied, ADHD Edition, Quaker540, IDDQD, Enhanced, etc. I just don't get it myself but so many forks just confuse people, I'm not saying that's bad but it's just so many different versions of V19 it can overwhelm new users.
-The infamous DECORATE N-word code comment and suicide recommendation by Mark. These were simply unacceptable at all levels and should have kept to himself.
-The fanboys. The extremely devoted ones drive me nuts.

In final words, leftover and much older BD videos might be uploaded but sporadically only to clear queue space in the far back.

This is not a hate thread, this is me publicly denouncing my support of the mod altogether as a Doom player and my Youtube channel. I may use assets from it in my own mod but I don't use BD anymore.
Last edited by Armaetus on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
amv2k9

Re: I'm actually done with BD

Post by amv2k9 »

Whoop-de-doo, more beating the rotting horse carcass that is BD.
Too many variants. Sperg,Vanillafied, ADHD Edition, Quaker540, IDDQD, Enhanced, etc.
Honestly a good thing IMO. Proof that content can outlive its creator, or in the case of Mark, outlive its creator's toxic attitude. And some of those spinoffs were borne out of the gameplay balancing bugbear you noted.
Last edited by amv2k9 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

Yeah i was wondering what happent to mark, the EA of doom. Hes gone silent on everything, but then again theres this new gustavo guy that was hiving around lately.
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home

Post by Armaetus »

amv2k9 wrote:Whoop-de-doo, more beating the rotting horse carcass that is BD.
Too many variants. Sperg,Vanillafied, ADHD Edition, Quaker540, IDDQD, Enhanced, etc.
Honestly a good thing IMO. Proof that content can outlive its creator, or in the case of Mark, outlive its creator's toxic attitude. And some of those spinoffs were borne out of the gameplay balancing bugbear you noted.
Probably my first and only BD thread.

You are right on the variants segment, which were based on Mark's unbalanced work. I tried to remove headshots and limbshots since I suspect that was either the full or partial fault of the absurd framerate on highly populated maps.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

I'm not done with it, but I rarely play it in the first place. Also I like locational damage, but I like it to be cosmetic only.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Those are pretty much the same reasons that I probably won't update this anymore
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

Glaice wrote: ...The infamous DECORATE N-word code comment...
What's that, exactly...?
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

TheBadHustlex wrote:
What's that, exactly...?
Mark left a comment in the code of the Plasma Rifle, i believe, about "burning niggers", which, when it got found out about, he apparently decided not to remove it at first or something? i don't remember exactly what transpired, but it was about the comment in the code.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

TheBadHustlex wrote:
What's that, exactly...?
Sarge left a comment in the plasma gun code (probably gone by now) involving a racist epithet that I don't care to repeat. When he was called out on it, there was (predictably) a huge shitstorm in the BD thread. I don't care to go dig up the post in question out of the hundreds of pages that thread got. Go find it yourself, it's probably still there.
Big C

Post by Big C »

I think as time went on Sarge started changing Brutal DooM from an amusing parody of heavy metal excess to a...Well, not-parody. With an obsession with gore and antisocial behavior.

He was screwed up. I'm still not sure whether he was always like that or turned that way gradually, though.
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

Guess he just couldn't handle his success.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

TheBadHustlex wrote:Guess he just couldn't handle his success.
More like, his "success" quickly revealed the kind of person he really was, and probably always had been to that point.
Nems
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

I wouldn't say it's all bad news.

I mean, Brutal Doom's existence led to quality gems like this:

And this:

Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Brutal Doom by itself isn't bad. it's Mark's attitude that was the problem. if Mark didn't act the way he did, i don't think there'd be all this controversy revolving around the mod, and the only real annoyance would be everyone asking for BD compatibility with everything ever in the everness of everity.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Hellser »

I was one of the shit-stirrers for the whole BD thing back a few years ago. I can safely say now that I did play Brutal Doom, and I enjoyed it. But Mark's toxic personality crossed me something awful. Like Mark, the fanbase and, dare I say.. cult that revolved around Mark also became toxic.. and just like any AAA-company, Mark's ass was being kissed by media groups (all I know so far was Kotaku and PCGamer(?)) -- saying that Brutal Doom was the "New Doom" and how "zomgawesome" the mod was - whilst turning away from any decent suggestions at the time.

This attracted a wave of new Doomers which concentrated solely on Brutal Doom and nothing else. Hence the constant "WILL THIS WORK WITH BRUTAL DOOM" posts on other mods. Besides that, some of the new folks BD brought on worked on Brutal Doom publicly (Sperglord, etc.). While I might grind my teeth at such forums - I am also smiling too. When these guys are done with their BD craze, they'll have the know-how to make new, and possibly awesome mods!

I don't like Mark. Sure didn't like how he handled things and tried to pass it off as a cultural difference. All is said and done now. Welcome aboard, I suppose? If so, get crackin' on tryin' to make a few awesome mods, man. Start small, experiment with ideas floating in your head.. and be sure to give proper credit! (Another Mark stab, heh.)

Return to “Off-Topic”