Gundam Mod (alpha 3 version)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
lizardcommando

Gundam Mod (alpha 3 version)

Post by lizardcommando »

This was something I wanted to do for the longest time, but never really had the motivation to do it until now. Anyways, this is a simple class-based single-player weapons mod for the ZDoom and GZDoom.

You choose from two classes, the Earth Federation mobile suit, the RGM-98D Jegan D-Type, or the Zeon mobile suit, the MS-06F2 Zaku 2 F2. Why these two mobile suits and not a Geara Doga or Geara Zulu in place of the Zaku 2 or the iconic RX-78-2 Gundam in place of the Jegan? Because I wanted to play as my favorite mobile suits. Also, I don't own a model of the Geara Doga or Geara Zulu and the model I have of the Gundam looks like crap. The Jegan comes equipped with the Beam Rifle, Beam Saber and the shield and the Zaku 2 F2 comes equipped with the 120mm Zaku Machinegun and the 90mm Machinegun. I might add the Heat Hawk if I can find a way to attach it safely to its hand.

This version, the Jegan and now the Zaku 2 F2 is available to play. For the Jegan, the Beam Saber (SLOT1), Beam Rifle (SLOT 2) and Shield (Mini Rocket Launcher is SLOT3) are available to use. You can now use MOUSE2 to raise your Shield. The Zaku 2 F2 only has the 120MM Machinegun (SLOT 2). There are still a couple of bugs and I still need to fix up the sprites. Other than that, it's pretty functional.

Test it out and have fun.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/31d8o ... mod-v3.zip

Oh yeah, sorry to disappoint some of you but there is no Wide-screen support for this mod.
Last edited by lizardcommando on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
lizardcommando

Re: Gundam Mod (alpha 2 version)

Post by lizardcommando »

Hi everybody! So the mod is kinda dead now. Besides the lack of time, I don't have all the resources I need at the moment to complete the Zaku 2 F2 class (my kit's back home in the US), but I do still have some of the resources left over to make the Jegan Shield weapon. Speaking of which, I finally got it implemented for the most part thanks to Oberron's help with the coding. It's not completely how I want it to act, but it's close enough. http://www.mediafire.com/download/nhlc8 ... mod-v2.zip
Nihtram

Post by Nihtram »

Great mod!
But a little offtopic:
From which Gundam Album is the music in the first and the second video that plays in the background?
BlackLagoon

Post by BlackLagoon »

lizardcommando wrote:
Looks like a quality weapon model and effects there. Congrats! :ugeek:
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

BlackLagoon wrote:
Looks like a quality weapon model and effects there. Congrats! :ugeek:
Thanks! There are still some bugs in it but its function is basically the prototype of how I want it to function
Nihtram wrote:Great mod!
But a little offtopic:
From which Gundam Album is the music in the first and the second video that plays in the background?
Both songs are from the Gundam Unicorn OVA series.
BlackLagoon

Post by BlackLagoon »

How long did it take to make the model?
I've spent 8 hours mapping so far and I only have 2 rooms mostly finished.
Galaxy_Stranger

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

Your sprites are absolutely excellent, and the video quality is fantastic, too. Could you tell us how you made it? My videos turn out looking like crap.

Wish I had seen this when you originally posted. I tried using models from Macross in the same way, but never could get it to look any good. I resorted to 3D models.

I encourage you to finish this mod.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Thanks for the kind words of support, guys.

As far as making the sprites goes, I take the arms off the model kits, pose them carefully against a white colored background (it's just a blank piece of copy paper) and take a picture. I then take it into photoshop, cut out the image and put it into a new project file with a transparent background, adjust the colors, resize it and then import it into Slade. It does take a fair amount of time to animate everything, make sure the lighting is consistent with the rest of the sprites. If something goes wrong, I usually have to retake the whole set of shots for an animation.

I use Bandicam to record the gameplay videos. The framerate and picture quality is decent. The only downside is the 10 minute limit per video and the logo on the top of the video.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

If I had the money for models, I'd photograph more of them for you myself. Alas...
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

lizardcommando wrote:Thanks for the kind words of support, guys.

As far as making the sprites goes, I take the arms off the model kits, pose them carefully against a white colored background (it's just a blank piece of copy paper) and take a picture. I then take it into photoshop, cut out the image and put it into a new project file with a transparent background, adjust the colors, resize it and then import it into Slade. It does take a fair amount of time to animate everything, make sure the lighting is consistent with the rest of the sprites. If something goes wrong, I usually have to retake the whole set of shots for an animation.

I use Bandicam to record the gameplay videos. The framerate and picture quality is decent. The only downside is the 10 minute limit per video and the logo on the top of the video.
so is fraps.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I've personally never had good luck with fraps. Framerate is much worse for me in Fraps than in Bandicam.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

lizardcommando wrote:I've personally never had good luck with fraps. Framerate is much worse for me in Fraps than in Bandicam.
... maybe your CPU is too weak?
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I suppose that is the case. I did use Fraps on an older computer a long time ago.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I know I said the last video I posted that Version 2 was the last one, but I was able to find the last of the resources I had. This one is going to be the last version for a while. I don't have all my resources with me to at least finish the Zaku 2 F2.

But anyways, there are some changes in the mod. For starters, you can now use the Jegan Shield for all the weapons by pressing the secondary fire button. Also, I have added in the Zaku 2 F2. It is only equipped with the 120MM Zaku Machinegun unfortunately, so that class is very, very basic.

Anyways, try the new version here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/31d8o ... mod-v3.zip
Galaxy_Stranger

Re: Gundam Mod (alpha 3 version)

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

Niiiiiiiice

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”