[Justamod] Shut up and Bleed. (Now in V0.4 flavor)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
iSpook

[Justamod] Shut up and Bleed. (Now in V0.4 flavor)

Post by iSpook »

"When Hellspawn stand between you and redemption, the toll required to get by will be paid in your blood."

Download: (Pick one) (IF YOU RUN THIS IN ZANDYBAM, YOU WILL NEED THE 3.0 BETA. Sorry.)
Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpb5bor9znmc6 ... a.pk3?dl=0
Copy link: https://copy.com/qubXHv3WPk8Qv3NH

Spoiler: Old v0.3 shit
Spoiler: Reason for the porting
Spoiler: Lore
Features present in the current mod that are (Still) faithful to this mod:

Code: Select all

* A collection of 22 weapons, all which come with functional reloading and a Kick altfire

* A fully replaced bestiary ranging from fast, melee only imp-type critters to floating masses of Tumorous flesh belching out horrific soul-based nasties.

* Fully replaced item sprites that are "Resident Evil"-ish in design.

* Custom Visual effects (ranging from casing and magazine sprites for weapons to simple, but pretty effects for monster projectiles)
Features present in the current mod that aren't faithful but improve upon the mod:

*New projectiles for some monsters (They were replaced either because they didn't fit the monster's description (Such as the Turmoil's projectile) or because the sprites looked odd (Such as the Pitkis)), although they have been edited so they match as close as possible to their Edge counterparts.

*The reload coding for some of the weapons have been modified, so they don't go through their full reload cycle when they aren't completely empty. (Something the Edge version did that sort of drove me nuts.)
Features in this current mod that are new:

* A custom HUD, complete with a list of all the ammunition types used in-game

* New menu graphics and a font to replace Doom's default Font.

* A new language lump that replaces most of Doom 1/2's Cheat/misc with with messages that seem more appropriate ([size=85]and probably sillier, who knows.[/size])

* New decorative props, which may or may not hide a nasty surprise.

* Quick-thrown grenades, for times when a map-maker decides to throw hordes of monsters at the player, but not a proper weapon to deal with them.

* A new enemy to replace the Commander Keens

* Due to being able to get my hands on new sprites, there are new alternate items (Which mostly work the same as their "Stock" counter parts, and are mostly for variety)

* A taunt button... well, more of a "Scared muttering" button. (with voice lines provided by Marty Kirra) 

Things to do:

* Finish the rest of the weapons (Maybe, never was a fan of the tranq rifle and the other two weapons are OP as fug.) 

* Possibly rewrite intermission text to reflect the mod's "Plot". 

*Possibly replace blood system with droplets and fix up the prop replacements.

Main changelog:

-- New Difficulty setting "Shut up and die", Featuring 2x enemy health, 3x enemy damage, with upgraded and aggressive monsters
-- New New difficulty setting "Shut up and bleed", featuring 2x enemy health, 3x enemy damage, and normal monsters are replaced with alt monsters
-- Old "Shut up and bleed" Difficulty setting renamed "No escape". 
-- All the changes from Ed's "Enhanced" version has been implemented
-- The pipe has been reworked so you can hold the fire button and release it to swing the pipe. its damage and hit range has been buffed
-- Sonnelion's project looks like it's being thrown mid-swing. Same with Abaddons
-- Explosions were reworked.
-- Burrower animation sorta fixed.
-- Lolth gun attack turned into a fast projectile mimicking Hitscan but making them much fairer.
-- Stinger now has a scope
-- Rifle and stinger now autoreload when they enter their scoped-dryfire states (only if autoreload cvar is turned on)
-- Kicking now requires stamina
-- Hud has been redone, ammo values are now on tho Automap hud, instead of clogging up the main hud.
-- There are new scripts for start up, low health and death scenarios
-- New Palette (Taken from Brutalist doom)
-- The spas now takes ammo from the mag when you pump the weapon.
-- The rifle's sound clipping have been fixed.
Things of note: You're going to have to bind keys for Reload, Zoom and Taunt in the control menu, because this mod uses the "Old" method of Zoom and Reload, to maintain Compatibility with Zandronum. Oh and TURN OFF CL_RUN, OR YOU'RE GOING TO BREAK THINGS.

Also, Recommended mods to go along side this:
Dark doom - Click here
Footsteps mod - Click here
Flashlight mod -Click here
An ambient music soundpack of your choice.
Any map that's not fuck-huge and won't break monsters.
Last edited by iSpook on Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:23 am, edited 20 times in total.
-Ghost-

Re: [Project port] Shut up and Bleed.

Post by -Ghost- »

I like it from what I've played so far. I'm glad you finally released something to play, I'd been following your stuff on the /vr/ thread. I've only played a few levels but gun balance feels okay so far; you start off really rough, but once you get another weapon things get a lot more manageable. It feels like the delay between shots can be frustratingly long, though. There's also sometimes a weird delay in reloading, where I have to hit reload twice or just get a time gap before I actually start reloading. It's a little hard to compare straight up to the EDGE version since this plays a lot smoother, great job porting it over.
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

-Ghost- wrote:weird delay in reloading, where I have to hit reload twice or just get a time gap before I actually start reloading.
Three things:

1.) Thanks.

2.) The delay is due to the Idle animation that ChronoTeeth had used. I've tried to smooth it out with some really hacky silliness but it's not 100% resolved, but due to being somewhat faithful to the Edge version, I can't nix the animation to fully iron that out, sorry. (Not to say it's his fault entirely, I sort of have to do the A_Jump thing for the reloads/zoom/grenade key, and this sorta interferes with that)

3.) Which weapon had the fire delay?
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, no problem if anything I mention thinking it's a bug is just part of the mod. I've played the EDGE version before, but not in depth and I've never been sure if I've had EDGE set up properly to begin with. :P

The most noticeable delay was on the shotgun. You fire, pump, hear the shell hit the ground, then it feels like there's another second before you can fire again, so if you click immediately after that pump for a followup shot you're going to have to click a third time. The assault rifle seems to have the same issue, but not quite as delayed. It's weird because all the other guns seem to be fine with followup shots, or have an animation/sound that lasts long enough to cover the delay.
mentha

Post by mentha »

I'm really digging this. Its really hard though. At least, for me it is.

I have to play on lower difficulty settings and still use my knife a lot. That's probably what was intended though. Are there any wads you would recommend to play this on?
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

-Ghost- wrote:Yeah, no problem if anything I mention thinking it's a bug is just part of the mod. I've played the EDGE version before, but not in depth and I've never been sure if I've had EDGE set up properly to begin with. :P

The most noticeable delay was on the shotgun. You fire, pump, hear the shell hit the ground, then it feels like there's another second before you can fire again, so if you click immediately after that pump for a followup shot you're going to have to click a third time. The assault rifle seems to have the same issue, but not quite as delayed. It's weird because all the other guns seem to be fine with followup shots, or have an animation/sound that lasts long enough to cover the delay.

Oh, the shotgun delay is intentional. Pre-delay the thing fired fast enough to make it a wee bit OP.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

hey this is here now!!

great job on the porting thus far!

heres a dl to the original if anyone is curious
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

This + Dark Doom + Ambient Music. :shock:
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Cardboard Marty »

Really liking this port! Been following development on /vr/ (and of course the stuff you post on #tsp) and I've been eagerly awaiting the day I could play it. Really unique atmosphere and it's hard as balls, but I'm enjoying what you've got so far!
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Very Resident Evil(sounds, matilda). I like it. :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Seems to be good fun so far. :biggrin:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I think I missed this mod the first time around and took this opportunity to look it over. Actually pretty good in terms of presentation, though early weapons are really underwhelming (not a fan of the crossbow; feels like a lot of wasted ammo with the spread shot). As is typical of a modern Chronoteeth mod, the game becomes punishingly difficult, and I had a hell of a time finding a map set to use on it and wound up just using the Doom 2 stock maps instead. (TVR!.wad becomes borderline unplayable with all the poison turrets.)
Toberone

Post by Toberone »

I'm not very good with praise so I'll just bluntly state that this mod is really cool. Yay. Kudos on porting it though, really good job here.

Now I'm aware your trying to stay faithful so I don't think I can really state some of my small gameplay grievances (like no true revenant replacement, which is somewhat disappointing.) But I think I should address the sound, which is kinda wonky in the volume department. On the minor side, feel like the guns could use a tad bit of amplication.

On the major side three monsters kind of urk me. First is the caco/rev replacement which is fine until it uses its attack in a small room and you get to hear its firing sound 10x over, I suggest maybe a somewhat quieter sound like the poe ball death sound or even quieter the death sound to the projectiles of cacodemons from ww-doomnukem. Second is the mancubus replacement, damn its loud, REALLY loud. Does it have boss volume properties? Cause I can hear from miles away. I suggest just getting rid of that if its true, or at least make the pain noise less grating. Third is the mastermind replacement, its voice being Cave of the past is really neat but the way the pain sound gets cut out all the time is sorta weird, maybe a shorter sound would be better, though I don't know how you'd match it.

Thats all, pretty good stuff here.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

Enjay wrote:

Seems to be good fun so far. :biggrin:
yaaaa! I was listening to this at the time and like i didnt have a name for the mod so i just chose this

it fits the mood more of the mod, but its weird tbh. the mods about slappin you in the face and being disgustingly grungy. the dark edgy quit messages and item notes in this new version doesnt fit the original mood. its about fucking your shit up, not "my soul is dark and evil..."
iSpook

Post by iSpook »

wildweasel wrote:(not a fan of the crossbow; feels like a lot of wasted ammo with the spread shot).
Yeah I don't like the spread shot either, was thinking about doing it away for something more akin to Code Veronica's Bowgun, but I felt like it wouldn't have been faithful.
wildweasel wrote:As is typical of a modern Chronoteeth mod, the game becomes punishingly difficult, and I had a hell of a time finding a map set to use on it and wound up just using the Doom 2 stock maps instead. (TVR!.wad becomes borderline unplayable with all the poison turrets.)
Er, whoops. The poison turret's not his doing, I'll fix that.
Tobern wrote:On the major side three monsters kind of urk me. First is the caco/rev replacement which is fine until it uses its attack in a small room and you get to hear its firing sound 10x over, I suggest maybe a somewhat quieter sound like the poe ball death sound or even quieter the death sound to the projectiles of cacodemons from ww-doomnukem. Second is the mancubus replacement, damn its loud, REALLY loud. Does it have boss volume properties? Cause I can hear from miles away. I suggest just getting rid of that if its true, or at least make the pain noise less grating. Third is the mastermind replacement, its voice being Cave of the past is really neat but the way the pain sound gets cut out all the time is sorta weird, maybe a shorter sound would be better, though I don't know how you'd match it.
To be honest this wouldn't even be a thing if Zandro had the proper "Bounce sound" code, I'll look into it when I get back into the swing of things.
Chronoteeth wrote: The dark edgy quit messages and item notes in this new version doesnt fit the original mood. its about fucking your shit up, not "my soul is dark and evil..."
The quit messages weren't intended to be edgy, for some reason the mod's lore gave off this "The big baddies are conspiring against poor Rocco while he tries to escape hell" and I sorta took that and ran with the quit messages. Same sorta thing with he cheat messages, whoops.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”