[RIP] Brutal Fantasy Doom (Pre-Alpha 0.5_2)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Ghostrider231
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[RIP] Brutal Fantasy Doom (Pre-Alpha 0.5_2)

Post by Ghostrider231 »

Any Moderators are free to move this thread to the halls of dead as I no longer plan to work on this project anymore.
Hello to anyone reading this,

Wow this project has been on going since 2012?

For anyone who are curious enough onto why I am not working on this anymore (pretty much considered dead back in late 2015):
1. I had way too many ideas and some of them are deemed impossible. (I think my orignal idea was trying to create a bethesda elder scrolls like game)
2. I hardly knew anything about the final fantasy series. So, sorry to anyone looking forward to this.
3. I was basically overloading myself with features that looked like I could pull it off easily, but alas, no. It's an "easier said than done" scenario.
4. My interest on this project kept on dragging itself down more and more.
Lastly, I tried going from the cartoony art style to a more realistic art style. Obviously, that didn't work out.

I would also want to apologize to anyone who went through adfly to get this. I fixed it now, it now goes to the ACTUAL download. (sorry everyone, I won't do that again! Infact, I might consider using ko-fi for my future projects!)

Anyways, I'd like to thank everyone who had the chance to play this and send feedback here and there. Even going back when this mod was orignally just a weapons only improvement mod. As a bonus, I decided to upload the VERY last version here I made before I called it quits. So feel free to mess around in that one! (It's version 0.5_4)

I decided to move onto something that I'm more inclined to be interested in making and also that I know well enough. If you are interested for what goes on for my future projects, (zdoom and others), You can join my discord server here: https://discord.gg/TVR2qPE

I think that's all I have to say before I drag this on.

- Ghostrider231
Hello guys, i am new here. I have been planning on making a zdoom tc for quite a while. (probably like 2 years ago when i started making this.)

After five years of zdoom modding, this is the first project i made to get released so here it goes:

I know the title sounds rather silly, i originally called it, "Final Fantasy Doom Improved" which sounded even more silly.
i Don't have a really good title for this yet.

Welcome to Brutal Fantasy Doom, a zdoom mod by Ghostrider231(aka me)

(https://i.imgur.com/Xdle6ts.png) [Image previews don't work anymore]

Version: Pre-Alpha 0.5_2

Warning: This mod is NOT Compatible with Zandronum.
It may not look like it now, but it will in the next version.

You will need Doom 1 to play this.

Story So far(Still WIP): Gestahl the Emperor begin to gain power through madness, cruelly, evilness, and corruption. He had built a kingdom of his own to rule the empire.
However, The Evil Gestahlian Empire will not go down easily, As the emperor had given orders to his armies and started taking over the empire and gaining
control and power by killing almost every civilians (or even take them as prisoners) and moogles in the empire. The only living Moogle known as, "Mog" knew horrible things about the empire and must save the empire from being taken controlled from Gestahl's Evil wraith. Gestahl doesn't just have normal armies, he also has other different armies for mog to go through and even more deadly foes for mog to face. Magitek was taken by Gestahl's control and made use of technology and magic and even both combined to become even more powerful to gain Total control of his empire. What will mog face from Gestahl's Wraith?

The gameplay kinda take the some of the elements from the original ffvi(iii) and sometimes ffiv(ii) from the snes.

What this focuses:

To make the gameplay itself feel more fast paced and more challenging. (to be honest, i found the original FFDOOM2.wad pretty freaking easy.)

more variety of enemies/monsters, weapons, items, etc. (Items are focused currently.)

(Open world levels! (focus currently.)

Explorable and Intractable environment! (focused currently with open levels.)

More and Better Spells! (planned.)

Rpg gameplay! (Stats, Quests, Levels, Merchants, and Traveling Merchants!)

Quests? (None really planned, i haven't really thought any yet.)

Not your typical classic style mod!

Why? because this is not your tyipcal one way through mod. (aka NON-linear mod)

Game Progression are through dialogue choices, puzzles, and etc.

Please note that none of levels were changed or replaced yet. It will be progressively happen overtime soon. (just be patient. =P)

| If you didn't look at the version, This is currently Pre-alpha Stage. |

Good Feedback/ideas/suggestions are welcome!

Please feel free to give me your thoughts about anything in the game.
Can also be bugs, ideas, or suggestions.

When i first stepped into making this mod, because i thought about making a sword weapon.
After i made a sword weapon out of decorate, i always thinked to improve the weapons too, and i did.
This so forth, gave this mod a name, "Final fantasy Doom Improved Weapons/Final Fantasy Doom Tc Improved".
After that, i ended up making more of the content better, by improving the monsters too.
Which so forth called it, "Final Fantasy Doom Improved".

After about like 5 prototype versions, this is where it is now, Pre-alpha.

Also please note that something big cannot be made within minutes!
(Please be Patient Okay? i'm trying as much as i can.)

Please know that, this is the pre-alpha stage, everything you suggested is NOT there yet.

Version stages:

Prototype - Done.

Pre-Alpha - On Currently.

Alpha - Not made to yet.

Pre-Beta - Not Made to yet.

Beta - Not Made to yet.

Pre-RC - Not Made to yet.

RC - Not Made to yet.

Final Release - Not Made to yet.

--------------------------------------

I hope you enjoy this mod as much as i made this.

-= Whats New: =-

8/19/14 - My work on this could slow down, depending on my brain wants to do.
It's almost September, my work on this could be also be slowed downed, Severely. (It's my personal problem.)

8/20/14 - One new weapon added into the planned section!

8/23/14 - Should this mod continue being compatible with Zandronum? Submit your vote!

8/25/14 - Almost September, my work can be slowed downed Severely.(It's my Personal problem as always.)

8/26/14 - This mod will go through a bunch of changes due to the new rpg system being implemented.

8/27/14 - If you are reading this, This mod will NOT be available for new updates for a while because i have a lot of things to get out of the way, So that is why this mod will be slowed downed Severely. However, i will still check this from time to time.(if i have some spare time to look.)
I won't be able to mod for a while, so i would do this if i have enough time.

9/21/14 - Votes had been claimed, it seems that, the most votes are this mod will no longer be compatible with Zandronum anymore.
Sorry for the huge delay, been busy lately, Version 0.5_3 will come in soon!

2/5/15 - Please note that i've been through lots of changes recently and not having much time to look. (The mod is still in progress, but just slowly.)

(I will reveal the updates, just be patient. =P)

I'm also sorry for not showing the next version yet. (I need to do a LOT of clean ups in my mod and this description.)
Sorry for the LONG delay.

2/17/15 - Some cleaning in this description, one weapon in the, "Planned Features" has been removed. (The weapon LightBringer will no longer be used and will be taken out of the mod.)

Updated the Planned Features list. Removed some Planned features that was already coming with something else in the first place.

There will be lots and LOTS of Revamps in this mod and description.

7/14/15 - Renamed Pre-Release to Prototype as it was a mislead as a pre-finished version.

-=====-

What has been done so far:

(BIG IMAGE WARNING)
Spoiler: The Features of Brutal Fantasy Doom
ADDONS:
Spoiler: Addons
Credits:

SGTMARKIV - Blood n' Gore, Some Visual effects, Some Sounds, and some coding for the Plasma rifle used for Energy Rifle and the Chainsaw. (Woah, nothing to say about this guy.) :o
Sparky and ramon - Original FFDOOM wad. (Original Final Fantasy Doom wad)
Beautiful Doom(BDOOM) - Some sounds, used to use some of their resources from the first version of this mod.
Square Enix - Final fantasy related things.
Bethesda Softworks - Mostly just sounds.
Raven Software
Id Software
(I hope i don't miss anyone here.)

Realm667 Related Credits Here(mostly resources):

Neoworm
Ghastly_dragon
Xaser
Capcom
Runic Games
zrrion the insect
Bloax
Paul NMN
Velocity
Banjo Software.
ETTiNGRiNDER
Tormentor667
Eriance
Mr.Green
Captain Toenail
Die by the Sword

List of features happened recently:

Changelog:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pre-Alpha 0.5_2:
lacks a changelog because there were too many things were changed.

This below is only whats happening on the latest version now:

8/26/14

+ New Fire Death for the Naga Archer.

+ implemented the new rpg system. (still wip, now it just needs it's full stat system, menu system, and etc.)
(right now it has the endurance, strength, xp and leveling added.)

+ New Hud added. (Shown in the first picture and the thumbnail.)

8/27/14

+ Added a less violent death for the Naga Archer and Empire Soldier. (for the starter sword melee attack)

+ Created a Shield world sprite that usually goes with the knight sword. (I had to create this on my own on scratch, So it might look crappy.)

+ The Health items can be picked up as normal hexen items and can used whenever you want.

2/9/15

* Changed Mod format to wad to pk3.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Planned Features:
Spoiler: Planned Features for Brutal Fantasy Doom Updated on 7/15/15

Preview Gameplay video(kinda of an older version of this mod):
Spoiler: Gameplay

Be Warned to know: This mod is in the pre-alpha stage, so be warned to know, there is a lot of unfinished content and bugs/glitches. The newer features will come in, just be patient. =P

Most of the old stuff from the linear(this used to be a Gameplay Changing ONLY Mod.) version of this mod will probably be Removed/Replaced or Revamped.

------ IMPORTANT, if you want to play this mod correctly, look at this. ----------
Wad loading(Be sure you load my mod after FFDOOM2.wad.):
your other mods <--- can go here as long it doesn't over write anything.
FFDOOM2.wad <--- original wad
My Brutal Fantasy Doom mod <----- here

Or you could use zdl(what i recommend), or load wads in order by using a bat.

For ZDL, check here: ZDL

For bat files, You will need to create a new txt file(call it whatever you want.)
Open your newly created txt file and put in:
"zdoom.exe -file FFDOOM2.wad -file Brutal_Fantasy_Doom_PreAlpha05_2_By_G231.pk7"
"exit"
you don't need to add the quotations.

After that, save it and rename .txt to .bat

launch it, than choose Doom.wad because this mod uses the ultimate doom.
after that, your good to go.

---- IMPORTANT Above this. ----

However, if you don't feel like making batch files, here is a link that i made recently ago, includes two batch files: Brutal Fantasy Doom Launcher

Don't have FFDOOM2? get it here: FFDOOM2

Mirror Download #1 of FFDOOM2: FFDOOM2 Mirror 1

Mirror Download #2 of FFDOOM2: FFDOOM2 Mirror 2

------- LAST VERSION DOWNLOAD ------------

Brutal Fantasy Doom Pre-Alpha 0.5_4

------- OLD DOWNLOADS ------------

Brutal Fantasy Doom Pre-Alpha 0.5_2

------ TEST VERSION ------------

This is a test version of Pre-Alpha 0.5_3.
(NOTE: Not all of the features are added into this.)

Download link for Test Version: Brutal Fantasy Doom Pre-Alpha 0.5_3 Test Version

--------------------------------------------------------

----- OLDER VERSIONS ---------

If you are curious about the older version of this mod, check out this:
Prototype 0.1

------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------

-------- PERMISSIONS -------------

----------------------------------------------------------

Distribute this mod to whatever site you want, just remember to credit me.
Do NOT use my stuff, at least ask for permissions first.

----------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Ghostrider231 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 125 times in total.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP/Released]Brutal Fantasy Doom(Pre-Alpha 0.5_2)

Post by Ed the Bat »

Why not use SCP format for songs taken from the SNES games instead of OGG? It'll save several megs of space. That's what I did when I made a music update pack for FFDoom2.
And these graphics for King Edgar's chainsaw use the sprites from Doom. But Edgar's saw has a circular blade. Wouldn't the graphics from Freedoom be a much better fit?
Also, how about updating this code? Setslot has been deprecated for five and a half years, and for good reason.

That being said, I have to say this is the first mod with "Brutal" in its title that I've ever been interested. I really liked Final Fantasy Doom, so I'm curious where this is headed.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Ed the Bat wrote:That being said, I have to say this is the first mod with "Brutal" in its title that I've ever been interested. I really liked Final Fantasy Doom, so I'm curious where this is headed.
You didn't like Poice Brutality?
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I actually really love Terrorists(!), as evidenced by me releasing a bugfix version in its thread. I meant specifically the word "Brutal", and not "Brutality" (splitting hairs, I know), and also the fact that "Police Brutality" was an intentional joke title to reference the surge in popularity of "Brutal" mods at the time.
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

Ed the Bat wrote:Why not use SCP format for songs taken from the SNES games instead of OGG? It'll save several megs of space.
Thank you! I didn't knew much about spcs, so i gave it shot and it worked! (because i throught zandronum didn't had this support, but it did.) Those ogg files really had given me a problem because every time i try to play a sound file or import one. I ended up waiting for a few minutes or so because of an ogg file. Some of the oggs will be replaced with spc music formats. That saved me 10 mbs of space! big jump there! this will be present in the next version. :)
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Beautiful. Also, my apologies about that typo. I keep getting SPC's and SCP mixed up anymore. :P
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

New update on the description, and also fixed some grammer issues at the same time too. Lots of plans ahead.
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

heh, i used to have the same feeling as you did, making secret zdoom projects and never releasing them. Making zdoom mods for five years. i used to be shy when i made into a community, except mine was youtube. Ed, Good luck on the journey!
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I guess you read my profile. :3:

Thanks for the well wishes! :D
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

Any clues for psf files?
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Sorry, can't help you there. When I made my music pack, I had to concede and just use MP3's (normally I go with OGG's, but I had them as MP3's and didn't feel like reconverting them). Normally, I'd suggest making a request to the folks behind Game_Music_Emu to add support, and then I'm sure the ZDoom dev's would be happy to update their version, but it's pretty clear that the GME folks don't listen to the suggestions/bugs that are posted there... I've been waiting more than a year for them to address one. :(
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

Ed the Bat wrote:Sorry, can't help you there. When I made my music pack, I had to concede and just use MP3's (normally I go with OGG's, but I had them as MP3's and didn't feel like reconverting them). Normally, I'd suggest making a request to the folks behind Game_Music_Emu to add support, and then I'm sure the ZDoom dev's would be happy to update their version, but it's pretty clear that the GME folks don't listen to the suggestions/bugs that are posted there... I've been waiting more than a year for them to address one. :(
oh well, because i wanted to put the remaining music for this original music pack i'm gonna plan to release here.(as an addon.)
you know, the best way to not make a giant wad because all of the music is just full of mp3s or oggs.
(i mean who wants to download a 200 mb music wad that has the original music?)(that's what it was originally.)
whats done so far was, most of ffvi and ffiv music was already spc, and the ps1 soundtracks are mp3s.
file size? i think 20mbs something.

Yeah, their pretty busy doing something else i guess, because you know, the devs aren't always 24/7 you know.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Ghostrider231 wrote:Yeah, their pretty busy doing something else i guess, because you know, the devs aren't always 24/7 you know.
They're not always once-in-three-years either, going by these timestamps. :P
Ghostrider231

Post by Ghostrider231 »

Do you play zandronum?
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I can't. Zandronum is so embarrassingly out-of-date on ZDoom features, pretty much none of the mods/projects I enjoy playing will work on it. Plus, because of issues with the broken message scaling and other things, I just can't get comfortable.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”