Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TerminusEst13

Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Metroid: Dreadnought is a love letter to one of the greatest video game franchises throughout the years, a partial conversion that brings Samus Aran, her weapons, and levels to the fray to wreak some havoc. Though designed primarily with the Zandronum engine, it is playable in ZDoom as well.
The aim is to combine the speed of Super Metroid with the hectic gunplay of Metroid Prime, resulting in frantic twitch-based gameplay and a massive arsenal to back it up. Fans of Metroid will be using familiar weapons such as the Boost Ball, Power Bomb, Spazer Beam, and Super Missile, executing spectacular moves in the blink of an eye--and there's a few interesting new weapons and techniques as well, just begging for someone to learn and master them.

Even for those who aren't a fan of Metroid, however, we've done our best to make a gameplay mod that is not only interesting, but does some new things. Traditional Doom gameplay is thrown almost completely out the window--sequence breaking is a proud Metroid tradition, and here you are given hundreds of extra tools in order to go through levels however method you want it to.
If a cliff looks too high up, you can jump, double-jump, and wall-jump up there. If there's a large gap between you and another section of the map, charge up your Speed Booster and leap over. If a set of bars separates you from your freedom, you can use the Morph Ball and slide between them. Or if you want to play fair and go through maps how the mapper designed, that's perfectly fine--there are no punishments for playing a levelset how it was intended to be.
Or perhaps you want something a bit more...competitive? This mod is also compatible with different gamemodes for unique PvP action--this works in Deathmatch, team Deathmatch, CTF, Last Man Standing, team LMS, and much more. Swiftly wipe out your foes with a stream of plasma and then quietly roll away to make your escape, or grab the enemy base's Metroid and deftly leap and dive through all counterattacks to capture the baby.

Whether you play in co-op and tear through endless hordes of monsters or play in deathmatch and tear through whatever friends or enemies challenge you, one thing's for sure--Samus Aran is about to have a very, very bad day.

https://github.com/TerminusEst13/ducking-avenger - The code-bank is hosted here online, for anyone to do anything as they see fit.
https://github.com/TerminusEst13/ducking-avenger/wiki - All of the console variables, for adjusting your playstyle as you want. (NOTE THAT AS OF 1.1, the cvars have the name met_* instead of metroid_*)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4p2zW ... sp=sharing - Metroid: Dreadnought .pk3 download. (16.41 megs)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4p2zW ... sp=sharing - Metroid: Dreadnought levelpack .pk3, one test PvE level and three DM levels. (9.26 megs)
Spoiler: IMPORTANT NOTES
Spoiler: CREDITS
Spoiler: CHANGELOG
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Nightfall

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought

Post by Nightfall »

This was awesome to play in SunS. Best of luck to you wrapping this all up. :)
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

I have been wanting something like this for a very long time.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

May 27th? I better get to work on those sprites then!
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

Hey bud, if your interested. I made a metroid inspired hud using Other m's visor as a base to start it off, it was your project that sparked this idea awhile ago when I saw it earlier. Edit it in anyway shape or form you like, I wanted to send this hud off your way earlier.

(Oh and don't mind my friends on team speak in the background in the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVZfvZNie8Q

My only nitpick is, are you planning on adding diffrent sprites for each beam weapon? having the same arm cannon with just a touch of diffrent color dosn't feel right imo D:
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Eh, it looks nice, but I feel like it's too high-res compared to everything else in the game. As for the different arm cannon sprites, to be honest, I never really liked that about Metroid Prime. It felt like needless shininess tacked on for no other reason but to let the less-perceptive children know what beam they were using without looking at the HUD.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

I played around with the git version a bit. I really like it. A suggestion (and I don't know how feasible this is): some form of dodging, like how in Metroid Prime one could lock onto an enemy and then dodge right or left. I realize DooM lacks a lock-on function, but maybe double-tapping the strafe keys could do it?

Also, is there any way to make it so that you can activate and deactivate the speed booster on the fly? I like being able to run without having to worry about not being able to shoot, if that makes sense.

This is awesome.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

It's certainly doable; he's done something like that for Gina in Samsara(at least in the trailer she does). But the reason that was present in Metroid Prime was because overall Samus moved quite slowly compared to her 2D incarnations. It's not necessary here, as she's moving at full Doom speeds. Furthermore, you can move even faster in morph ball mode.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Wivicer wrote:I played around with the git version a bit. I really like it. A suggestion (and I don't know how feasible this is): some form of dodging, like how in Metroid Prime one could lock onto an enemy and then dodge right or left. I realize DooM lacks a lock-on function, but maybe double-tapping the strafe keys could do it?

Also, is there any way to make it so that you can activate and deactivate the speed booster on the fly? I like being able to run without having to worry about not being able to shoot, if that makes sense.

This is awesome.
If you haven't changed the default key, Caps Lock turns "Always Sprint" to true (always sprinting, hold shift to slow down) or false (always slow, hold shift to sprint). Doing that will not trigger the speed booster. (that, and having the slowest speed booster ever is more useful than you think)

Edit: I've always liked the different colors, though in Metroid Prime Samus' gun would change shape in addition to color, but I suppose the unobservant would miss that too. Otherwise it's just Identical Guns 1-8, take a guess in the middle of the firefight if you have the right one out.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Wivicer wrote:I played around with the git version a bit. I really like it. A suggestion (and I don't know how feasible this is): some form of dodging, like how in Metroid Prime one could lock onto an enemy and then dodge right or left. I realize DooM lacks a lock-on function, but maybe double-tapping the strafe keys could do it?

This is awesome.
I think Lock On is possible to do in ZDoom/Zandronum, because I have seen this kind of thing happen in a mod (MM8BDM) due to the player giving itself an item.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

tsukiyomaru0 wrote:

This is awesome.
I think Lock On is possible to do in ZDoom/Zandronum, because I have seen this kind of thing happen in a mod (MM8BDM) due to the player giving itself an item.
I think it's the sniper missile, from Megaman 8, I believe. Not entirely sure if its native to MM8BDM or if its from a mod for it.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

twinkieman93 wrote:It's certainly doable; he's done something like that for Gina in Samsara(at least in the trailer she does). But the reason that was present in Metroid Prime was because overall Samus moved quite slowly compared to her 2D incarnations. It's not necessary here, as she's moving at full Doom speeds. Furthermore, you can move even faster in morph ball mode.
Might be interesting as a speed booster powerup--very short spurts of speed in a specific direction. I can't promise it, but I'll experiment a little bit.

doomfiend wrote:My only nitpick is, are you planning on adding diffrent sprites for each beam weapon? having the same arm cannon with just a touch of diffrent color dosn't feel right imo D:
Planning, no. At the moment, the only arm cannon changes planned are adding flaps when missiles are fired and adding some sort of shucking/cocking animation to a certain other weapon.
That being said, I'm not entirely adverse to it. Maybe in the future?
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Mon May 19, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Using this mod as a base, someone should make full-blown Metroid-style maps with backtracking and stuff, just like in Super Metroid. The bulk of the game core is already in this mod... so one would only need to construct maps, storyline and gameplay around it. :D
Average

Post by Average »

Looking forward to it. :)

It'll be nice to play through Daedalus with this. That WAD always felt like a Metroid game to me.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

Cryomundus wrote: If you haven't changed the default key, Caps Lock turns "Always Sprint" to true (always sprinting, hold shift to slow down) or false (always slow, hold shift to sprint). Doing that will not trigger the speed booster. (that, and having the slowest speed booster ever is more useful than you think)
Not sure why I didn't think of that before. I tried that, and I discovered that when "always sprint" is true, the top speed of the speed booster is actually faster. Almost... Too fast :shock:

Also, Average, you're absolutely right. Daedalus works very well.

Also try SergeantMarkIV's jungle map.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”