[WIP] Demonicron (v. 0.3.3 -IDK Edition-)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
IMX

[WIP] Demonicron (v. 0.3.3 -IDK Edition-)

Post by IMX »

Download here

"So what's Demonicron?"

Demonicron is a global, multifaceted graphic project for Doom and its subsequent releases, and its primary focus is to offer an alternative to the well-known and loved atmosphere of the franchise, while not straining too far from the original game's concept.

"What makes it differ from other projects/mods?"
Spoiler: Here are the basics of the project
"Why "Demonicron"? "

The name is heavily inspired by the tale told on Masters of Doom, which describes the open world in Dungeons and Dragons that the guys at id software developed on their free time while creating Wolfenstein and Doom; the short of the matter is that John Romero lead to the world's demise by giving away the Demonicron (a mighty powerful book) to a demon in an attempt to obtain the Daikatana sword. The demon summoned even more diabolical creatures in their dimension and it was overrun by them. And if you're asking, yes, said story also inspired Doom to a certain degree.

What are the monsters that have been changed so far?

Image << needs an update

-The undead marines
-Imp
-Pinky demon and Spectre
-Cacodemon
-Baron family

A few color Translations have been included in the ZDoom ver. for other monsters too.
Spoiler: Here's a short description of each monster and the source of inspiration

Screenshots?

But of course! (need an update)
Spoiler: 640x480 each, remind me next time of resizing the resolution first next time
Do you happen to have a video showcasing this mod?

Sure! :) (needs an update, though)

Direct link
Spoiler: Embedded player
Words, words, words....Where's the download link?

You just missed it. It's at the top of this post, right below the project logo

Credits (But of course!)

Code: Select all

-id Software, for developing THE videogame
-Adrian Carmack, for conceiving the artwork and the original look of the Doom monsters we all know and love/hate

-Imp = Base by Vader (Skulltag Dark Imp), edits by ItsNatureToDie/David G, ribcage by Eriance (Vulgar), recolor and edit by IMX. Concept by Zdzislaw Beksinski.
-Marines = Recolor and edits by IMX.
-Devourer = Base/concept by Icytux, edits by Arch, TorridGristle and IMX.
-Pinky = Base by Vader/NeoWorm, edits by IMX. Concept by Cyb/Icytux.
-Cacodemon = Recolor and edits by IMX
-Baron/HellKnight = Recolor and edits by IMX
-Revenant = Recolor and edits by IMX. Concept by id software.
-Mancubus = Recolor and edits by IMX.

And PLEASE if I forgot to name someone, point it out!

What's with that brown pinky?

That guy is a ZDoom-exclusive monster called the Devourer. This creature's job, simply put, is to shred you to pieces. Or feces, whatever happens first.

If you didn't watched the screenshots and/or the video, here's a description on what he does. This monster will replace the Spectre entirely, and to compensate its lost on "transparency", now it runs faster than ever. To be more specific, it runs as fast as the regular Pinky goes when playing Doom on -fast settings. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Miscellaneous notes
Spoiler: This project was developed while listening to the following music:
And....I guess this is it, for now. Feel free to voice your thoughts on this project, cheers!
Last edited by IMX on Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
IMX

Re: [WIP] Demonicron (A graphic revampment mod)

Post by IMX »

-Reserved post for references, updates and last-minute changes-

Jan. 1st, 2014 - Post Creation. Happy New Year, guys!
Jan. 1st 2015 - v. 0.3.3 released; changed set of graphics for the Imp, minor sprite edits (Devourer, Pinky). Happy New Year, again! :lol:
Last edited by IMX on Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard2

Post by Leonard2 »

The texutres , sprites and psx music all make a really really great atmosphere.
SoloSpaghetti

Post by SoloSpaghetti »

Nice stuff! :D Now the only thing left is a custom HUD, you should really think to add one to your mod in my opinion. :)
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

I like some of the monster edits but the grime is way overdone on the textures, it looks like cheap Photoshop filters instead of being a natural part of the texture, and the new color scheme often completely messes up the way certain maps use color (for instance, in E1M6, the room with the computer walls and the pinkies, basically everything looks wrong because the whole architectural theme of that room revolved around the gray and blue colors).
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Oooh, this is a really cool idea. I'm especially looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for the Cacodemon and Hell Knight. Nice work so far, IMX!
Immortal Destroyer

Post by Immortal Destroyer »

---Removed---
ArielBoss

Post by ArielBoss »

I loved this dark atmosphere, looks really good, and matches perfectally with the monsters. Also, you have in mind replacements? Like edits of this monsters, like hair, or a dammaged suit. Or in case of the demons some scar or a different shape of mouth or eyes. Dont lose the vanilla spirit, but make it more deep for the player, and less linear.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

20 years of Doom will do that to textures.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I like what you've done so far, the wall textures are nice too. Are you going to change the monster sounds as well to go with the darker sprites?
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

I love the textures finally being put to good use! Please include them in the full release!
SerbianDoomer

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Just what I have been looking for, for replaying the original doom maps.

The texture pack looks great though I notice in the screenshots that there are some old textures remaining. Namely the lights look the same, but I think should be cracked or stained in keeping with the atmosphere of the new textures.

Also regarding the devourer, some people (myself including) play with sv_fastmonsters set to 1. Since the devourer is just a sped up demon if fastmonsters speeds it up even more it will be impossibly fast and if it doesn't then it will be the same as the regular demon. Might I suggest that you give him some unique ability, such as charging from a distance or jumping at you instead of just a speed upgrade.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Oh isn't that that Silent Hill-y texture pack someone was working on? Good to see those textures used in real levels!
SerbianDoomer

Post by SerbianDoomer »

Nash wrote:Oh isn't that that Silent Hill-y texture pack someone was working on? Good to see those textures used in real levels!
Actually it's Doom 2 Recolored by DefconRazor32 (http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=31364) - IMX said so in the first post.
IMX wrote:Okay, speak up. What's with those weird wall textures, a glitch?

Nah, not at all. It's just a quick texture pack I made using this special texture compilation done by DefconRazor32. I used this (and the PSX Doom music WAD) in the screenshots and the gameplay vid just for show. BUT, if you guys are interested in it, I am willing to expand that thing and subsequently release it for everyone to use it, so that's why I left the poll at the beginning of this thread for you guys to vote on this!
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

-Ghost- wrote:I like what you've done so far, the wall textures are nice too. Are you going to change the monster sounds as well to go with the darker sprites?
You probably should, as the sounds can further enhance that grimdark effect. Maybe you can use the PSX Doom sounds/Hi-res Doom sounds and mix and match and distort them so that the monsters, among other things, can sound even more dark and twisted.

Also, I can PM you a PLAYPAL called contrast3.wad to add finishing touches.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”