Lasting Light V4.1 - A Chance for More Horror? (See Pg.10)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ral22
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Lasting Light V4.1 - A Chance for More Horror? (See Pg.10)

Post by Ral22 »

Influenced by the Slender series and The Screecher (A Mod for Don't Starve), and based on my aged Stalker Barrel wad; I'm proud to present...
The concept is simple, thrust into a sudden black-out and the ever approaching presence of the Screecher, Creeper and Stalker; you must take your lantern and make your way to the exit, before your soul falls victim to the dreaded monsters. You are utterly defenseless, relying only on the light of your lantern to keep you safe. Keep your fuel in check and your breath calm, those are the only things to keep you alive.

Gameplay Description:
Spoiler:
Quick Tips:
- The Stalker may be aggressive and fast, but is not the brightest being. Weaving through corridors and many rooms should aid in your attempt to lose her.

- The Stalker will appear less often depending on two variables: whether you're playing with other monsters on and the selected difficulty. Playing with other monsters AND on Normal will produce the longest gaps between her appearances. Also, playing on Normal will give you a second chance should the Stalker catch you.

- The Creeper hates light. If you hear him hiss, put your lantern away as soon as you can. Unlike the Screecher, the Creeper can be seen wandering through the darkness.

- Holding "Shift" (Or your default Run key) will cause the player to sprint. You have stamina, so you can only sprint for so long. There is a toggle to give yourself unlimited stamina if you are too hindered by it.

- The sole purpose of the rock is so you can activate panels that required you to punch or shoot in Doom. You have unlimited of them, but there is some delay between uses. And don't even try to hit the monsters with it, unless you're suicidal.

- This wad was designed to be played with pre-made level sets. Play on the classic Doom levels or load up some of your favorite Vanilla/Boom-Compatible level sets and be ready for the Screecher. Map sets like HellBound, Icarus, AV, 1024, and more work very well. Straying into more modern level sets, such as Voodoo Guns, KDIZD, Unloved, TUTNT, etc. are not fully supported and glitches are likely to occur. There is nothing I can do about this and I would appreciate not hearing about my wad failing to work with them. Stick to Vanilla/Boom maps.

-If you are playing a map set that conflicts with the predetermined footstep sounds (Ex: You're walking on grass but you hear metal steps), you can turn off footsteps by changing the option in the menu.

- Turning off all of the monster toggles activates "Passive Mode," where you are free and safe to explore the map in total darkness. Additionally, "Unlimited Stamina" and "Unlimited Fuel" can be turned on, giving you no worries to calmly enjoy the lonely wandering.

Latest Change Log:
- Fixed a glitch with the Stalker going through walls and mid-textures.
- Added addendum to the Stalker on Normal mode, giving you a second chance to survive should she catch you.
- Added new shock images pertaining to the Stalker catching you the first time.
- Added more befitting world props. (Thanks Terminus!)

NOTE: "Force Additive Lighting" must be set to "OFF" when playing this wad.
Download V4.1 here: https://www.mediafire.com/?7v6i4anz5gd5v3a

Old Change Log:
Spoiler:
Credits:
Spoiler:
Please see credits. There are a few I need help verifying and if I missed someone, please notify me so I may update it.

Please report any issues and problems within this thread. Also, feel free to share the name of map sets that you feel fit the mod perfectly.

Enjoy playing Lasting Light!
Last edited by Ral22 on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 19 times in total.
0bsidian

Re: Lasting Light - Horror Gameplay Mod

Post by 0bsidian »

Sounds quite well made. I'm not really a fan myself, but from reading the blurb it seems very well thought out. Good stuff. :)
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

jajajajaja well i play it and it was fun it make me jump few times :P
you can add more things to make the mod better as flares to keep the path open or another kind of tool to help the player to navigate in the darkness
so far is nice and give a funny air ;)

good work :)
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

When I try to play this, all of the textures in the game are solid gray, and the lantern provides a seizure-inducing strobe effect. Is this normal, or have I done something terribly wrong?
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

Well, the solid grey is not normal. It should be solid black darkness. I've test it on two different computers with vastly different hardware capabilities and never saw any sort of grey. The solid grey might have something to do with your OpenGL settings.

Personally, I had no issue with the light, but if it bothers you (And possibly others), I'll try to upload an optional patch that makes it a solid light as soon as I can.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Ral22 wrote:Well, the solid grey is not normal. It should be solid black darkness.
It's just that your screenshot there shows the textures as they would've looked in vanilla. But now that everything is a featureless grey, it makes distinguishing doors and buttons difficult sometimes. Since the objective is to navigate through darkness, I just wasn't sure if this was intentional.

And if the strobing is intentional, I guess it would've been tough for you to snag that screenie when you only have one or two 35ths of a second to get it. :P
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

I just added a patch that makes the lantern's light solid. That should help alleviate any visual headaches from it.

@Ed the Bat: I'm still not positive what you mean. Could you upload a screenshot of what you are seeing on your screen?
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Indeed. Behold:
Spoiler:
Also, thank you so much for the light patch. So much nicer on my poor old eyes. :)
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

I solved it. You need to turn "Force Additive Lighting" OFF in your Dynamic Light options when using this wad. Otherwise you get the effect that you have experienced.

I'll make a note on this in the main post.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Aha, much better! I don't think I ever would've thought of that. Thanks for investigating!

I'm personally not much of a fan of 'horror' games, let alone any game where the protagonist is defenseless, but I have to say this is quite well done. I'm impressed. :)
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

Thank you for bringing that issue up. I'm sure someone else would have had you not. And thanks for the kind words, Ed.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

I LOVE this! Thank you for making it. I love a good jump scare, and with the added imagery and sounds this is really fun and unsettling to play with all the lights off in the house.
Nash

Post by Nash »

wow many sp00k
10/10 such scare ;_;

4 things:

- Automap overlay texture isn't widescreen friendly
- I think if you reduce the frequency and light value difference between the flickering lights, it would look more natural and not epilepsy-inducing
- The fullscreen scary graphics (when the ghost sees you) aren't widescreen-friendly too
- The reduced player speed disables crossing chasms and makes it impossible to complete some vanilla maps if the player decides to play with no jumping (MAP02 red keycard for example)

I accidently left my brightmap packs autoloaded while playing this and it actually looks kind of cool. :D
Ral22

Post by Ral22 »

Well, I've fixed the epilepsy light and improved the one in the patch, essentially combining the two, and I HAVE updated the main version.

The widescreen graphics I'll get to as soon as I can.

Also, do be aware that you can run, by holding the "Shift" key (Or whatever your default run key is). Your speed only increases when moving forward, like standard sprinting in games these days. If you ARE aware of that and reporting it nonetheless, I've been meaning to slightly increase the running speed.
Last edited by Ral22 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Oh I didn't know there was sprinting... I assuming that whatever speed I was moving at was already the fastest because I play with autorun turned on. :D Yeah the sprinting feature is good enough!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”