Why the name ZDoom?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Why the name ZDoom?

Postby Softie » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:51 pm

I would hereby like to invite everybody to a discussion on why the game bears the name ZDoom. Why not DarkDoom for example? Or perhaps FreeDoom.
Yours truly have a suggestion to make. I guess that the name refers to the implementation of the Z-Axis. The ability to look up and down, aim, jump and walk on top of the characters and monster.
But this is only my guess.
Does anybody have any thoughts on this?
User avatar
Softie
 
Joined: 05 Dec 2003
Location: Sweden

Postby insertwackynamehere » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:00 pm

Because if you put Z or Q or J infront of something everyone knows it's cool.

Likewise, if you put G or K or Free infront of something everyone knows it's free :/

Also, there is a Freedoom. Of course ZDoom came out first but whatever :D
User avatar
insertwackynamehere
http://decored.wackyhq.com/
 
Joined: 10 Mar 2004

Postby Nmn » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:32 pm

Umm.. just because?
User avatar
Nmn
 
Joined: 16 Apr 2004

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:36 pm

I don't know but both RDoom or HDoom sound kinda stupid, don't they???
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Postby Bashe » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:47 pm

How about 245Doom? THAT SOUNDS SO KEWL!!

I think it's named it just Zdoom just because. Ask Randy why.
User avatar
Bashe
boof
 
Joined: 10 Nov 2003
Location: Ohio

Postby wildweasel » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:56 pm

Z is the last letter in the alphabet - so, ZDoom appears last in every list of sourceports. Just like the old shareware classic "ZZT" - the name means nothing, but it always appears last in the shareware lists.
User avatar
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Postby Softie » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:01 pm

But would that not suggest the name ADoom instead? It must be better to be first in a list than last. Or does the last position work together whith the coolnes factor of the letter Z, to make for an ultra cool name?
User avatar
Softie
 
Joined: 05 Dec 2003
Location: Sweden

Postby wildweasel » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:04 pm

Randy could just as well have made the port name "~!1Doom" to ensure that it always appears first.
User avatar
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Postby Nmn » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:10 pm

Maybe it has something to do with the Z-Height? Was ZDoom the first Doom sourceport that introduced variable heights of objects?
User avatar
Nmn
 
Joined: 16 Apr 2004

Postby MasterOFDeath » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:14 pm

insertwackynamehere wrote:Because if you put Z or Q or J infront of something everyone knows it's cool.

Well, there is a ZDoom, a JDoom, and there is a Q doom but the Q means quake :P

NMN - No, if I am not mistaken Legacy and DosDoom did that first...

AHEM RANDY - QUESTION THAT NEEDS AWNSERING!:P
User avatar
MasterOFDeath
professional lurking witch
... in loving memory ...
 
Joined: 03 Apr 2004

Postby Bio Hazard » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:43 pm

the text file of the first ZDoom ever wrote:zDoom is my own port of the official Doom source code to Win32. Yes, I realize
that Andy Bay, Bruce Lewis, and Petteri Kangaslampi have already released their
own ports for Win32, and there are also several others for MS-DOS. The reason
I'm releasing this one is because I worked on it and like it best. :-) (Although
I don't like the name zDoom. Anybody have any good ideas for a different name?)
User avatar
Bio Hazard
Lord of the Lord of Nitpicking.
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Location: ferret ~/C/ZDL $

Postby Enjay » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:04 pm

Bio Hazard wrote:
the text file of the first ZDoom ever wrote:I don't like the name zDoom. Anybody have any good ideas for a different name?)


Hmmm, hadn't spotted that before. It still doesn't tell us why "Z" though. Although, if Randy doesn't like Zdoom, I vote for calling it Bob, or maybe Jim. Susan has a nice ring to it for a source port... :roll:

Graf Zahl wrote:I don't know but both RDoom or HDoom sound kinda stupid, don't they???


RDoom especially sounds like we are back to "talk like a pirate day" Arrrr, Doom me hearties.
User avatar
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain
 
 
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Scotland

Postby Siggi » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:05 pm

how do you say zDoom any way.
Zee-doom or Zed-doom?
User avatar
Siggi
 
Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Location: South Africa

Postby Enjay » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:07 pm

Heh, I was just wondering when the Zee/Zed question would come up. The why "Z"Doom and how do you pronounce it questions come up on a regular basis. There must have been a dozen threads about it over the years.

And still there is no answer. :?


Oh, and you missed one option. Some people call it zzzzdoom (actually using the z sound, not the name of the letter).
User avatar
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain
 
 
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Scotland

Postby Csonicgo » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:10 pm

It's Z doom... zeedoom. This is an AMERICAN game. :D

Besides, Zed doesn't really fit the letter Z, because the ABC song says so. and I like the ABC song, so there. Better than IZZARD. let's all it izzardoom.
Last edited by Csonicgo on Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Csonicgo
OPL Goddess
 
Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Location: Leeds

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests