Crossfire ~ v0.81 (5/1/2019)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
rollingcrow
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Crossfire ~ v0.81 (5/1/2019)

Post by rollingcrow »

Simply put, Crossfire is a gameplay mod featuring a new arsenal, revised enemies, and a perk progression system.

Get v0.81 here, and make sure you have the latest dev build of G/QZDoom!

Feature rundown:
  • An experience system that rewards killing and exploration.
  • A linear perk system for rewarding experience gained.
  • A hybrid health and stamina regeneration system.
  • Left 4 Dead style healing.
  • Projectile bullet (tracer) weapons.
  • Reloading, recoil effects, and sprinting.
  • Hotkey grenades and melee attacks.
  • A new game plus feature that makes the game numerically harder.
Some stuff you should know before playing:
  • Bind keys to do various mod specific things. Everything you need to bind will be shown in the customize controls menu.
  • Press altfire to aim the scoped weapons (assault rifle and grenade launcher).
  • Hold down altfire while using the firebomb launcher to launch a supercharged firebomb. This requires ammo found on chainsaw spawns, however.
  • Hold down the melee key while sprinting to build up momentum for a power attack. If you stop sprinting or run of stamina, you lose your momentum.
  • Taking damage and sprinting will gradually reduce the amount of health and stamina you can regenerate. Use the care package (explained below) to remedy this.
  • Recoil is increased while sprinting or being airborne. Crouching does the opposite.
  • Your starting pistol is silenced, so you can take down enemies stealthily and avoid causing sound triggered ambushes. Firing it indoors near an enemy or if the bullet hits near an enemy, it will be alerted anyway.
  • The care package on slot 1 holds your health packs and field rations.
  • Health packs restore vitality (max health). Use by holding down fire.
  • Field rations restore 25% vigor (max stamina). Use by holding down altfire.
  • Combat stims (activated with a hotkey) heal you instantly, give near infinite stamina, and lets you jump higher for a few seconds.
  • Helper scientists will spawn where the automap, blursphere, and infrared goggles used to be. They're armed, but fragile. They also drop health and ammo (depends on what they're carrying) if you're running low.
  • You gain experience by killing enemies, finding items (treasures and spheres), and discovering secret areas on the map.
  • Beating the game will let you do a new game plus, which lets you restart the wad with your equipment and perks and makes the game numerically harder. You can also start the game with this extra difficulty at any time by typing in "secondquest" in the console (though this will make you lose your stuff).
Spoiler: Experience and perk info
Last edited by rollingcrow on Wed May 01, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 89 times in total.
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy

Re: [WIP] Crossfire

Post by Ctrl+Alt+Destroy »

This looks pretty cool! Not a huge fan of health regeneration and limited stamina, but I suppose they could suffice.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Holy shit, those are some punchy ass sounds. Looking good.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

F***... yes, I've been waiting for a mod like this, I don't know why I love reloading weapons, and limited sprint, and that Level up system. I can see my self being addicted to this right next to Project MSX
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

From the description I was expecting another RGA-alike but this actually looks interesting!

Just one concern, though, everything seems to be very short-range (the slow projectiles from even the assault rifle sorta thingy can make it impossible to hit a moving target at more than 50 paces without covering a wide area and making it a numbers game). How far can most of these weapons be effective?
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Not bad looking, I like the weapons especially. The Rise of The Triad music was a bit much on that 1st video. :lol:
Big C

Post by Big C »

Eagerly looking forward to this. This, Project MSX and Real Guns Hardcore/Advanced scratch some of my itches nicely.
rollingcrow

Post by rollingcrow »

Vaecrius wrote:Just one concern, though, everything seems to be very short-range (the slow projectiles from even the assault rifle sorta thingy can make it impossible to hit a moving target at more than 50 paces without covering a wide area and making it a numbers game). How far can most of these weapons be effective?
The assault rifle and sniper rifle can shoot across Doom 2's map 15. The pistol and explosive shotgun is effective from map 1's starting point, the pistol's recoil is too high for it to be accurate any further (without the appropriate perk, anyway) and the shotgun is wasteful any further unless you're aiming at a wall. The semi auto shotgun is only effective from a few steps away because the spread of its 6 pellets is large. The semi auto grenade launcher can be effective anywhere when aimed at the floor or a wall due to its large blast radius, it doesn't do direct hit damage. The firebomb sort of weapon can be as effective across map 15 if you can compensate for its arc.

Also, first post updated with perk information.
Last edited by rollingcrow on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The firebomb sort of weapon can be as effective across map 15 if you can compensate for its arc.
Sold.
JimmyJ

Post by JimmyJ »

I've always loved your mods, this one looks like the best yet! Eager for that alpha. :3
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

crossfire... that name is bit reminds me a some board game or VS game that shoots balls of steel to survive. i hope i can play it!
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

Looks very promising! Hopefully you won't go crazy with the projectile-spammy stuff, because certain WADS or maps could be very problematic the way mappers use enemies nowadays. I like the slowly recovering health and MGS3-esque stamina meter; hopefully the arsenal will be a good match for this kind of thing.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Color me highly interested. Are there zoom functions for all weapons, or only the ones with scopes?
rollingcrow

Post by rollingcrow »

Only the weapons with scopes (assault rifle, sniper rifle, grenade launcher) can zoom, using altfire.
thonglover
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by thonglover »

I Always love to see mods like this, I just hope it doesn't go quite.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”