[Monsters/Weapon/Sprites] Things and whatnot

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Finalizer

[Monsters/Weapon/Sprites] Things and whatnot

Post by Finalizer »

Various things I've concocted. Use and abuse at your leisure.

MONSTERS
Spoiler:
WEAPONS
Spoiler:
MISC
Spoiler:
Last edited by Finalizer on Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:57 am, edited 11 times in total.
zrrion the insect

Re: [Monsters] Things and whatnot

Post by zrrion the insect »

Man, that Paladin is awesome! I'll defiantly find somewhere to use it. The rest of your stuff looks pretty good too. I especially like the Blood Demon's leap sprites.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

On the Gargoyle, I'm seeing the Wolf3D trooper in its face. Like, really vividly.

...Sorry. Have to say the Paladin is very impressive. Please keep it up! :D
Gez

Post by Gez »

Finalizer wrote:Seriously, why the hell is a Cyborg Demon called the "Blood Demon," and not the one that actually resembles the name?
I blame Skulltag, Demon Eclipse, and KDIZD.
zrrion the insect wrote:I'll defiantly find somewhere to use it.
You'll use it with defiance?
Vader

Post by Vader »

As I said before; nice work on the Paladin! For some reason I really like the shield/GL combo.
I'm always quite overloaded with Doom-related work, but if you're stuck with getting the "normal" death done, feel free to give me a call and I'll try to give it a shot... although it may take while!

The leap-attack of the Blood Demon or whatever you want it to call also looks interesting. I always wanted to make proper sprites for the animation, but never got around actually doing it.
Btw, Gez is right about the origin of the name... In the early days of KDiZD we used the St Blood demon wich was just a stronger dark-red recolor of the normal Demon, but eventually Neoworm provided a new sprite-set and although it now looked like a cyber version of the Demon, we decided to stick with the original name.
In a similar move, we replaced the (pretty awful) sprites of the Mauler demon (originally found in the Monster Resource Wad) with the ones from the Blood Fiend from Demon Eclipse, but kept the name!
Finalizer

Post by Finalizer »

zrrion the insect wrote:Man, that Paladin is awesome! I'll defiantly find somewhere to use it. The rest of your stuff looks pretty good too. I especially like the Blood Demon's leap sprites.
Thanks. Had been thinking that a leap attack would be appropriate for the "upgraded" Demon, being a melee enemy and all.
Jimmy wrote:On the Gargoyle, I'm seeing the Wolf3D trooper in its face. Like, really vividly.
...Not sure how you're seeing that, but might just be me. Then again my Wolf3D-fu is quite weak.
Jimmy wrote:...Sorry. Have to say the Paladin is very impressive. Please keep it up! :D
Thanks~
Gez wrote:You'll use it with defiance?
Would anyone use it any other way?
Gez wrote:I blame Skulltag, Demon Eclipse, and KDIZD.
Vader wrote:Btw, Gez is right about the origin of the name... In the early days of KDiZD we used the St Blood demon wich was just a stronger dark-red recolor of the normal Demon, but eventually Neoworm provided a new sprite-set and although it now looked like a cyber version of the Demon, we decided to stick with the original name.
In a similar move, we replaced the (pretty awful) sprites of the Mauler demon (originally found in the Monster Resource Wad) with the ones from the Blood Fiend from Demon Eclipse, but kept the name!
~The more you know~

And the comment made me go dig up the old monster resource wad just to have a look at what came up back then... Man, the standards have changed, heh. Though I suppose the leap sprites make for a more sensible version of the Mauler Demon's ranged attack, in a way. Never cared for the BOGEYMAN'S COMIN' TO GET YOU attack of the original.
Vader wrote:As I said before; nice work on the Paladin! For some reason I really like the shield/GL combo.
I'm always quite overloaded with Doom-related work, but if you're stuck with getting the "normal" death done, feel free to give me a call and I'll try to give it a shot... although it may take while!
Yeah, the grenade launcher/shield thing actually worked out nicely. Weirdly intuitive combo.

I'll bang my head against the death anims some more, but if I give up, I'll just post whatever I have done in this thread and let you or anyone else who feels up to it have at it.
StrangeEnigma

Post by StrangeEnigma »

The "Phantom" is just the original beta version of the Lost Soul from DOOM. You didn't even edit it.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

StrangeEnigma wrote:The "Phantom" is just the original beta version of the Lost Soul from DOOM. You didn't even edit it.
Having read his description of it, he doesn't claim it to be anything more than that.
Finalizer

Post by Finalizer »

Even so, I've modified the description a bit to hopefully make it more clear that it's purely a behavior modification of the PR Lost Soul. Though now it has GLDefs and brightmaps, so there's that. I've also chucked in a bunch of random brightmaps I've generated for some other monsters.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Finalizer wrote:Blood Demon leap attack
Alternately:
"Blood Demon hump attack"

(I'm sure it looks significantly more like a leap when actually in motion and not repeated like in the image.)
Finalizer

Re: [Monsters/Weapon/Sprites] Things and whatnot

Post by Finalizer »

Ayyy, only a little over two years since I've updated this topic.

Added a Bolt-Action Rifle; based on the Doom alpha rifle sprites with a straight-pull bolt action added. It was inspired by the rifle from ZDCMP2, and my own desire for a centered, scope-less bolt-action rifle. Just don't ask me where the cartridges are ejected from, ehehe~

Could use a hand on crediting some stuff though - Bolt sourced from this sprite, sounds ripped from ZDCMP2; if anyone knows the original sources for the sprite and sounds, lemme know so I can update the credits.
Finalizer

Post by Finalizer »

So I finally got around to finishing the Paladin's normal death animations, for anyone who still cares. Better late than never, I suppose. Special thanks to HorrorMovieGuy, whose bloodless Baron death sprites were handy for editing some of the frames. Also did a little fix on the Dark Imp one-armed attack animations; I forgot to add his spinal spikes to the rear-facing sprites. :oops:
Vader

Post by Vader »

Slight bump, but I wanted to say that I'm really happy with the 'normal' death of the Paladin... looks cool :)
I'm propably going to use this monster in a project of mine (with slight edits maybe), hope that's ok.
Finalizer

Post by Finalizer »

Vader wrote:Slight bump, but I wanted to say that I'm really happy with the 'normal' death of the Paladin... looks cool :)
I'm propably going to use this monster in a project of mine (with slight edits maybe), hope that's ok.
By all means, I'm looking forward to seeing him show up in other projects. :D

Updates:

-Tweaked the Paladin's GLDefs slightly, and added some extra brightmaps for his normal death (not a huge deal, but may as well perfect the damn thing)
-Added Satyr leap/tackle/hump animations, and threw in David G's gib & alt death animations as well.
-Added Soul Harvester sans spikes. I wanted to distance him slightly from his Imp basis, and this makes him look a little lankier and more pathetic, which I find suiting for him. Includes updated GLDefs which also give him obnoxious glowing red eyes~
-Added ZSec gib animations. Only for the assault rifle variant atm, though the only thing that'd need to be done for the alts is to swap the weapon on the first frame. Hey Ghastly, I finally got around to doing it myself, heh.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Finally, I found it! Must use that paladin in my mod! :D

Return to “Resources”