[WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn (Halted)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn (Halted)

Postby MetroidJunkie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 pm

Basically, it's my attempt to recreate the Nitemare 3D engine using improved ZDoom functions such as swinging doors.

Ratios 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 now supported.

Tested with the SVN version of GZDoom, OpenGL derivatives are recommended due to perceived visual distortions under ZDoom.




Download link to current version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1166y ... mare3D.wad

Update: The stairs are now actual stairs, the hedge maze tops have been smoothened out, there are a couple decorative objects as well as pushable blocks, there are levels of brightness added for atmosphere, there's a new stone path floor added for the hedge mazes, and there's a bedroom floor. There are now more enemies as well as a turret gun obstacle.

Spoiler:


Latest Update: I have halted the project in favor of a remake using Unity, instead. I will provide the latest version of the WAD as soon as I manage to resolve my HDD issues, assuming they can be resolved.
Last edited by MetroidJunkie on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 25 times in total.
User avatar
MetroidJunkie
 
Joined: 19 Aug 2011

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Postby Tormentor667 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:08 pm

This is pretty nice :) But why only receating? Why not also enhancing?
User avatar
Tormentor667
needs more detail
 
Joined: 16 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Postby MetroidJunkie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Tormentor667 wrote:This is pretty nice :) But why only receating? Why not also enhancing?


Enhancing is the idea, which is why it has features Nitemare 3D didn't like doors that swing open as well as an open night sky and grass floor for outdoors. At some point, I'll have more variety for floors/ceilings indoors as well.
User avatar
MetroidJunkie
 
Joined: 19 Aug 2011

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Postby Caleb26 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:08 pm

Very nice. I've played Nitemare 3d looooong time ago - only episode 1. You can do something like Laz Rojas did with Wolf3d/SOD - different floors, ceilings + different heights in some sectors, shadows ect. You can also add score counter using Zdoom - very simple.
Caleb26
 
Joined: 07 Feb 2010

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Postby Abba Zabba » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Looking forward to this.
User avatar
Abba Zabba
 
Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Location: a place lol!

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Postby MetroidJunkie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:43 pm

Caleb26 wrote:Very nice. I've played Nitemare 3d looooong time ago - only episode 1. You can do something like Laz Rojas did with Wolf3d/SOD - different floors, ceilings + different heights in some sectors, shadows ect. You can also add score counter using Zdoom - very simple.


Yeah, something like that would work. I should get into learning how to make custom HUDs, though. I can do scores, just not visibly on an HUD yet. At one point, I'll replace the Doom HUD with the one from Nitemare 3D but I've never modified HUDs before.
User avatar
MetroidJunkie
 
Joined: 19 Aug 2011

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Postby ibm5155 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:23 pm

the game is strange, but the mod looks good :)
Just a noob question, did you created that hub face or it was on the original game? O_o
User avatar
ibm5155
Just Spooky
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2011

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Postby MetroidJunkie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:26 pm

ibm5155 wrote:the game is strange, but the mod looks good :)
Just a noob question, did you created that hub face or it was on the original game? O_o


Ha, no. It was in the original game;

Image
User avatar
MetroidJunkie
 
Joined: 19 Aug 2011

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Postby CeeJay » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:44 am




Don't know if it's still being worked on or not though
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Postby MetroidJunkie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:04 am

CeeJay wrote:

Don't know if it's still being worked on or not though


Yeah, I saw that but the video's over 4 years old.
User avatar
MetroidJunkie
 
Joined: 19 Aug 2011

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Postby Virtue » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:18 am

Ive never played this game but it has some pretty aweful graphics....
User avatar
Virtue
We Stand to Fight
 
Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Location: Manchester UK

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Postby Xaser » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:28 am

Heh, I remember having a lot of fun with Nitemare 3D as a kid. Thing is, if you're doing a ZDoom-based reboot, I'd rather see the direction go to full-on Doom-style mapping instead of sticking to Wolfenstein-ish bland corridors, to make the most out of a technical leap (and possibly make an even better game out of the result). Return of the Triad is an excellent example of this, for one.
User avatar
Xaser
anarchivist
 
 
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2003

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Postby MetroidJunkie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:52 am

Xaser wrote:Heh, I remember having a lot of fun with Nitemare 3D as a kid. Thing is, if you're doing a ZDoom-based reboot, I'd rather see the direction go to full-on Doom-style mapping instead of sticking to Wolfenstein-ish bland corridors, to make the most out of a technical leap (and possibly make an even better game out of the result). Return of the Triad is an excellent example of this, for one.


Well, keep in mind it's an extensive work in progress. I'd like to get more functionalities from the original game to work before I start focusing on improvements.

Image

The earlier Hugo games can give me an idea of how I can make aspects of the mansion look in a 3D space.
Last edited by MetroidJunkie on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MetroidJunkie
 
Joined: 19 Aug 2011

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Postby Tapwave » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:54 am

Looks interesting, hope you'll have fun working on this, i'm gonna put this on my watchlist.
User avatar
Tapwave
On the GREEN!
 
Joined: 20 Aug 2011
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Nitemare 3D Reborn

Postby Xaser » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:23 am

MetroidJunkie wrote:Well, keep in mind it's an extensive work in progress. I'd like to get more functionalities from the original game to work before I start focusing on improvements.

Some of the things you've been working on, like the teleport-stairs and dumbwaiters, are things that'd generally only make sense for a direct remake or similarly flat n' basic maps. If you move it past this, though, it could be neat.
User avatar
Xaser
anarchivist
 
 
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2003

Next

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests