SBrightmaps.pk3 - Doom IWAD Brightmaps

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Z86

SBrightmaps.pk3 - Doom IWAD Brightmaps

Post by Z86 »

This started as a brightmap pack for all sprites, thus the original name, but i eventually did the textures too, and the name just stuck. Interpret is as Super Brightmaps or Scary Brightmaps now.

This is the completion of the brightmap pack that came with PFEnhancer.

Basic premise:
- Monsters have glowy eyes
- Correctly lit objects (direct lights -> fullbright, indirect lights -> somewhere between light and dark, reflections -> no light, unless directly or indirectly lit)
- Much more scary and atmospheric in the dark :)

The work is based on the original Brightmaps.pk3 that comes with GZDoom, although it is similar to Virtue's Brightmap pack (Doom section) none of the brightmaps were taken from there, all are made from either scratch or from the aforementioned basic brightmap pack.

The file:
https://rapidshare.com/files/1120059050/Sbrightmaps.zip
http://www.2shared.com/file/pbuferDq/Sbrightmaps.html

Contains:
- Sbrightmaps.pk3 (the main file, good for normal Doom2)
- SBX_Plut.pk3 (plutonia extension, overwrites certain plutonia specific texture brightmaps)
- SBX_TNT.pk3 (TNT Evilution extension, overwrites certain TNT specific texture brightmaps)

Some screenies:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Z86 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CommanderZ

Re: SBrightmaps.pk3 - Doom IWAD Brightmaps

Post by CommanderZ »

Looks great. I like that the monsters' eyes glow all the time, not just when shooting.

But MegaUpload keeps telling me this:
The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
Z86

Post by Z86 »

Added alternate upload. Hopefully that'll work...

Now about the cyberdemon:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What do you think? If those thing on it's horn are reflections of it's indeed glowing eye, then they should glow as well.
Also the thing on it's rocket laucnher. Virtue's brightmaps consider it as a glowing part, some sort of laser sight or something. Is that indeed a laser sight, some wires or blood? Should it glow or not?
And last but not least: should the wires (like the stuff in it's stomach) emit some soft glow (thus pretty much solving the problems)?
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a laser sight; it's too bright to be blood, and there's no blood on the rest of the launcher.
CommanderZ

Post by CommanderZ »

This is definitely the best looking Doom brightmap set around :)

Just a little thing - I think the red-blue texture in the following screenshot is a little too bright, it makes the game look like a disco show (I think you should decrease the peak brightness to about a half half).
Spoiler:
Don't mind the screenshot itself being too bright, I have the game set up for fraps.
Average

Post by Average »

This is a great pk3. It really adds to the game's atmosphere... It's now a permanent fixture in my config!

As for the Cyberdemon; I'd go with it being a laser sight. I'd also presume the red on the horns to be gore (just to be on the safe side) and just make the eyes glow... It might look a little too 'comicky' to make these bits glow. Just the eyes glowing would be much more menacing!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I actually really like this little tweak. I agree with everyone else, it adds a great touch of atmosphere to any Doom-ing session. I especially like the glowing eyes, it's subtle but makes a big difference.
Z86

Post by Z86 »

I'm working on an update, aiming to be a final update (will be released when it's done - i'm aiming for next weekend):

changes:
- Added all light textures. I may separate this into an add-on, as certain people might find it better to not have LITEX textures glowing when the lights flicker or something, but this is also the case with TLITES and other flat lights that are in anyway so i figured why not all the lights. If it is requested, i may separate the lamps into a separate PK3 (including lights on flats).
- Added cyberdemon. This may need some tweaking, though, as i found the laser sight thingies too bright white at the end (need more steep gradient on them). Cybie eyes glow, and some light source reflections also glow on it.
- Refined spiderdemon and cyberdemon death. They now have more accurate lights and some indirect lights
- Refined some texture brightmaps. Namely: BRIKLITE (made brighter + added a missing row of glowing bricks), BSTONE3 (added a faint halo that is present on the texture, made it brighter), FIREBLU (reduced overall brightness and contrast)
- Added some new texture brightmaps: ROCKRED (highlights faintly glow as it animates - it's supposed to be reflected fire light i think), COMPBLUE, COMPOHSO, COMPTILE (they emit some glow on their blue parts - Note to myself: need to add the faint glow on the compblue switch...), STEP5 (weak light), STEP1 (is a weird one because DOOM2 has it's height doubled..., but it has a light on it...)

planned changes:
- Final Doom Textures packs, they'll be separate PK3s, because some textures overlap. Some textures will require quite a bit of work here...
- Remaking: Lost Soul (add some indirect lights on it), Pain Elemental (ugly), Torches (less light on their base)

future brightmapping goodnesses may include:
- Freedoom brightmap pack
- HacX brightmap pack
- Brightmaps for some Realm667 brightmaps
Nash

Post by Nash »

Isn't there already a complete brightmap pack for all IWADs already up at the FX Shoppe on Realm667?

(Disregard if you are the author of that pack)
Z86

Post by Z86 »

There is, and it's made by Virtue. This is something i started to make without knowing he made that, but later i was mildly influenced by it (like Cybedemon brightmaps in the new version, and some texture BM-s).

There are some differences between these two:
- Mine focuses solely on Doom, Virtue's BM pack contains Hexen and Heretic stuff too.
- The primary purpose of this pack was to enhance sprites, such as permanently glowing eyes on demons/zombies, correctly lit decorations and items.
- This is meant as an alternative for that, because i disliked some texture brightmaps in that pack (such as Gargoyle switches, Tech switches, TEKLITE textures, Containment Area ceiling lights - forgot the name of the flat, FIREBLU textures) - all with too steep contrasts.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Ah okay, understood. Well good luck with your project!
Legend

Post by Legend »

Looks awesome. Haven't actually gotten to try it out yet though.

I love the glowing eyes. The only thing I would like would be if the zombies had yellowish glowing eyes kinda like Legacy of Suffering. I find them more fitting and creepier than red eyes. At least for the zombies/chaingunners/sergeants. Like red glowing eyes for the revenants too in Legacy of suffering. Doesn't look like the revenant's eyes glow at all from the screenshot.
Z86

Post by Z86 »

I don't plan introducing sprite edits on this stand-alone brightmap pack, so red eyes remain for now.

Some new pics of the upcoming version:
Spoiler:
ChronoSeth

Post by ChronoSeth »

Why is the tip of the rocket glowing. o_O
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

ChronoSeth wrote:Why is the tip of the rocket glowing. o_O
Well, being in a dark room with rockets firing at you, and not being able to see them would probably suck pretty hard, for one thing. :P

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”