Regiguns (1.52)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
rollingcrow
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Regiguns (1.52)

Post by rollingcrow »

Regiguns - My first ever weapons and gameplay mod.

This mod is simply a group of weapons that continuously regenerate ammo. However, the fuel for your weapons is your armor. Everything that can deal damage in the game overall hit harder, and with the exception of the chainsaw, no longer deals random damage. Health and armor regenerate, and completely protect you. Cover is important, as the only other way for regenerate to begin is to pick up a battery. However, enabling classic mode in the class menu will cause the weapons to draw from their own pool.

Screenshots:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Older Screenshots:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Download Link - Use the latest SVN build.
All previous versions here.

Changes: v1.52 (06/10/2011)
- Added damage type specific pain flashes, update to the latest SVN!
- Removed the shield flash effect when no shields remain.

Weapons:
- Chainsaw - Painlocking melee weapon.
- Handgun - Fires in bursts with unlimited ammo.
- Scattergun - Strong against single tough enemies or small groups of weak ones.
- Assault Rifle - Rapid fire with low power. Alt-fire launches grenades.
- Rifle Grenade - Arms after flying a set distance, otherwise it will not detonate.
- Sniper Rifle - Shoots exploding projectile bullets with a 6.0x zoom scope.
- Destabilizer - Cuts through enemies like a knife.

Abilities:
- Slow - Sacrifice Energy to nearly freeze time. By default it is bound to C.

Items: (Small bonuses and stimpacks are gone.)
- Energy Cell - Restores 10 EP and restarts regeneration. Sometimes dropped by any enemy other than Cyberdemons and Spiderdemons.
- Bulk Cell - Restores 100 EP and restarts regeneration. Replaces the armor pickups and weapons. Sometimes dropped by Barons and Arch-Viles.
- First Aid - Replaces the medikit, restores health when depleted.
- Pentagram Sphere - Restores everything. Replaces the Soulsphere, Megasphere, Berserk, and backpack. Dropped by Cyberdemons and Spiderdemons.

Known Issues:
- Energy regeneration sometimes breaks when respawning in multiplayer.
- The player sometimes still 'lives' after death due to regeneration.
- This mod is not widescreen friendly.

Difficulty settings:
- Light - HMP spawn rate | 0.8x damage
- Normal - HMP spawn rate
- Difficult - UV spawn rate | 1.2x damage
- Hyper - UV spawn rate | 1.2x damage | Fast monsters
- Another - UV spawn rate | 2.0x damage | Fast monsters | Respawning monsters | Slowed regen speed - It's actually quite hard.
Spoiler: Older changelogs
Spoiler: A most likely incomplete list of credits
Last edited by rollingcrow on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 207 times in total.
Xaser

Re: [WIP] Regenerating Weapons

Post by Xaser »

Regiguns!
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Xaser wrote:Regiguns!
rollingcrow

Post by rollingcrow »

Xaser wrote:Regiguns!
Sounds a lot better! :lol:
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

If you rename it that, though, you're going to have to make the guns fire the four Regis. :P
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

So, what's the downside? I mean, what's preventing the player from being a cheap-arse and just hiding in a corner waiting for his ammo, health, and armor to regen?
Last edited by amv2k9 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
rollingcrow

Re: [WIP] Regiguns 0.15

Post by rollingcrow »

amv2k9 wrote:So, what's the downside? I mean, what's preventing the player from being a cheap-arse and just hiding in a corner waiting for his ammo health and armor to regen?
I'll probably add a delay to all the regeneration and have it slow down or even completely stop the regen while it's over 50%. So waiting for regen is only useful until your health and armor hit the halfway mark and forcing you to find pickups to speed it up. EDIT: A poll is up! Decide on it!

Or, I could make it even tougher by having only ammo regen and needing pickups to restore health and armor. Because right now, all ammo pickups are gone and the only two health pickups is a 34 HP item (replacing the medikit) and an item like Strife's stamina implant that gives 5 HP (replaces Berserk). Stimpacks and one point bonus items are planned to be removed.
Last edited by rollingcrow on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rollingcrow

Re: [WIP] Regiguns 0.20

Post by rollingcrow »

http://www.mediafire.com/?xqbaioa4bdyy3k6

Version 0.2 is released.

Changes:
- Added the rifle (edited Raiden rifle). [EDIT] - And forgot to add recoil!
- Added the shotgun (edited Auto-shotgun). - With recoil!
- Added the medikit and armor replacements, but no new sprites yet.
- Added tunnel vision while dying (edited version of Blox's tunnel vision).
- Added correct colors blood for certain enemies.
- New puff effect.
- Rifle and shotgun zombies are harder and faster.
- I might have forgotten something.

There's no health or armor regeneration yet. The HUD isn't in yet, either. All other credits are in the CREDITS lump.
Last edited by rollingcrow on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ethril

Re: [WIP + Poll] Regiguns 0.20

Post by Ethril »

Image?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Ethril: Yes.

Hmm, I actually think this is a pretty neat concept (though I suppose it's easy to compare with how CoD or similar does things, but whatever), which might be a lot of fun if pulled off right.

I do think the system needs a few tweaks before it does so, though. Right now, the power balance is all over the place -- everything seems to seriously be on the OP side, since there's really no need to use anything but the rifle currently. The system as a whole, I think, should be set up so that all guns use a common regenerating ammotype and weapons themselves are balanced such that the more powerful they are, the quicker they eat up ammo and the more often you have to break between shots. For example, you should be able to use the pistol for a day and a half, but the rifle can only go full-auto for a few rounds before having to recharge (its current ammo use is just about right). Then maybe later you can add things like a powerful railgun that takes 100 ammo to fire, naturally requiring a recharge afterwards.

Having said that, the current recharge rate might even be a bit fast as it is. But maybe not -- might be best left up to experimentation -- Tyrian got along well with a quick recharge rate (though admittedly, the way it was set up, the idea behind generators was to get one good enough to have regen quick enough so that it's impossible to deplete the energy reserves).

[EDIT] Actually, speaking of Tyrian, a similar health regen mechanic would work well, I think. In Tyrian, the same power source was used for both shield regeneration and weapon fire, meaning that if you were stressing your generator with weapons that suck a lot of power, you'd have to let up on the trigger to allow room for the shields to recharge. Makes for interesting strategy, there. Also, "Generator" powerups that affect recharge rate aren't a bad idea either.

In short: Lower pistol/shotgun ammo usage, lower damage all around, and maybe decrease recharge rate. That'd help.

Oh, and you shouldn't use Runhealth. Runhealth is bad. Very, very bad. :P
rollingcrow

Post by rollingcrow »

A generator powerup sounds like a great idea, and the armor / ammo system also sounds pretty interesting. :)
RunHealth is now gone also.

For the ammo, I have changed the rifle / shotgun / planned sniper rifle ammo pool to charge up slower than the pistol, and the two other weapons (the arm cannon and the spamming cannon) will draw out of their own pool of ammo and recharge even slower. The only reason why the pistol charges up so fast and uses a seperate ammo pool so it serves as a fallback weapon while your main gun ammo pool is recharging. I will probably nerf the weapons a bit since every gun can kill a Hell Knight in a single full charge or less, except for the pistol where it takes exactly 13 shots to kill one.

Also, how are the zombieman and shotgunguy replacements? Overpowered? Too weak?

EDIT:
Spoiler: Future Changelog
Last edited by rollingcrow on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
PhAyzoN

Post by PhAyzoN »

Ethril wrote:Image?
This was my first thought as well :D

I suppose I'll try this out though.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Since you are including recoil, could there possibly be a togglable option to turn the recoil on/off? Beacuse generally I don't like it and some times I use keyboard only.

I know it will require some extra work but I think it would worth the effort.
Xaser wrote:The system as a whole, I think, should be set up so that all guns use a common regenerating ammotype and weapons themselves are balanced such that the more powerful they are, the quicker they eat up ammo and the more often you have to break between shots.
Agree.
rollingcrow

Post by rollingcrow »

Since you are including recoil, could there possibly be a togglable option to turn the recoil on/off? Beacuse generally I don't like it and some times I use keyboard only.
Okay, I'll add another class that uses the same set of weapons but the recoil is just a bounce that doesn't affect your aim.
KingShinra

Post by KingShinra »

Aside from the actual awesome idea of regenerating ammo guns...

...Reggie's Guns is funnier.

Dude, COMPLETE THIS PROJECT. You've stumbled upon epic Reggieness.

So far, 9.7/10. Without the Regi/Reggie references, 8.8/10.

Upon completion, possible 11/10.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”