[WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 3 Out]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
Demolisher
Posts: 1749
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:59 pm
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: Winchester, VA

[WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 3 Out]

Post by Demolisher »

Update!

Look at the changelog or todo list in the pk3 for details.

Features
  • Maps!
  • More Skills!
  • Less Bugs!
  • Crashes often!
Spoiler: old
Download Beta 1 from DRDTeam
Download Beta 2 from DRDTeam
Download Beta 3 from DRDTeam

Please post info on bugs, even if you can't reproduce them.
Spoiler: Credits
Now for the content:
Spoiler: Skill Menu as of now
Spoiler: Player downed, and in last stand mode
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Demolisher on Sun May 13, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
User avatar
Zhs2
Posts: 1276
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:29 pm
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: [WIP] Doom RPG (No Real Name Yet)

Post by Zhs2 »

The funny thing about these RPG projects is that it's difficult to find a good play balance without shoving a whole bunch of numbers for the player to pay attention to in their face (which, in most cases, tends to be spelled out in those egregious-to-my-eyes fonts Doom has going on) and a large number of choices down their throats when the time comes to 'level up.' No offense to your current system or anything, but it looks a bit overcomplicated to pay attention to - something I've done my best to avoid when developing that one custom RPG mod nobody can really say anything about these days do to my laziness and Naniyue's inherent busyness these days...

Keep working on it, and try to find a good balance between simplicity and complexity - the less the player has to pay attention to when he's raping demons in the face with shells, the better; the more features that are original yet dumbed down enough that the player can use them on the fly, the better as well.
User avatar
Davidos
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:52 am

Re: [WIP] Doom RPG (No Real Name Yet)

Post by Davidos »

Last stand looks awesome, get knocked down and get a second wind from eliminating the freaks that made ya hurt in the first place.

Can't wait for a beta release, then I'll decide if I can be of value or not >.>;
User avatar
Salad Viking
Posts: 752
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:58 pm
Location: In high orbit

Re: [WIP] Doom RPG (No Real Name Yet)

Post by Salad Viking »

I love FPRPGs. I hope this one gets finished, because I haven't seen a good complete one for Doom as of yet.
User avatar
amv2k9
Posts: 2178
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:05 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: [WIP] Doom RPG (No Real Name Yet)

Post by amv2k9 »

Salad Viking wrote:I love FPRPGs. I hope this one gets finished, because I haven't seen a good complete one for Doom as of yet.
Inheritance, though it may not be completely complete, it is fun nonetheless. And Psychic.
Zhs2 wrote:The funny thing about these RPG projects is that it's difficult to find a good play balance without shoving a whole bunch of numbers for the player to pay attention to in their face (which, in most cases, tends to be spelled out in those egregious-to-my-eyes fonts Doom has going on) and a large number of choices down their throats when the time comes to 'level up.'
Agreed. Doom's a fast-paced arcadey FPS; best to keep that in mind when designing RPG mods. Menu stuff ought to be kept to a minimum, and made so that you can upgrade & choose stats/whatever as quickly & fluidly as possible.

My idea:
Instead of directly upgrading stats at each level up, you could have a "Style Selection", where each "Style" upgrades stats in a certain way. For example, you might have a "Heavy Weapons" Style which improves the use of weaponry such as the Rocket Launcher & BFG, and a "Scout" Style which improves light weapons proficiency & movement speed. Upgrade your Styles in a certain way, and you could access Perks, a la Fallout.

Last Stand mode looks neato; I seem to remember Prey having something like this?
User avatar
Demolisher
Posts: 1749
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:59 pm
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: Winchester, VA

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 1 Out]

Post by Demolisher »

Updated FP, and put a beta up.
User avatar
ZDG
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:01 pm
Location: in SlumpEd

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 1 Out]

Post by ZDG »

It's pretty good, but i have some complaints:
The weapon construct menu is UNUSABLE. You can select a weapon, but it instantly selects something, without letting you do anything (I also don't really understand how do you construct weapons)
The ssg view pitch changing animation is pissing me off, it's ok to move the pitch, but the pitch lowering that occurs when you load/close the SSG isn't sufficent to compensate the pitch-up that occurs when you open it, you'll always have to manually adjust your view. (IDK if you actually wanted hat to happen).
That's all, it's pretty cool otherwise.
User avatar
Demolisher
Posts: 1749
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:59 pm
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: Winchester, VA

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 1 Out]

Post by Demolisher »

ZDG wrote:It's pretty good, but i have some complaints:
The weapon construct menu is UNUSABLE. You can select a weapon, but it instantly selects something, without letting you do anything (I also don't really understand how do you construct weapons)
The ssg view pitch changing animation is pissing me off, it's ok to move the pitch, but the pitch lowering that occurs when you load/close the SSG isn't sufficent to compensate the pitch-up that occurs when you open it, you'll always have to manually adjust your view. (IDK if you actually wanted hat to happen).
That's all, it's pretty cool otherwise.
The weapon upgrade system isn't finished yet, I'm still working on that, and the ssg pitch animation is a bit too much, I'll admit.
User avatar
TheDoomGuy
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:08 am

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 1 Out]

Post by TheDoomGuy »

I've encountered a bug. I've maxed out the Pistol, and I'm not a high enough level to get anything else, yet it says I must distribute my points... because of this, I'm stuck in the menu. :shock:
User avatar
Demolisher
Posts: 1749
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:59 pm
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: Winchester, VA

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 1 Out]

Post by Demolisher »

TheDoomGuy wrote:I've encountered a bug. I've maxed out the Pistol, and I'm not a high enough level to get anything else, yet it says I must distribute my points... because of this, I'm stuck in the menu. :shock:
I'll put the ability to save your skill points, and exit and reenter the menu at will on my to do list. Also, did you realize there are multiple categories of skills? Left and Right changes the category.
User avatar
TheDoomGuy
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:08 am

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 1 Out]

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Demolisher wrote:
TheDoomGuy wrote:I've encountered a bug. I've maxed out the Pistol, and I'm not a high enough level to get anything else, yet it says I must distribute my points... because of this, I'm stuck in the menu. :shock:
I'll put the ability to save your skill points, and exit and reenter the menu at will on my to do list. Also, did you realize there are multiple categories of skills? Left and Right changes the category.
Ah, yes. There we are.

This mod is amazing, truly. I love it. I noticed a lot of little things you did...it's great. i eagerly await the final version... even using it with plain old Doom2.wad, I got nearly half-way through the game. :D

I would be more than glad to help you with this. I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I can sprite, map and do graphics. If you had some new monsters, weapons, and maps on your hands, this would be a legendary project.
User avatar
ChronoSeth
Posts: 1631
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:04 pm
Location: British Columbia

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 1 Out]

Post by ChronoSeth »

This mod's pretty awesome. Looking forward to future versions.

BTW, I found a major bug. If you enter a menu and somehow manage to exit the level, you wind up frozen and the menu is nowhere to be found (I was in the weapon upgrade menu... not sure if that actually works yet)
User avatar
Demolisher
Posts: 1749
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:59 pm
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: Winchester, VA

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 1 Out]

Post by Demolisher »

ChronoSeth wrote:(I was in the weapon upgrade menu... not sure if that actually works yet)
It does not work yet, and I will either implement it, or remove the option to get to the menu in the next beta. I tried to clean out most of the stuff I didn't complete, but I forgot about that menu.

Also, I just discovered Homing Rounds skill does nothing currently, so don't bother with it.
User avatar
Demolisher
Posts: 1749
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:59 pm
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: Winchester, VA

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 1 Out]

Post by Demolisher »

Just added homing rounds, was tinkering with the A_SeekerMissile Properties, had a lot of laughs when I shot the ssg, and the bullets went EVERYWHERE, chasing down enemies. Also, it appears it will no longer run with SVN versions, due to GZDoom saying "OH NOES YOU ARE REPLACING THE MAPINFOS", so I had to change the name of Mapinfo/Common.txt to something else. Will release an updated beta soon. (Like a few hours soon)

Beta 2 won't be much different, except for new skill additions, the finishing of more of the stock enemies to their new versions, the ssg recoil, and the menu freeze not resetting.

Beta 3 stuffs:
Will include a small "Demo Campaign" that will include marine interaction, and assignments (Quests). Also, I need to finish my random sidequest addition, and link it to the objectives screen.
User avatar
TheDoomGuy
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:08 am

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Doom RPG [Beta 1 Out]

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Demolisher wrote:Just added homing rounds, was tinkering with the A_SeekerMissile Properties, had a lot of laughs when I shot the ssg, and the bullets went EVERYWHERE, chasing down enemies. Also, it appears it will no longer run with SVN versions, due to GZDoom saying "OH NOES YOU ARE REPLACING THE MAPINFOS", so I had to change the name of Mapinfo/Common.txt to something else. Will release an updated beta soon. (Like a few hours soon)

Beta 2 won't be much different, except for new skill additions, the finishing of more of the stock enemies to their new versions, the ssg recoil, and the menu freeze not resetting.

Beta 3 stuffs:
Will include a small "Demo Campaign" that will include marine interaction, and assignments (Quests). Also, I need to finish my random sidequest addition, and link it to the objectives screen.
I am eagerly awaiting subsequent releases. Beta 1 is addictive... I felt the desire to keep going to get better upgrades. Please finish this. :P

Return to “Gameplay Mods”