[Resource] Doom Pre-Release Art [UPDATE! on Pg. 1]

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Captain Awesome

[Resource] Doom Pre-Release Art [UPDATE! on Pg. 1]

Post by Captain Awesome »

DOWNLOAD

Taken straight from the Readme:
[...]I am releasing something that is technically not very new. I spent over 6 hours yesterday and 3 hours today working on this project. I began by compiling the various early releases of Doom that I could get my hands on. I then extracted all the art from the various wads using XWE and DeuTex. I then used Duplicate File Finder by Brooks Younce Software to find files that were binary identical. Therefor there are still a few files here and there which will appear near identical to the human eye, but on the binary level they are different. Then I used Irfanview to batch convert the surviving .BMPs into .PNGs which were then compressed using PNGOUT. I then took these .PNGs into Adobe Photoshop CS3 where I batch converted them into their current palette. Most of these tiles are rather useless, but still good for a look, and I had an interest to see what was different for myself.

NOTE: Multiple instances of the same tile were also removed. In some cases some of the rotations of an Imp or Lost Soul were the same, these were also removed in this process as it would have taken almost double the time for me to discern what should stay. I am sorry if this creates some sort of inconvenience. If you want to see the original tile structure, download the appropriate .WAD and look for yourself. I'm sorry if this is an inconvenience. Also some nonsense and utterly useless placeholder tiles were removed from very early versions.

VERSIONS OF DOOM THAT WERE COMPARED:
------------------------------------------
-- 0.2 Alpha --
-- 0.4 Alpha --
-- 0.5 Alpha --
-- 0.99/1.00 Alpha Shareware --
-- 1.1 Shareware --
-- 1.2 Shareware --
--*1.25 Shareware* --
-- 1.4 Beta Shareware --
--*1.5 Beta Shareware* --
--*1.6 Beta Shareware* --
--*1.666 Shareware* --
--*1.8 Shareware* --
-- Press Release Beta, Oct. 4, 1993 --
------------------------------------------
The various versions above marked with asterisks did not include any tiles that came up unique. As such nothing from them is included in this resource pack.

All of these tiles are saved as 256 colour .PNGs, compressed with PNGOUT, with a Doom palette using transparency instead of cyan.

Thanks to id Software, idGames' Historical Archive, DoomWorld.com, Zdoom.org, DRDTeam for their file hosting service, Ken Silverman for PNGOUT, and the creators of DeuTex, XWE, Irfanview, 7-zip, and Duplicate File Finder. Thanks to anyone else I forgot!

DOWNLOAD
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duducrazy

Re: [Resource] Pre-Release Art

Post by Duducrazy »

WTF!? i'm getting a 404 page when i try to download.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

DRD is in the middle of a server change. I hope it won't take too long. Eruanna estimated about 6 hours if all goes well.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Note that SLADE3 can browse, read, extract and convert all these resources directly from the sources. ;)
Captain Awesome wrote:a standard Cyan transparency Doom palette
:glare:
RAAAAAAAAAAAGGEEEEEEE!
ZDG

Post by ZDG »

I HATE WHEN PEOPLE CREATE BMP WITH CYAN.
Because YOU WILL have to remove THE DAMN CYAN AFTERWARDS!
Captain Awesome

Would you prefer a PNG with transparency version or what?

Gez, I've never tried out Slade, to be honest. :oops: I know XWE sucks, but I've just always used it. :lol: (I had to use DeuTex because XWE cannot read the press release beta's wad properly.)
ZDG

Post by ZDG »

Captain Awesome wrote:Would you prefer a PNG with transparency version or what?
EXACTLY.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Just the fact that the download file is ~7MB, and the expanded on is ~30MB, says something about the wasted space of BMPs... PNGs with transparency would be a better choice for sure.

Still, good work! I'm happy to have these resources available in such a centralized form! :D

8-)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Well, you can now use SLADE3 for reading every graphic format you needed DeuTex for, and you know what? SLADE3 can even read correctly a couple of formats that DeuTex can't! I reverse-engineered them myself. (Okay, they really weren't anything complicated.) Which means there are some graphics that your resource probably does not contain, heh.

Unfortunately, with both MancuNET and DRD Team down at the moment, there's no place to download SLADE3.
printz

Post by printz »

Gez wrote:Well, you can now use SLADE3 for reading every graphic format you needed DeuTex for, and you know what? SLADE3 can even read correctly a couple of formats that DeuTex can't! I reverse-engineered them myself. (Okay, they really weren't anything complicated.) Which means there are some graphics that your resource probably does not contain, heh.

Unfortunately, with both MancuNET and DRD Team down at the moment, there's no place to download SLADE3.
Looks like you're talking a lot about SLADE3, implying that you're actively working on it. Does this mean we'll finally get to see your name in the About box? :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

I don't care much about getting in the about box, honestly. Technically, my contributions have been fairly minor; I'm just adding little bits that I'd like to have and can figure out myself.

Like recently I made code to open the Jaguar Doom IWAD (which is a normal IWAD, except it's big endian instead of little endian, so it can't be opened with normal tools as everything will seem wrong). But it turns out nearly all the lumps are compressed/encrypted with LZSS, which means that they're unreadable. To add support for it, one would need to change how entries are handled, so that encrypted or compressed entries are marked as such, and can be decrypted or decompressed before being identified. That's more work than I feel like doing, so I dropped it.

At the moment I want to implement some sort of translation table feature. You know how player sprites in Hexen use a translation table, right? I'd like to have a translation table chooser drop-down like there is a palette chooser at the moment. Then you could create custom translation tables and use them to quickly do sprite recolors.
printz

Post by printz »

How am I supposed to extract the files? I tried Explorer, then I renamed them to .7z and used WinRAR, then I renamed them to .rar and again WinRAR, to no avail. As a last resort, I'm downloading WinZIP.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

7zip should work. I'm not sure what format they're in, but that's the program I use and it worked flawlessly. Screw WinRAR/ZIP.

8-)
printz

Post by printz »

I used WinZIP and it worked. I hope the collection is Awesome.

EDIT: Hey, the liquid flats from the 0.4 folder... Weren't they recycled from Shadowcaster? I can see them in a texture pack for a megawad I'm contributing to, they're prefixed as being taken from SC (Shadowcaster).
Captain Awesome

I used 7zip to zip them. I'm working on a new release this very moment. Which has PNG's, run through PNGOUT, with a transparent Doom palette. Stay tuned.

Return to “Resources”