Drop weapon glitch for ammo

These bugs do plan to be resolved, when they can be.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Macil
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Drop weapon glitch for ammo

Post by Macil »

This has probably been known since forever, but, in cooperative mode, if you pick up a gun such as a rocketlauncher, drop the gun with the "drop rocketlauncher" console command, and then re-grab the rocketlauncher (not the one dropped), you get 2 extra rockets. And this can be repeated to build up ammo.

This glitch can also be used in deathmatch mode if "weapons stay" is turned on.

Maybe it could be changed so if you drop a weapon, you drop the original ammo amount (if you have that much in your inventory). That would at most allow you to regain the original given amount of ammo, which I'd think is not a bad thing for the game to do.
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Drop weapon glitch for ammo

Post by Remmirath »

It is the same as this one:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17110

Fixed a while ago...
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

No, it's not. This one references the DROP command in the console. Confirmed.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

I'm not really sure what to do here besides disallow the dropping of weapons entirely, which I'd rather avoid. (Weaponstay can be toggled on and off with immediate effects, so it wouldn't be enough to just prevent dropping when weaponstay is on.)
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Do you currently drop any ammo with the dropped weapon? What happens when other people pick it up, do they get ammo?

I would think, if possible, the best solution would be to do as Agent ME suggests and drop the weapon along with the amount of ammo you normally start with (or whatever ammo you have for the weapon, whichever is less). Then the worst you could do is drop a weapon you have no ammo for and pick up another copy of it to get back up to the starting ammo. Admittedly, that's still an issue, but it's a lesser one...

Or, given that dropping a weapon is presumably to help out a teammate, maybe you could refuse to drop the weapon if the player's ammo is empty, since that shouldn't be useful to anyone anyway....
Project Shadowcat

HotWax wrote:Do you currently drop any ammo with the dropped weapon?
No.
What happens when other people pick it up, do they get ammo?
That specific weapon you dropped has zero ammo. I'm not sure why it's a special case.

ED: A suggestion is to flag weapons as picked up even when they're dropped. The only way they can recover the weapon is through another dropped weapon, whether by death, or here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

All suggestions being done here are hacks. I think the only solution is to flag a weapon as being picked up so that each player can only get ammo once from it. Everything else is just doctoring at the symptoms without a cure.
Project Shadowcat

Yay, I feel smart. <3
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, your suggestion doesn't help. The handling for dropped weapons is ok. It's the handling for placed weapons that isn't.
Project Shadowcat

Killjoy. :(
Macil
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Macil »

Graf Zahl wrote:I think the only solution is to flag a weapon as being picked up so that each player can only get ammo once from it.
That sounds like the perfect solution. Could this be implemented?
Spleen

Post by Spleen »

Graf Zahl wrote:All suggestions being done here are hacks. I think the only solution is to flag a weapon as being picked up so that each player can only get ammo once from it. Everything else is just doctoring at the symptoms without a cure.
So basically, each weapon would have a flag for every player. Sounds like a lot.

It seems simpler to flag a player, whether they picked up a certain kind of weapon at some point, or even started with it. For example, Bob can only get ammo from shotguns once, even if he drops a shotgun and tries to pick up another one. This would be exactly the same behavior as disabling dropping weapons in terms of ammo (each player can get ammo from each weapon type once), but it would allow players to drop weapons in order to give them to other players.

I'd be willing to work on this, but I wish to clarify the best solution first.

HotWax wrote:Or, given that dropping a weapon is presumably to help out a teammate, maybe you could refuse to drop the weapon if the player's ammo is empty, since that shouldn't be useful to anyone anyway....
Not necessarily. How about giving someone a chaingun? They might have bullets from their pistol already.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Spleen wrote:
It seems simpler to flag a player, whether they picked up a certain kind of weapon at some point, or even started with it. For example, Bob can only get ammo from shotguns once, even if he drops a shotgun and tries to pick up another one.

And that would whack the balance of how many existing multiplayer WADs?
Spleen

Post by Spleen »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Spleen wrote:
It seems simpler to flag a player, whether they picked up a certain kind of weapon at some point, or even started with it. For example, Bob can only get ammo from shotguns once, even if he drops a shotgun and tries to pick up another one.

And that would whack the balance of how many existing multiplayer WADs?
Not many I would think, since the amount of ammo players get would be exactly the same as playing with weapon stay right now, without abusing the drop glitch. With weapon stay off, Bob would still be able to get ammo from every shotgun. This is just for weapon stay on.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Spleen wrote: And that would whack the balance of how many existing multiplayer WADs?
Not many I would think, since the amount of ammo players get would be exactly the same as playing with weapon stay right now, without abusing the drop glitch. With weapon stay off, Bob would still be able to get ammo from every shotgun. This is just for weapon stay on.[/quote]

This change won't be implemented because it's not a fix! It's replacing one problem with a much more serious one. Better forget it immediately.

Return to “On Hold Bugs”