Highres Sprites and Textures

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
SyntherAugustus

Highres Sprites and Textures

Post by SyntherAugustus »

how do I implement highres sprites and textures?
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10 22H2, Win11 22H2, macOS 11.7
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by wildweasel »

For sprites: Make a series of large sprites to replace existing ones. Then, create a DeHackEd patch, and find the Thing # of the thing you just replaced, and add the following tag:

Code: Select all

Scale = X
where X is equal to any number from 0 to 1. Use a decimal. For instance, if you want something to be 50% of its original size, set X to 0.5.

For textures: I only know that it has something to do with the TEXTURES lump. I'm sure somebody else can help with that.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

They can also be displayed larger, but that's not so popular, apparently.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

as far as I know the only editor that currently supports using hires texturesi s deepsea. to make use of them open up the texture editor (f7 I think) and go to that spot where you edit textures and there should be a field for scale. play around with those values a bit. here's a sort of example map: http://doom.vect.org:8080/other/quartermap01.zip which is map01 srunk down to 25% of its normal size, including all the monsters and the player, though there's no way to change the spawn height of projectiles or the player's view height, so I recommend the chasecam.
zarcyb

Post by zarcyb »

Heh cyb that WAD rules. It's great fun playing it on other maps :) mini monsters!
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

My Gosh! That quartermap is hard! It's very difficult to get the darn aim right. Well, that's definately about as good of an example as you can get with this hires texture stuff. Study the wad closely...

[FUTURE-EDIT] It's "definitely." Get it right, past-me!
Last edited by Xaser on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

DeePsea certainly allows the creation of Hi-res textures as Cyb said. XWE will allow it as well. I find DeePsea the easier of the 2 to do this in, but XWE is a damn fine tool too. XWE has less Doom editing functions of the 2 but it has support for resource extraction from many other games which you may find fun to play around with.

Just in case - lynx

DeePSea

http://www.sbsoftware.com/

XWE

http://doomworld.com/xwe/
Lumpy

Scaling in XWE

Post by Lumpy »

How do I scale textures in XWE? I went to their site and it has nothing as far as help. I then used it to open up one of my wads that has a texture lump. Upon selecting the texture lump I saw that there were feilds for x-scale, and y-scale. I put in a new graphic (one certainly bigg than allowed by standard Doom), added it to the Texture lump. I then put in random values for x/y, and saved it. After doing so I tested the wad, and was unable to discertain any noticible difference. I then went back and pushed it to it's limit off 160 for x and y. My obvious thinking is "Now the texture should be really freaking small." Well I thought wrong. The texture looked exactly the same as before. So what did I do wrong? Can anyone help me please.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Not sure what you did wrong, but the values are as follows

0=1
8=1
16=0.5
32=0.25...

so, putting a value of 16 in a scale field should scale the texture to 0.5 its normal length in that direction.

Eg a 256x256 texture with an x scale of 16 and a y scale of 32 will effectively be 128x64

The only thing I can think of is it's the texture size that gets scaled, not the patch. Just putting a big patch into a WAD and applying scale values to the texture it's in will get unexpected results. So, add your big patch, modify the texture it is in to be bigger (the same size as the patch usually) and then apply your scale values.

DeePSea gives you immediate feedback by telling you the effective new size, and when you click OK, it scales the graphic appropriately in the preview window too so that you can see what it will look like. Moreover, after that, DeePSea treats the texture as the scaled size in the map editor for offset calculations and so on. Not sure how XWE does all that.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

I think I understand now. It goes in multiples of 8. I didn't notice a difference at first because I choose random values and couldn't tell. But now thanks to your info I now have my Mega-Man wallpaper in a wad.

Thank you

Return to “Editing (Archive)”