STARTUP screen not windowed but fullscreen, changable?

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Tormentor667

STARTUP screen not windowed but fullscreen, changable?

Post by Tormentor667 »

Dead fellows,

recently I noticed that the startup screen (e.g. the Hexen STARTUP.DAT) is being displayed fullscreen instead of windowed as it was before. If it is fullscreen and 5:4 in ration, black empty space is displayed to the graphics right and left. Can this somehow be forced being displayed as a window again before the game launches to fullscreen?

Fullscreen (as it is with recent GZDooms):

Windowed (as it was in the past):
dpJudas

Re: STARTUP screen not windowed but fullscreen, changable?

Post by dpJudas »

Not without considerable work. The old startup window code was completely rewritten in order to make it cross platform and behave more like most other modern games.

I might improve how it displays things during startup, since I'm not entirely happy with the fixed resolution and how complicated it is to make it look more fancy, but I do not have any plans for making the load screen its own window again. For example, with your startup screen, I'd rather have it fill out the sides with that dark blue color than have it show up in a window.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I'd be okay filling it out but how would I do this? I thought the STARTUP.DAT has a fixed resolution and can't be made multi-resolution compatible anyway? (e.g. 16:9, 21:9, 5:4, etc)
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

You're right - you can't do it right now. But I think we need something better instead of that old Hexen startup.dat where you have more flexibility (including animation, maybe movie playback) while it loads the game.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

The new code has at least eliminated the requirement for using the old file formats, though, which is nice.

The STARTUP background graphic still has to be 640x480, but as long as it's a graphic the engine can read it will load. Same for NOTCH, minus the size requirement.

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”