[Release] The Code-Based Visual FX Suite (aka, CodeFX), now v2.0!

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

[Release] The Code-Based Visual FX Suite (aka, CodeFX), now v2.0!

Post by BrettBotTheCryonaut »

Greetings all! Over the last year while working on the D64ifier and other projects, I've picked up, adapted, and developed a bunch of tricks for creating enhanced visual effects without the need for any new sprites or textures, so I've bundled them all together into one mod.
CodeFX.jpg
New update released - v2.0!
Almost the entire mod has been either re-written or overhauled. Fire looks ten times better than before but has extensive optimization tricks to prevent FPS murdering. Plasma blasts completely revamped to look much more impressive but also grounded in reality. Blood visuals improved while also including tricks to prevent overload. New liquid shaders for flats and falls (not in GLES though). New improvements for the fire wall textures to both animation and coloring. I've also made two optional add-on packs; one for fire and one for blood, which upgrade the visuals with new sprites.
Video from v1: https://youtu.be/jvcHqGwsNps
Video of v2's fire add-on: https://youtu.be/eLEiewj3WaE
Download: https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-code-bas ... codefx-v20

(Original Description)
This is a collection of basically every single trick in the book for adding enhanced visuals to Doom,
without a single new graphic of any kind being used. This is composed entirely of GZDoom text lumps, such as
decorate, gldefs, texture defs, and terrain defs.
The following new visual enhancements are included:
- Enhanced particle effects for explosive barrels, featuring smoke rising, nukage splashing, and green flames
- Enhanced particle effects for rocket explosions, featuring sparks, smoke, and burnt chunks of debris
- Enhanced particle effects for fireballs, featuring smoke, trailing flames, and explosive fiery impacts
- Enhanced particle effects for plasma blasts, featuring crackling electricity mixed with brightly colored smoke
- Deep liquid (floor clipping) for water, nukage, blood, mud/slime, and lava
- Smoothed out animations for all flat liquid plus warp effects
- Smoothed out multi-layered animations for all liquid falls (including lava falls for megawads that use them)
- Randomized frame speeds for animated textures that feature fire or liquids dripping
- Smoothed animations for the glowing red rock wall textures
- Certain textures are now brightmapped by using themselves as their own brightmaps
- FIREBLU iS nOw PsYcHeDeLiC!
- Glow settings for many flats to simulate things like light fixtures casting light, liquids giving off light, and
certain environments just having their own coloration similar to Playstation Doom.

SPECIAL THANKS TO...
- Z86 for his "Particle Fire Enhancer" mod, which taught me about spawning particles in all sorts of different ways to achieve different visual effects.
- Kazudra & Jakie for their "Subtle Lighting" and "More Lights" mods, which I learned about texture glows from.
- Rachael for her "Smooth Liquids" resource post, which taught me about creating custom animated textures and also gave me the idea to see how much I could do without the need for new graphics, thus inspiring this whole mod in the first place.
- The ZDoom Wiki, which I spent so much time on it probably constitutes half of the time I spent working on this.
- Anyone who has ever created a resource for GZDoom or written a post/reply explaining something here on the ZDoom forums. This community is amazing.
Last edited by BrettBotTheCryonaut on Thu May 04, 2023 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Release] The Code-Based Visual FX Suite (aka, CodeFX)

Post by cosmos10040 »

I didnt see any comments So i want to say good job with this addon. I use on mobile with hdest. I have question, I like the barrel visual affect but it overwrites the coded explosion for hdest. Anyway for me to combine both? The visual explosions be it toxic or fire with the damaging shrapnel action of hdest? Thanks
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

Hmm, this is pretty cool, but I feel the "explosion" effects on a lot of projectiles feels like too much (imp fireballs explode into a lot of huge flames and for such a low tier fodder enemy it feels exageratted), it also may be a bit laggy, but I generally love the idea of an effect pack that doesn't add any new graphics, as it should be compatible with texturepacks/sprite replacers and such, right?
BrettBotTheCryonaut

cosmos10040 wrote:I didnt see any comments So i want to say good job with this addon. I use on mobile with hdest. I have question, I like the barrel visual affect but it overwrites the coded explosion for hdest. Anyway for me to combine both? The visual explosions be it toxic or fire with the damaging shrapnel action of hdest? Thanks
Thanks! I've never even heard of hdest, so I have no idea. If it is replacing the barrels with a new version using Decorate though, then I could easily create a compatibility patch by just copying my code and adding it on to the new barrel from that mod. I'll try to remember to look into it.
Craneo wrote:Hmm, this is pretty cool, but I feel the "explosion" effects on a lot of projectiles feels like too much (imp fireballs explode into a lot of huge flames and for such a low tier fodder enemy it feels exageratted), it also may be a bit laggy, but I generally love the idea of an effect pack that doesn't add any new graphics, as it should be compatible with texturepacks/sprite replacers and such, right?
Agreed! As soon as I get the damn D64ifier 1.0 released I'll be returning to this to make adjustments.
Maximum compatibility with other mods is one of the goals of this mod, but there are a few things it currently doesn't know how to take into account. For example, if you have a mod that replaces imp fireball sprites with blue projectiles, they will still create red flames. The only way I can think of to fix that would be to have the flames be created from particles made up of whatever sprite is being used for the projectile that spawns them. I'll have to play around with it. HOWEVER: I did confirm this works great with the Doom 3 texture pack. :)
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Just updated this to version 1.03. Nothing revolutionary, just finally fixed the colors of imp flames so they are more yellow+red instead of white+red, made the explosions from imp fireballs much less extreme, improved the behavior of flames to have more realistic physics and more random sizing / durations, and made water a little more interesting.

Hoping to get a menu created for the next update that allows each feature to be toggled on /off.
dDefinder

Post by dDefinder »

Great improvements from the previous version. Any plans on changing revenant rockets? Also a bug with caco attacks and that they will count as getting hit by their exploding projectile after it hits a wall
nmonte

Post by nmonte »

Great addon, somehow addon creators ignored imp fireballs for too long. But when playing with SoldierZ, imp fireballs create too much particles, which results in terrible slowdown.
Everything's fine without SoldierZ, tho. Is it possible to make a compatibility patch?
BrettBotTheCryonaut

dDefinder wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:06 am Great improvements from the previous version. Any plans on changing revenant rockets? Also a bug with caco attacks and that they will count as getting hit by their exploding projectile after it hits a wall
Hey! Sorry I took so long to reply to this! I got reeeeeeally distracted, burnt out, and distracted again for a few months there.
But thank you. Working on wrapping up the next version right now which will indeed include enhanced revenant rockets.
How could caco projectiles be capable of counting as anything after hitting a wall? They should be simply playing their death animation at that point. I'm a little confused by that.

Side-Note: dD's Weapon Sounds is my favorite weapon sound pack for Doom.
nmonte wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:20 am ...when playing with SoldierZ, imp fireballs create too much particles, which results in terrible slowdown.
Everything's fine without SoldierZ, tho. Is it possible to make a compatibility patch?
I've never heard of SoldierZ but I'll check it out and see if I can figure out what it is doing to the imp fireballs to make them go into overdrive like that.

To-do list for next version: embers randomly floating in different directions, ambient fog, floor decals, enhanced revenant rockets, adaptation of the barrel splashing system to create new liquid surface splashes and new bleeding system, and a menu to disable/enable individual effects.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

New update released - v1.10!
This new version includes new blood effects (visible bleeding from enemies and splats left on floors), environmental fog/smoke, nukage gas caused by barrel explosions, glowing red mist round hell objects, improved fireballs, improved flames, improved water, brighter nukage, brighter lava, new revenant missiles, and improved embers!
Video: https://youtu.be/jvcHqGwsNps
Download: https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-code-bas ... odefx-v110
EddCase
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Release] The Code-Based Visual FX Suite (aka, CodeFX), updated to v1.10!

Post by EddCase »

Loving this with ReLighting viewtopic.php?t=76706 everything looks amazing, Thank you
cosmos10040
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cosmos10040 »

This is great but will there be an options menu to see which effects can be toggled?
BrettBotTheCryonaut

EddCase wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:36 pm Loving this with ReLighting viewtopic.php?t=76706 everything looks amazing, Thank you
Agreed! I 've definitely become a fan of the newest version of ReLighting. I put the minimum brightness all the way down to 50 and it makes for a really great atmosphere. It does seem like something in that mod is messing up the transparency levels of various things like plasma balls, but I'm not sure what the deal is there. I turned off the shader option and that seems like it may have helped.
cosmos10040 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:42 pm This is great but will there be an options menu to see which effects can be toggled?
Yep that was originally on my to-do list for this release but I got impatient and was anxious to get the new effects out there. Next version will have the menu though so every effect can be turned on or off.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Will this work with BrutalDoomv21?
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Skrell wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:10 am Will this work with BrutalDoomv21?
Yes and no. If you load it first then about 75% of what it does will get overwritten with what Brutal Doom does instead. If you load it last then it will overwrite a bunch of things in Brutal Doom which will likely break stuff. This is meant to be more like an enhancement for people wanting a sort of "vanilla plus" experience. I am pretty sure Brutal Doom already does a large portion of what this does anyway (fancier projectiles, fire effects, lighting, etc...).
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

BrettBotTheCryonaut wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:06 pm
Skrell wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:10 am Will this work with BrutalDoomv21?
Yes and no. If you load it first then about 75% of what it does will get overwritten with what Brutal Doom does instead. If you load it last then it will overwrite a bunch of things in Brutal Doom which will likely break stuff. This is meant to be more like an enhancement for people wanting a sort of "vanilla plus" experience. I am pretty sure Brutal Doom already does a large portion of what this does anyway (fancier projectiles, fire effects, lighting, etc...).
Got it thank you for the info!

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”