Separate saves by IWAD in the saves dir.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

yum13241
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): EndeavorOS (basically Arch)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Separate saves by IWAD in the saves dir.

Post by yum13241 »

As of now, it's a huge mess. You get a bunch of loose .zds files in /<gzdoom root>/Saves, which just looks horrible. My proposal is to separate these saves by IWAD, so I if say I want to delete a broken save, I don't have to hunt around. A nice addition would be in the case of Wadsmoosh, to have subdirs for each game inside this hypothetical "Wadsmoosh" dir and in the case of expansions like DK, they get their on dir inside the parent game's dir. None of the dirs should be created unless they have actually played that game. This should be easy to implement, considering that GZDoom already knows what IWAD you are playing.

So what I mean in case you don't understand:

right now inside the saves dir:

save1.zds
save2.zds
save3.zds
and so on...

What I am requesting inside the saves dir:
DOOM Shareware - contains .zds files for Shareware DOOM
Registered DOOM - contains .zds files for 3 ep. DOOM
The Ultimate DOOM - contains .zds files for UltDOOM
DOOM 2 - contains .zds files for DOOM2
Wadsmoosh - Separate folders in here UltDOOM-SIGIL-DOOM-NERVE-TNT-PLUTONIA-Master Levels containing their respective .zds files (nice to have, this sounds hard to implement [the separate subdirs for each game part] )
Heretic - contains .zds files for Heretic
HeXen - contains .zds files for HeXen along with a dir in here for Deathkings
Strife - contains .zds files for Strife
Freedoom 1 - contains .zds files for Freedoom 1
Freedoom 2 - contains .zds files for Freedoom 2
Jezze
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Separate saves by IWAD in the saves dir.

Post by Jezze »

I'm not sure if you already know, but there is a -savedir command line switch, that allows you specify the save directory. You can use this with a launcher to setup separate save directories for each wad/mod.
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

Jezze wrote:I'm not sure if you already know, but there is a -savedir command line switch, that allows you specify the save directory. You can use this with a launcher to setup separate save directories for each wad/mod.

Which gets tedious. Also, if someone just double clicks on it, the switch won't apply. We live in a world where most people (I'm not saying any of you are) are tech-dumb because of captialism and laziness.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

yum13241 wrote: Wadsmoosh - Separate folders in here UltDOOM-SIGIL-DOOM-NERVE-TNT-PLUTONIA-Master Levels containing their respective .zds files (nice to have, this sounds hard to implement [the separate subdirs for each game part] )
This is not possible and will not be done. Wadsmoosh can get its own separate folder but everything is otherwise inside of a single game - even if the games themselves make themselves distinct by episode.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Jezze wrote:I'm not sure if you already know, but there is a -savedir command line switch, that allows you specify the save directory. You can use this with a launcher to setup separate save directories for each wad/mod.
This is simply a workaround and defeats the purpose of the suggestion. The OP's request is quite sound - Raze already does this.
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

Rachael wrote:
This is simply a workaround and defeats the purpose of the suggestion. The OP's request is quite sound - Raze already does this.

Glad to know Raze does this, I thought this was gonna get tagged DIY because of -savedir.
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

Rachael wrote:
yum13241 wrote: Wadsmoosh - Separate folders in here UltDOOM-SIGIL-DOOM-NERVE-TNT-PLUTONIA-Master Levels containing their respective .zds files (nice to have, this sounds hard to implement [the separate subdirs for each game part] )
This is not possible and will not be done. Wadsmoosh can get its own separate folder but everything is otherwise inside of a single game - even if the games themselves make themselves distinct by episode.

Understood.

Edit: quick question, would DK still get it's own folder inside the HeXen folder for example? GZDooom already knows it's Deathkings and not normal HeXen.
yum13241

Post by yum13241 »

Could someone at least give me a status on this request, if you don't want to add it, at least [No] it instead of ghosting the thread.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

yum13241 wrote:Could someone at least give me a status on this request, if you don't want to add it, at least [No] it instead of ghosting the thread.
The devs are busy. They will get to you when they get to you. Being impatient does not make them do things faster.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Be careful what you wish for.

Too bad Darwin awards don't go to people who merely shoot themselves in the foot.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Rachael wrote:Be careful what you wish for.

Too bad Darwin awards don't go to people who merely shoot themselves in the foot.
The guy is asking about it five months later because he probably isn't aware of GZDoom's feature suggestion policy of "when it's done sometime between tomorrow and next century." which most of us are already familiar with. I also don't see the need to get hostile or insulting about it, either. And I like how the thread was closed with [closed by user request] when I highly doubt that's what OP wanted.

This should have stopped at wildweasel's post, really. This monkey's paw thing isn't doing anybody any favors.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Alright, that's enough.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”